Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: Thief movement with climb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hendrix

St Louis
Missouri
msg tools
We played a game yesterday where we came to the conclusion that the thief could use his action "climb" to move one space, even if he had used all of his actual movement points with the interpretation that "cross one wall" meant that he automatically moved to the square on the other side.

Unfortunately this allowed the thief to move CRAZY distances without little effort. Is this a correct interpretation? It basically allowed the thief to run to a treasure and back to the opening in one move without any way for us to stop him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mb
The Thief's Climb works much like the Knight's Ancient Map.

It allows passage through/over the wall, but does not provide any bonus movement on its own - all of that has to come from the Thief's movement stat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
The Thief's Climb works much like the Knight's Ancient Map.

It allows passage through/over the wall, but does not provide any bonus movement on its own - all of that has to come from the Thief's movement stat.

Reading the original rules for the Thief, the last paragraph of Climb states:
Original Rules wrote:
Using this action does not reduce your movement cost to make these moves.

Ah, I see the misunderstanding now -- when I read it the first time I interpreted that line to mean that movement points were not reduced by climb. A better phrasing might be:
Proposed Change wrote:
Using this action still costs one movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Ah, I see the misunderstanding now -- when I read it the first time I interpreted that line to mean that movement points were not reduced by climb. A better phrasing might be:
Proposed Change wrote:
Using this action still costs one movement.

Except using climb to cross over a Canyon space uses 2 (since you end up moving 2 tiles). The wording is good as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
Except using climb to cross over a Canyon space uses 2 (since you end up moving 2 tiles).

Ah, so it does.
dsdhornet wrote:
The wording is good as is.

Well, it's correct as-is, but I think it could be simpler. Agreed that's it's a minor issue, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.