Subject: Strange choices for Primary Industry cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert Alorro
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I have a little quibble regarding what some of the blue cards represent. It's just odd that a Japanese game designer would ignore what actual farmers grow on the rural outback in the Land of the Rising Sun. I'm curious why Masao Suganuma chose Wheat Fields over Rice Paddys? Also, Apple Orchards over Orange Groves? When did Japan become a major producer of apples? In 1999, rice production in Japan exceeded 11.5 million tons, whereas wheat a mere 583 thousand tons. Japanese apple production 794K tons and mandarin oranges 1.36M tons.

In the Millionaire's Row expansion for the original game, Vineyards and Corn Fields were included, whereas soybeans (187,000 tons) and tea (91,000 tons) are much more important crops grown in Japan. I know these are minor choices, probably to make the game more palatable to western tastes and make the mechanics leading to bakeries and wineries more practical. It just makes it feel, well less Japanese. It's like someone asking "Can I have my unagi on a sesame wholewheat bun with extra ketchup and no wasabi?" yuk Or a Miyazaki film set in a modern urbanized setting, with everybody looking at their smartphones playing Pokemon Go and without any shape-shifting spirits following them around. robot I know others had concerns relating to the underlying mechanics. But seriously, How do you have a Sushi bar with any rice? C'mon! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.