Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all!

I really like how this game looks, but my gaming group doesn't like real time games (me neither). I've skimmed through the rules, and somehow I got the impression that the game can be playable without the time limit (it could be easy though).
Is the time limit replacable with an action point system? I know the real time phase is tense, but the game's mechanics seem to be working without it.

My other question is about the replayability. Are there random elements in the story chapters? For example, it's mentioned in the BGG game overview that one of the stories is about a caped killer. Is it always the same person, or is the killer randomized? If the story is always the same, then the replayability isn't too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Risdon
United States
South Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory, the game would work fine mechanically without the timer. Like you said, it would probably be quite a bit easier; the clock really brings the pressure. It isn't uncommon for us to think we have everything figured out with a minute or two left and realize we need to do some last minute scrambling because we assigned something incorrectly. (One common error when scanning the map is to assign the wrong number tile because you looked at the strength of the card instead of the location number). That type of tension would be lost without the timer.

In terms of replayability, the overall story doesn't really change at all from what I can tell. My wife and I have played through the first three stories and are getting ready to play the final one. The identity of the killer is randomized (there are three possibilities), but honestly, I don't think it has that big of an impact. They each have a different special ability, but that is about it. Throughout the rest of the game, the dread cards you'll encounter get randomized (I think you use roughly half the deck each game) and you also have different characters to play with different advantages/disadvantages.

For us, though, I think replayability will initially come in trying out different player counts. It feels like the puzzle you are trying to solve is completely different depending on how many players there are.

With two players (how we've played so far), there are 9 allies on the board mixed in with the Dread cards. Most of the puzzle during the timed phase is figuring out which allies you can get to in time to help with plots or high-dread cards. There is also an interesting question of how many cards to flip up depending on how many allies you've already revealed. If there are six cards still face down and three of them are allies, do you take a chance and reveal a couple more?

With four players, you don't have ally cards. Instead, the puzzle is all about taking your four characters and trying to get multiple characters with the right skills to the right places at the right time of day. It is a different puzzle and one that I expect is much more chaotic and tense. Three players has a couple of allies in the mix, but not as many as two, so it is a bit of a hybrid of the two extremes.

I'm looking forward to running through it again with the different player counts. That's at least a solid 8-12 games (if you win them all....good luck with that). Then we'll probably set it down for a while and pick it up and try it again in a few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Jeff for giving a thorough response! I'll surely keep my eyes open for the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.