Hide
22 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Pimping Out Potential? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Varney
msg tools
Many of us like to pimp out our games. I found some red, blue and, yellow gems to use as resource tokens. Anybody else, see any other potential components to bling out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of potential for this one :
Why stop at components though ?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/16d9/?srp=7
Full disclosure : I already own one .
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
enie wrote:

shake

I think this should be a requirement to play! But, finding Klingon and Romulan costumes is a bit more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
enie wrote:

shake

I think this should be a requirement to play! But, finding Klingon and Romulan costumes is a bit more difficult.

Then people are not trying hard enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I'm got all of you beat there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

You will have wait for the expansion sir .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mackie
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mb
XFRodney wrote:
Many of us like to pimp out our games. I found some red, blue and, yellow gems to use as resource tokens. Anybody else, see any other potential components to bling out?

Just wondering where you got these from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Varney
msg tools
I'm ready for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XFRodney wrote:
I'm ready for the expansion.

Turn it upside down and you have a completely different faction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. We found that there were barely enough Culture Tokens with three players. So unless more are included with the expansions--I expect they will be--we started using the plastic "stones" I have for all colors as supplements.

2. I'm now gluing and painting up my nine Resin Star Bases. Since I play on a felt surface and the bases are a bit wobbly on it, I plan to set them on top of the cardboard ones that come with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Varney
msg tools
Mayday Games

https://www.maydaygames.com/products/gemstones-plastic-gems-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
enie wrote:

shake

Awesome! Each resource you get, and you have to put on another shirt. It'll be nice and warm towards endgame!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Hughes
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Keep flying.
mbmbmbmbmb

Klingon player marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
r1100rl wrote:

Klingon player marker.

Nice. Mine has black wraps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could maybe use the ships that came in starter set of Attack Wing as player markers ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
1. We found that there were barely enough Culture Tokens with three players. So unless more are included with the expansions--I expect they will be--we started using the plastic "stones" I have for all colors as supplements.

2. I'm now gluing and painting up my nine Resin Star Bases. Since I play on a felt surface and the bases are a bit wobbly on it, I plan to set them on top of the cardboard ones that come with the game.

did you hoard the tokens during play? as there is no need for it.
how many tokens are there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For exact numbers see my Components By The Numbers in the Files section. But you get lots of Production tokens, fewer Research tokens, and a much smaller allotment of Cultural tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

I agree. There are only 20 in the base game. That's only about 6 or 7 per player, but honestly once you have 7 or so there's no reason not to turn 5 of them in for an Ascendancy token. Gaining an Ascendancy token gains you an extra command token, increases the number of Starbases you can build, and increases the number of active Fleets you can commission. Plus, of course, gaining Ascendancy is the whole point of the game. Hoarding the tokens just slows your own growth.

It's worth noting that the rulebook says that the Supply (resource nodes and shared tokens) "is considered to be unlimited" (page 5). So you can't deny your opponents the tokens by hoarding them. I guess if you have a hoarder in your game and you run out of tokens, you should just use some kind of proxy token until the supply refills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

I'll take that bet. I have General Martok's actual Klingon appliances, worn and signed by JG Hertzler. Bought in a moment of insanity. (And partially because both JG and Robert O'Reilly/Gowron were fantastic to meet and hang out with!) shake

As for hoarding culture, I found the supply running low during my first game yesterday. As the Federation, I had a horrible draw of planets and pretty much my only income was culture. So while the vast Klingon and Romulan armadas eyed each other, I was in no hurry to suddenly ascend way past them. I had nine at one point, and that was enough to almost leave the supply dry. I didn't have the production to produce 3 fleets and had no need for more starbases, so I had no reason to turn them in sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

Gaining an Ascendancy token gains you an extra command token, increases the number of Starbases you can build, and increases the number of active Fleets you can commission.

Gaining Ascendancy doesn't give you an extra command token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
chas59 wrote:

Physical Token limits have only been a problem on a game where someone is hoarding. And they don't get a surprise victory or anything, we all see the huge stack, lol. Besides trying to do a massive hegemony push, if you have more than 7-8 in a turn, there is no reason not to convert.

And you are supposed to set the starbases on the cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also dont forget that your ascendancy level is used in some rolls, the higher it is, the better in general, not just for starbases/fleets
while klingon/romulans might not be likely to hegemonize your remaining planets, nothing stops them from actually doing it, then that +1 in ascendancy is handy to increase their chances of failing.
and if you want to hegemonize their planets, the bonus is added as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.