Popular Tags: [View All]
James R. Gracen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few of you have downloaded my Case Notes Booklet so far, but I need input on a few mostly cosmetic changes I have planned for a v1.1 of the file.

Here's the filepage for those interested:

Case Notes Booklet

Here are a few key points on changes I'm working on currently:

First of all, I have replaced the existing back page, where the list of Allies is, with a lighter colored page, so the text is more legible. The current darker image used on the page is much too busy and hard to read.

Next, I'm not sure the book needs to be as large as it is. I'm thinking of dropping four pages, and decreasing it from its current 24 pages down to 20 pages in length. For printing, you will use five double sided sheets of paper instead of six. The dropped pages will be one of the four "Introductory Case Notes" pages, two of the "Leads" pages, and one of the three "Additional Notes" pages. This will still leave space for visiting 36 leads, still probably many more than anyone will likely visit.

Actually, question: What is the most leads you have followed in a case?

Another thing I would be able to do is format it for A4 size printing. Would anyone be interested in that?

Please leave comments below with your preferred number of booklet pages (Intro, Leads, and Additional Notes pages).

Please leave comments below with your preferred page size: 8-1/2"x11" or A4 size.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen 20 or more leads on a case. Perhaps you just let people use 2 or more sheets.

If one can do less than double what Sherlock does, that is astounding. Sherlock is a fantasy ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the number of leads can vary quite a bit from player to player depending on how efficiently they investigate and how impatient they are to get to the ending. I'm a bit of a noob, I've only finished three cases, so I don't think my input on how many clues I personally would need would be constructive.

Perhaps eliminating page numbers or adding a space for users to write in the page numbers and letting users print as many as they might like might work better. I downloaded the book to have a look and made myself a copy because it looks cool. If I were to use it regularly, I'd probably print the cover sheet on 110 lbs paper and the rest on regular printer paper. Then I would cut the computer paper sheets in half and use the cover as a folder for the loose 8.5" x 5.5" sheets. My girlfriend and I work on the cases together. We often tend to want to look back at different things, so having a "folder" with loose sheets is preferred to a "book" for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
psychotic33089 wrote:
I think the number of leads can vary quite a bit from player to player depending on how efficiently they investigate and how impatient they are to get to the ending. I'm a bit of a noob, I've only finished three cases, so I don't think my input on how many clues I personally would need would be constructive.

I haven't made it through that many cases yet myself. As such, I didn't know exactly how many Leads pages would be considered normal. I will be leading a group through Case #1 tomorrow, in fact, to try to catch some of them up with our normal group.

psychotic33089 wrote:
Perhaps eliminating page numbers or adding a space for users to write in the page numbers and letting users print as many as they might like might work better. I downloaded the book to have a look and made myself a copy because it looks cool. If I were to use it regularly, I'd probably print the cover sheet on 110 lbs paper and the rest on regular printer paper. Then I would cut the computer paper sheets in half and use the cover as a folder for the loose 8.5" x 5.5" sheets...

Leaving a blank space for the page # was something I thought of early on, but then when trying to get the header formatting correct, I kind of forgot about. But that's a good Idea. I could keep the file size down by eliminating the multiple pages that only had Leads on the front and back, and allow players to print out multiple copies of those pages as needed.

That way, if you need to insert more Leads pages mid-game, you can still do that. Maybe after you finish the case, you can just staple along the spine to trap all the loose pages in, so they don't get lost, etc.

And I forgot to mention elsewhere that its a good idea to print the cover on cardstock for extra rigidity, and to give it more of a book-like feel.

Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd very much prefer A4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gawain wrote:
I'd very much prefer A4

Me too.

And thank you for all the hard work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer A4.
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Johnson wrote:
I have seen 20 or more leads on a case. Perhaps you just let people use 2 or more sheets.

If one can do less than double what Sherlock does, that is astounding. Sherlock is a fantasy ideal.

Agreed. I think a good number of "Leads" pages is three front and back, comprising 12 pages of the booklet. I.e. print the PDF "Leads" pg. 5-6 front to back, and print three copies of it. At three leads per booklet page, that gives you space for 36 leads. If you don't use them all, add the blank pages to your Case Notes Booklet for the *next* case.

Gawain wrote:
I'd very much prefer A4

A4 formatting is in the works...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.