Popular Tags: [View All]
rupert rompecabezas
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think? A few comments:

* Asymmetric starting powers (ships) are very cool and look like they'll nudge you strategically. I like the whole upgrade feel to the player boards.

* I like that the typical Feld tracks (gods in this case) have a purpose other than "advance my pawn for points or turn order."

* Set collection as punishment (injury cards) is an interesting twist.

* Not sure what to think about combat yet.

* The central dice-mancala mechanic is awesome.

* I like the colorful board and bits.

I can't wait to play!

Rules in case you missed them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
robrizob wrote:
* Asymmetric starting powers (ships) are very cool and look like they'll nudge you strategically.

Worried because time has proven that game designers can't balance asymmetric powers, especially when they insist on putting them in already difficult to balance dice games with randomized set-up. These look reasonably minor.

Also slightly worried that some player may just get screwed on where his shrines need to be built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
robrizob wrote:
* Asymmetric starting powers (ships) are very cool and look like they'll nudge you strategically.

Worried because time has proven that game designers can't balance asymmetric powers, especially when they insist on putting them in already difficult to balance dice games with randomized set-up. These look reasonably minor.

Also slightly worried that some player may just get screwed on where his shrines need to be built.

screw balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rupert rompecabezas
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
golden_cow2 wrote:
robrizob wrote:

screw balance.

Faith in Feld, I say.

*makes the sign of the oracle*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy about what I understood from the rules, despite of the fact that there is a lot of random in them (your dice, your oponent dice, cards, powers, shrines...)
There is a lot of Feld's soul in the game, but I'm not sure I would have guessed Feld made this if I didn't know it beforehand!

Hope this will be another [different] big hit from one of the best designers out there (in my opinion)

Can't wait to try this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
falenheld wrote:
...Hope this will be another [different] big hit from one of the best designers out there (in my opinion)...

Trust me, you are not alone in that thought. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skimmed the rules.. So are the goals in the game the same for each player? Is it basically a race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rupert rompecabezas
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Skimmed the rules.. So are the goals in the game the same for each player? Is it basically a race?

Yes, it's a race. The only difference in goals that I can tell is in the placement of your shrines. Players will have different symbols requiring them to go to certain islands to place their shrines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robrizob wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Yes, it's a race. The only difference in goals that I can tell is in the placement of your shrines. Players will have different symbols requiring them to go to certain islands to place their shrines.

I'm worried this could get a little redundant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that all players have all different shrine symbols. Based on the player board reference there are only 4 different symbols. So you can't have 3 different shrines than everybody else.

Second of all, please don't call it mancala. It's got nothing to do with mancala other than it's round.

I like everything about the game but the luck-based (mitigateable [yeah, I made up the word]) combat. Despite being a race I like the fact that there are 3 red monsters in a 3-player game. 3 red goods to deliver to 3 red temples etc. The order in which you do things is important. Unlike in other pick up and deliver games it's not like "maybe I'll take this slightly longer route, because it will net me more money/points in the long run". No, in here every goal you meet progresses you exactly one step forward, not two or three.

Despite reservations about combat, I will be buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rupert rompecabezas
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
I don't think that all players have all different shrine symbols. Based on the player board reference there are only 4 different symbols. So you can't have 3 different shrines than everybody else.

I didn't mean to imply that everybody had all different symbols on their shrine tiles, but it looks like the different player colors may have different symbol distributions. Otherwise why hide the island tiles?

BartP wrote:
Second of all, please don't call it mancala. It's got nothing to do with mancala other than it's round.

MANCALA MANCALA MANCALA

Rondel, action clock, oracle thingamabob--whatever it is, it looks fun to manipulate.

It all looks great. I don't mind luck in a game, especially when it's as skillfully interwoven as Feld tends to make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
In fact there ARE 12 different symbols, so every picture is unique. But the symbols for each player are kept in the same color, so you can identify them easily.Forget this answer, I mixed up "symbol" and "picture"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 12 island tiles; 3 in each player color (one with each of the symbols). They are hidden because you need to find the islands in your player color. Finding an island in an opponents color gives you a benefit based on the symbol but for your own tiles the symbol is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, another Race Salad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
Great, another Race Salad.

I know, I'm excited too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it looks awesome! Variable player powers? No point salad? Race?

Are you sure this is a Feld?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
There are 12 island tiles; 3 in each player color (one with each of the symbols). They are hidden because you need to find the islands in your player color. Finding an island in an opponents color gives you a benefit based on the symbol but for your own tiles the symbol is irrelevant.

I don't believe this is true. Yes, there are 12 island tiles, but they are *not* in player colors. Instead they are in die face colors. There are overall 6 various die face colors, hence there are 2 islands in each color. 3 islands always share one of the four symbols. From what I gather your Shrine Zeus tiles simply will not contain one of the four island symbols.

So when this is your first island exploration you have 75% chance to reveal something you might actually be interested in. If it was a success, then the subsequent trial has lower probability of success (provided nobody else revealed any island), because now 2 symbols are ruled out: the one you never wanted and the one you achieved previously. So your chances drop to 55% (6/11). That's why peeking at island tiles might be helpful later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
golden_cow2 wrote:

I don't believe this is true. Yes, there are 12 island tiles, but they are *not* in player colors. Instead they are in die face colors. There are overall 6 various die face colors, hence there are 2 islands in each color. 3 islands always share one of the four symbols. From what I gather your Shrine Zeus tiles simply will not contain one of the four island symbols.

So when this is your first island exploration you have 75% chance to reveal something you might actually be interested in. If it was a success, then the subsequent trial has lower probability of success (provided nobody else revealed any island), because now 2 symbols are ruled out: the one you never wanted and the one you achieved previously. So your chances drop to 55% (6/11). That's why peeking at island tiles might be helpful later on.
The answer of golden_cow2 is correct: There are really 12 different pictures on the islands. We put some coloured elements on the pictures, so that the players can identify "their" islands more easily. For example the blue player has some water elements on them.
So you don't only have to find the symbol on your Zeus tile, also the picture must match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read em last night (not that I even had to) and I gotta say that I am pumped! Nitpick: I like the monster tokens just fine, they're quite Euroey and am all for that. But some cool mini's or maybe even some standee's like the Zeus piece would have been even better imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Testa
Italy
Genova
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When i saw the components and i saw a d10 i thought : what's going on?
When i read the combat part things got worse and i thought "feld is getting crazy!" :-)
Don't you think that the combat mechanic is too aleatory?
Being effectively a race Don't you think that a game could be determined by a specific number of tries on a single monster?
The rest of the game is pretty euro, so this part seems to be totally out of scope.
A solution could be to increase +1 the number of shields when you lose a dice during a combat, this way you would have the positive side effect that you could be more efficient when you fight the titans at the end of the turn.
If not, there is a high risk that you MUST take favours, equipment, companions and Ares favour in order to do a viable strategy.
Waiting for your opinion about it!
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Clemson shocks Alabama in a classic title game to claim the championship of college football!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigerpanzer wrote:
Being effectively a race, don't you think that a game could be determined by a specific number of tries on a single monster?

Yup, that does worry me a bit. Similarly, what if you get unlucky trying to find your island tiles? (Not only will you have to keep searching, but you've made things easier for one of your opponents!)

These things do concern me and, yes, they do seem out of place for a Euro. But I have a great deal of faith in Feld and Ralph Braun, so I'm still very much looking forward to trying it out. Right now, none of us can say how the game will play. Unless you're an Oracle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Colombo
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Tigerpanzer wrote:
Being effectively a race, don't you think that a game could be determined by a specific number of tries on a single monster?

Yup, that does worry me a bit. Similarly, what if you get unlucky trying to find your island tiles? (Not only will you have to keep searching, but you've made things easier for one of your opponents!)

These things do concern me and, yes, they do seem out of place for a Euro. But I have a great deal of faith in Feld and Ralph Braun, so I'm still very much looking forward to trying it out. Right now, none of us can say how the game will play. Unless you're an Oracle!

It's true what you are saying about the islands discovery but in that case the game reward you,while if you lose a battle you get nothing, you lose the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rupert rompecabezas
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ufotexspa wrote:

It's true what you are saying about the islands discovery but in that case the game reward you,while if you lose a battle you get nothing, you lose the dice.

Hey, I've played Luna with you on yucata.de! I'm chickenscratch over there.

With regard to the luck of the island draw, there is the option to use your dice to peek at two face-down islands. Now, this might not help you if it turns out your islands are spread apart or really far away, but at least you won't waste an action turning over an island that's not yours. I could also see this used as a bluffing mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to play this!

From the rules, there's one thing I find curious and wish to clarify. On page 5, it states if you begin your turn with no injury cards you can either take 1 favor token or advance 1 god. Yet the corresponding picture on the board depicts 2 favor tokens. Is the image just misleading or were the rules in error?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blazur wrote:
I'm excited to play this!

From the rules, there's one thing I find curious and wish to clarify. On page 5, it states if you begin your turn with no injury cards you can either take 1 favor token or advance 1 god. Yet the corresponding picture on the board depicts 2 favor tokens. Is the image just misleading or were the rules in error?

Thanks.

On the rules files comments section the first post is the same question. And the reply is from the dev's, they have since fixed the error. The image is correct, the written part is the typo.

Hi Mike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.