$20.00
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those struggling to understand the concept of Black Lives Matter, this article may help.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-tale-face-eati...

In short, after describing an incident with an armed White cannabilistic killer NOT being killed by the police, the story details several anecdotes where African-Americans in a range of situations were simply shot and killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
For those struggling to understand the concept of Black Lives Matter

In short, BLM is a way to get political traction on tragedies by claiming they are based on race and not behavior.

Also I counter with Faith Ekakitie, A giant black man held at gun point and not shot.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2016/07/23/faith...

We can do this all day if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, an innocent African American NOT getting shot by police is news. That says a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Let's pause and recap for a moment.

A man known to carry a switchblade brutally murders a beloved couple, stabs their neighbor, and begins to eat one of them.

No let's pause and discuss the fact that someone starting eating another fucking human being. I really can't follow the rest of the author's point because that is just so sick and fucked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Hmmmm. A problem with black people being shot in democrat controlled cities, and the organization making an issue of it is tied strongly to the democrat party.

Yeah. That'll work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:
For those struggling to understand the concept of Black Lives Matter

In short, BLM is a way to get political traction on tragedies by claiming they are based on race and not behavior.

Also I counter with Faith Ekakitie, A giant black man held at gun point and not shot.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2016/07/23/faith...

We can do this all day if you like.
YOu do understand the difference between continuing to commit a crime and ignoring police instructions, and just standing there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Quote:
Let's pause and recap for a moment.

A man known to carry a switchblade brutally murders a beloved couple, stabs their neighbor, and begins to eat one of them.

No let's pause and discuss the fact that someone starting eating another fucking human being. I really can't follow the rest of the author's point because that is just so sick and fucked up.

Perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Hmmmm. A problem with black people being shot in democrat controlled cities, and the organization making an issue of it is tied strongly to the democrat party.

Yeah. That'll work.

Four of Miami's last 6 mayors have been Rs.

Try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
For those struggling to understand the concept of Black Lives Matter, this article may help.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-tale-face-eati...

In short, after describing an incident with an armed White cannabilistic killer NOT being killed by the police, the story details several anecdotes where African-Americans in a range of situations were simply shot and killed.

It find it quite humorous that you include the word "anecdote" but don't understand the logical fallacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawn - why don't you try to explain it?

Anecdotes are not proof of an idea, but they are often useful to help understand a concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

Anecdotes are not proof of an idea, but they are often useful to help understand a concept.

The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it is almost always cherry picked. Anecdotes are not useful at all for explaining anything, but statistics are. Like the fact that more white men were shot by the police last year than black men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it is almost always cherry picked. Anecdotes are not useful at all for explaining anything, but statistics are. Like the fact that more white men were shot by the police last year than black men.

God damn it.

You KNOW whites outnumber blacks by close to 5:1. Blacks would have to be killed at over 500% the rate of whites for as many blacks to be killed as whites in absolute terms.

They are only killed at over 300% the rate of whites.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/new-alton-sterling-...

Like here where the police shot Sterling and THEN pulled the gun out of his pocket. This is very graphic and shows him being shot, shows him bleeding out and shows them taking the gun from his pocket.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/us/police-shootings-investigat...
And said he threatened them with a gun.

You had a decent point going, I was seriously about to thumb/tip you and then you decided to dip into racist white asshole statistic. Damn that pisses me off.

---

Yes, anecdotal data is anecdotal data but it does draw a good comparison when the situations are similar and police are much more careful not to shoot the white person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
sfox wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

God damn it.

You KNOW whites outnumber blacks by close to 5:1. Blacks would have to be killed at over 500% the rate of whites for as many blacks to be killed as whites in absolute terms.

Like here where the police shot Sterling and THEN pulled the gun out of his pocket. This is very graphic and shows him being shot, shows him bleeding out and shows them taking the gun from his pocket.

You had a decent point going, I was seriously about to thumb/tip you and then you decided to dip into racist white asshole statistic. Damn that pisses me off.

---

Yes, anecdotal data is anecdotal data but it does draw a good comparison when the situations are similar and police are much more careful not to shoot the white person.

I had actually put a smiley face after saying that white men were shot by the police more often than black men but then I erased it before I posted. My real point there was that even statistics can lie, but I wanted to have an argument about it so I figured I'd leave it and then make the rest of my point later, assuming someone actually figured out that I was throwing out some bullshit with my statistics. People don't like reading long posts, like this one here, so I don't usually bother.

That said, black men do commit a lot more crimes than white men on a per capita basis. When you look deeper into the numbers, that is even more true of violent crimes, where blacks commit violent crimes at rates far beyond whites.

Also the statistics are that cops kill approximately twice as many whites as blacks, so on a per capita basis that is about 2.5x as likely for a cop to kill a black person than a white person. However, if you look at the number of crimes committed per capita, the numbers suddenly don't look so bad. Blacks criminals are killed by the police at slightly higher rates than white criminals, but not so much that it looks improbable, especially when you consider the types of crimes being committed by blacks compared to whites.

I love to have a rational conversations, but it seems to me that is impossible with liberals on issues like racism and gun control, just as it is impossible with conservatives on many of their trigger issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

My problem with anecdotes like this story here is that the automatic assumption is racism. This same sort of shit happens to whites as well, but it never shows up in the news. There are somewhere close to a million police officers in the US. Given numbers like that it is virtually certain that there are a lot of incompetent ones. Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

I love to have a rational conversations, but it seems to me that is impossible with liberals on issues like racism and gun control, just as it is impossible with conservatives on many of their trigger issues.

I call bullshit. You knowingly and intentionally saboatged the conversation. That is strong evidence that you have no desire to have a rational conversation - you have already drawn your conclusions not only about the issues we might discuss, but about the views others will have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
sfox wrote:

I call bullshit. You knowingly and intentionally saboatged the conversation. That is strong evidence that you have no desire to have a rational conversation - you have already drawn your conclusions not only about the issues we might discuss, but about the views others will have.

And your post that started this discussion is unbiased? You haven't drawn any conclusions? You don't already know this particular event was caused by racism? I call bullshit on your bullshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those struggling to understand the concept of Black Lives Matter, this video may help.

Black lives Matter community organizer Joseph Kyles, is against police violence. Beating a pregnant woman thought it tote's kewl !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those struggling to understand the concept of Black Lives Matter, this video may help.

Korryn Gaines was a BLM prop until the video showed up. Also, using your small child as a bullet shield is totes kewl !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Drew1365 wrote:
Not to be outdone by any BLM cartoons, Drew finds an excellent photo of a white homeless man that has been circulated in similar threads for over 10 years, thereby demonstrating the non-existence of white privilege definitively once and for all. All hail, Drew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
demonstrating the non-existence of white privileged definitively once and for all.

Here is modern day white privilege, or not ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
sfox wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

God damn it.

---

I had actually put a smiley face after saying that white men were shot by the police more often than black men but then I erased it before I posted. My real point there was that even statistics can lie, but I wanted to have an argument about it so I figured I'd leave it and then make the rest of my point later, assuming someone actually figured out that I was throwing out some bullshit with my statistics. People don't like reading long posts, like this one here, so I don't usually bother.

That said, black men do commit a lot more crimes than white men on a per capita basis. When you look deeper into the numbers, that is even more true of violent crimes, where blacks commit violent crimes at rates far beyond whites.

Also the statistics are that cops kill approximately twice as many whites as blacks, so on a per capita basis that is about 2.5x as likely for a cop to kill a black person than a white person. However, if you look at the number of crimes committed per capita, the numbers suddenly don't look so bad. Blacks criminals are killed by the police at slightly higher rates than white criminals, but not so much that it looks improbable, especially when you consider the types of crimes being committed by blacks compared to whites.

Part of the reason that blacks "commit more crimes" has already been shown by studies to be unequal enforcement. The black kid is arrested and gets a record while the white kid is picked up by their parents without a criminal record.

Part is stopping blacks at a higher rate.
Searching them at a higher rate.
And then ticketing and arresting them at a higher rate.

And yes, people who live in poverty and have no hope for the future do commit more crimes.

And yes, people clumped into mono racial neighborhoods and given poor hostile law enforcement for generations do develop asocial behaviors.

And yes real estate agents do refuse to even offer decent housing to qualified middle class blacks as recently as 2014.

And yes, the libraries and public schools in white neighborhoods get more funding and have newer, better equipment.

---

Having black skin and african features tags people for being treated worse by judges, lawyers, police officers, real estate agents, etc. They are just as smart, capable of hard work (if society doesnsn't stiff them) as any other u.s. citizen.

And apologists and racists attack blacks continuously every day. They flock around Trump's campaign like flies around dog poop.

Trumps senior advisor runs one of the largest racist and anti-semetic web sites out there. Any other candidate would be pilloried for having this guy running their campaigns.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2010/07/21/big-falsehoods-a...

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/04/28/breitbartcom-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
sfox wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

God damn it.

---

Right, but only morons lie with statistics to make a point.

Sadly, most of the world consists of morons who would rather win an argument than actually be correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
actuaryesquire wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Yeah. That'll work.

Four of Miami's last 6 mayors have been Rs.

Try again.

I thought Miami was fairly safe. Haven't looked recently, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Beyond that, after the recent lynchings BLM committed, I don't think anyone can take you seriously when you try to claim that opposing them is racist. But then again, there were people that seriously tried to make the case that the KKK was just about protecting whites, so I guess there ARE people that out there.

Want to help the black community? STOP IGNORING CRIME IN BLACK COMMUNITIES. This will help those who abide by the law, but you have to judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. This racist culture that the left-wing pushes constantly telling black people that they're "trying to be white" if they're not thugs is creating a disproprtionate number of black criminals- of course, what would we expect from the party of the KKK? More black criminals means more good people in black communities die, and if you try to help them out by arresting the criminals, you're the one accused of racism- it's a win-win for racists, and a lose-lose for those who believe all men are created equal.

You want to know what would help even more? Stop thinking of black people as "black people". Just think of them as people. There's a greater difference between a white man and a white woman than a black man and a white man.

Oh, and since you brought up dishonest statistics, I'd like to point out that you seem to want to ignore that if there's a white man and a black man in the same situation with the police, the white man is more likely to be killed according to the statistics. Why? Oh, I don't know, maybe because they don't have to worry about racists in the KKK and BLM using the situation to further drive a divide between idiots that obsess over melanin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:

Oh, and since you brought up dishonest statistics, I'd like to point out that you seem to want to ignore that if there's a white man and a black man in the same situation with the police, the white man is more likely to be killed according to the statistics.

This is only true if you don't understand basic math. Yes more whites are killed, but PROPORTION MATTERS in this case. If, as you postulated, a white man and a black man are in the same situation with police, the black man is 2.5 more likely to be killed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-police-sho...

"Police have shot and killed a young black man (ages 18 to 29) - such as Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri -175 times since January 2015; 24 of them were unarmed. Over that same period, police have shot and killed 172 young white men, 18 of whom were unarmed. Once again, while in raw number there were similar totals of white and black victims, blacks were killed at rates disproportionate to their percentage of the U.S. population. Of all of the unarmed people shot and killed by police in 2015, 40 percent of them were black men, even though black men make up just 6 percent of the nation's population."

This is about the fifth thread on the topic that this has had to be pointed out to a certain gleefully ignorant segment of this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.