Popular Tags: [View All]
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played MS and Runescape only - can someone please give me some recs based on this? I think I'm semi casual or so.

In Runescape, I love that I was able to randomly cut trees for wood, fish for food, mine and smelt for weapons, and all these were skills that got better. This was in 2006 I think though and I didn't like graphics or the combat. I dislike turn based combat where I hit a lot of zeroes and 1s. The quests were interesting too like having to go to the desert place or the jail and meet certain conditions.

MapleStory I played for 2005-2008/9 ish and sporadically up to reboot. I liked the real time action combat more and enjoyed seeing my damage increase and getting items immediately from the dropped monsters. I like the four stats I could put into but wish it weren't SO focused (ex Warriors ONLY focused on STR and DEX, no luck or intelligence which I wanted to up) and having more stats would be cool. I love cute art since I love anime and I think I prefer the 2D. I liked party quests but hated how Grindy it was and how many scammers/hackers/immature ppl were. I also hated how many quests felt really Grindy and repetitive but I liked the amount of content like bosses that spawned sometimes and being able to do dungeon quests and craft items and different shops and free markets with items for sale. Dislike inflation but that can't be helped sometimes.

Regarding PvP, I tried League of Legends and found it frustrating and never enjoyed it in Runescape while MS's was just okay and not real PvP imo. I guess I don't absolutely need it and would prefer a sandbox world.

I also tried Ragnarok briefly but not enough to come to things with it. I think I was an archer and do enjoy a variety of classic races and jobs (always preferred thief most).

I find the stories in most of these lacking but a decent story may be enjoyable. Oh and more char customization is good of course. And more equips and maybe spells and crafts and abilities and free roaming capabilities would be good too I suppose.

Also even though I prefer action, it doesn't have to be. I solo more than a group but a decent community wouldn't be remiss either.

Based on this, can anyone recommend me their top 1 or 2 MMOs? I prefer Free 2 Play obviously but could be convinced to do possibly do 1 Time Payment or maybeeee Subscription if it's really good.

The more streamlined, time tested and high quality graphics the better but these are much lower priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guild Wars 2 might be a good option for you. It's FtP. If you enjoy it you'll probably want to buy a copy plus the expansion. It has gathering and crafting, although gathering skills don't get better it's just something you do. The combat is quite dynamic, and when you get good at it you can pull off cool combos between your skills and between you and other players.

The player customization is primarily through equipment, although what skills/specializations you choose also have quite an effect. The exploration in the game is tremendously fun, with the quests integrated into the environment. There's hardly any repetitive running back and forth, go wonder around and do what you want to.

The storyline is fairly neat. If you are an altaholic (like I was) it'll get a bit boring around level 30 (out of 80) where all the different races/characters merge into a single storyline. I think I completed it with only one character. Still, the open world has plenty else for you to do. There's also the Living World, which are new stories that they keep adding that anybody can do (not just those that have completed the main storyline).

There are dungeons (including a bunch of endgame stuff), WvW (world versus world) and PvP as well. I didn't get into those too much, but they may appeal to you. After leveling 8 characters to 80 I didn't feel like doing the grind to optimize equipment for them, so I mostly dropped off. I still check in every once in a while, and I'll probably buy the expansion the next time it's on sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're okay with instance based and not open world, Path of Exile is awesome. It is free to play (as in, micro-transactions for cosmetics only), and by far the best action RPG available at the moment if you're looking for a time sink. Amazing character customization options. The skill tree is insane.

One of the best aspects of it is that instead of finding gold, you find consumables that let you manipulate other items, creating a really unique chance based crafting system. Even the skills your character uses are items, and those skill gems level up as you use them. They get socketed into items, and multiple skill gems can be linked together to create really cool moves. I just can't say enough about POE. Check out the skill tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

If you want a more traditional MMO progression system, Diablo 3 is another action RPG. More approachable than Path of Exile. It has changed a ton since its initial release. Really polished.

If you're looking to explore, No Mans Sky just came out. Super polarizing game, essentially a proceduraly generated universe that you explore. Things you discover get marked that other people can see. Not really multiplayer, though.

For small scale MMO feel, there are Minecraft servers running MMO mods. Worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
If you're okay with instance based and not open world, Path of Exile is awesome. It is free to play (as in, micro-transactions for cosmetics only), and by far the best action RPG available at the moment if you're looking for a time sink. Amazing character customization options. The skill tree is insane.

I love PoE, but I wouldn't really call it an MMO in the traditional sense. You can play with a few others but the vast majority of the player base isn't really there except if you want to trade with them. I've played it for years without ever interacting with another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Lord of the Rings online. I played this when it was pay to play and it was awesome. Now it is free to play but microtransactions, but I don't like they way they handle them. Definitely worth the download to create a hobbit and wander around the virtual shire even if you don't end up playing.

I'd agree with this one - LotR:O was the best of them that I'd run into, but I never did much with MMOs. Ultimately too much grind (even, in this case, if it was chopping trees and mining stones to craft better weapons or armor - I seem to recall the crafting system in this game was quite good)

FWIW, when I'm on the PC, I'm usually playing Planetside 2 anymore. Also an MMO, but...FPS, not RPG. (So think 'Battlefield 2' only with maps many times larger, battles many times larger, and persistent rather than resetting after each match)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: The Old Republic has the best MMO storylines of any game I've played. They rival the storylines in KOTOR and other single player RPGs. It is probably my favorite MMO overall.

The Secret World has really interesting stories and puzzles as well that are actually challenging sometimes.

Of the "traditional" RPGs I like Rift and EQ2 the best though have also played and enjoyed WoW, Neverwinter, Guildwars 2, and probably others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Eve Online is another worth mentioning, it's nothing like any other, and it has a very high learning curve and to be honest it took me a few weeks before I really got into it. You have to get goals for it really to be fun, and join a group of fun people to take on their goals until you know enough to figure out what your own are. But I spent years playing it and even met my husband playing it. It's the only MMO where I got really close to other players, I am still "real life" friends with a number of people I met in Eve and that's never happened in any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DC online is killed by its combo system. CoH still remains the one true superhero game, RIP.

PoE as mentioned isn't a MMO, and honestly is for mix maxers.

If I had the time, I would instantly sub for SW:TOR. I know LotR also get a lot of love, and I enjoyed my brief play. SW:TOR clicked for me more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As my only gripe against LotR:O (and lacking experience with the full range of MMOs, I can't speak to how widespread the issue is)...

I was very used to single-player RPGs like Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim...and what surprised me on this was how many "painted on doors" there were. Didn't strike me as much in the Elven lands, but once I got to Hobbiton, it was all...wow. So many, many doors in hillsides that you walk up to, and...nope. Just terrain texture, nothing there.

That...honestly, that was the thing that had me leave the game. Definitely a serious immersion-breaker. For the 'living nature' of the world, you've got your quest-related locations (quest givers and quest destinations), and...nothing else.

But if that isn't an issue, I do have to admit...I put a LOT of hours into the game before that grated enough to leave. The crafting system (usually my go-to interest in MMOs) is, in this case, absolutely fantastic.

And, of course, for story...I mean...Lord of the Rings. So..yeah. You aren't going to beat that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) at the mo and really enjoying it. It has an optional subscription model at £9 a month. I picked the game up from a Steam sale for half price. You can either purchase the DLC separately or subscribe to access all of it. It has blacksmith/clothier/alchemist/enchanter/provisioner/woodworker crafting skills which improve as you use them and also as you allocate skill points to them gained from levelling up and certain quest rewards.

Rift is fun to play. So is Final Fantasy XIV, especially being able to completely swap around your jobs (class) on the same character with no penalties. Jobs are grouped into Harvest, Crafting and Combat which can be freely switched between.

I think I had over 6 months of real time on LotRO. I really enjoyed it up to and including the Moria expansion as the people playing were some of the nicest and polite players I'd ever met in an MMO. Unfortunately the Free to Play changed that. I had a lifetime account but have not played now for several years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can certainly play POE as a min-max game, but if you like complex systems it is just as fun to play through at a normal pace. There are builds for all of the Timmys, Johnnys and Spikes.

As for the MMO bit - if you want an open shared world, this isn't it. But if you want persistent servers, trading economy, guilds, and challenging end game content, POE is the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.