Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a ruleset to play Magic without the land cards. Reason being, I have a fairly large collection, but I'm actually very very low on land cards, and money is tight enough that it'll be a while before I can go online and just buy a bunch of land, so I'm looking for a way to maybe just build out some landless decks to mess around with until then. (Clearly I have a number of decks built out with lands and everything, but I'm one of those people who can't stand to take one deck apart for another deck, and I'm actually looking to just build out my whole collection into middle of the road decks and stop collecting for a while, again cause of money)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play that each card can be played as the printed spell or facedown as a land. Every "land" played this way produces any color mana. I have seen this done when people play formats such as "mental magic".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Googling "MTG without land" returns several short articles with rules for this sort of thing, more to get around the idea of not having mana rather than not having the cards.

Anyway, The common idea seems to be that whenever you would be able to play a land, you can play any card as a land that produces one mana of the same color(s) or colorlessness. It can't be used as its regular function, and behaves exactly like the basic land (or dual land, etc) that match the card's mana cost.

I would guess that decks built with those rules might have a bit of an advantage over your regular decks, but maybe you can just take the land out of them for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Id give you land but im sure some local store or player will do it forcheaper than it would cost me to ship them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it has been done before, and the others have suggested the most popular ways to do it.

But please don't. Magic the Gathering is an entirely different game when you significantly change the resource system.

Why? It's complicated, and rather than give my own reasons I decided to find this article in Mark Rosewater's (head designer) article archive.

[url]
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mana-action-201...[/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Id give you land but im sure some local store or player will do it forcheaper than it would cost me to ship them.

My only local store actually doesn't have land for sale XD they only sell new stuff, not loose cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dream_rpg wrote:
While it has been done before, and the others have suggested the most popular ways to do it.

But please don't. Magic the Gathering is an entirely different game when you significantly change the resource system.

Why? It's complicated, and rather than give my own reasons I decided to find this article in Mark Rosewater's (head designer) article archive.

[url]
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mana-action-201...[/url]

I'm not like...looking to do this for good, just as something to do so I don't have a few thousand cards sitting around being useless while I wait for money to flow better, which could take god knows how long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know any other Magic players? I would happily give anybody I know a few hundred basic lands that needed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Do you know any other Magic players? I would happily give anybody I know a few hundred basic lands that needed them.

All my friends who play actually aren't local, we do stuff over skype. And they're much more...focused than I am. They don't really have spare stuff, they buy only singles and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't make sense. If they are real big magic players then they should have lots of extras. They must go to drafts. Every Magic player I know has at least a few hundred basics laying around. What do THEY use to make decks with? I get it that they aren't near you so there are options.

I literally gave about 5000 to a local game store recently because I had so many extras laying around. I still have to have at least 1000 that aren't being used in decks. Basics have no value they LITERALLY come in every pack of Magic. If someone is trying to charge you for them they are scamming you.

Does any place around you actually run Magic tournaments? I would go in and say I am a new player and I need some basic land, can I have some? The three local places I go to have a display with lands separated by color. They are there for drafters to use to build decks with. It is considered polite to return them after the draft, but I forget sometimes and no one cares. I can't imagine a place wouldn't say sure take a handful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
That doesn't make sense. If they are real big magic players then they should have lots of extras. They must go to drafts. Every Magic player I know has at least a few hundred basics laying around. What do THEY use to make decks with? I get it that they aren't near you so there are options.

I literally gave about 5000 to a local game store recently because I had so many extras laying around. I still have to have at least 1000 that aren't being used in decks. Basics have no value they LITERALLY come in every pack of Magic. If someone is trying to charge you for them they are scamming you.

Does any place around you actually run Magic tournaments? I would go in and say I am a new player and I need some basic land, can I have some? The three local places I go to have a display with lands separated by color. They are there for drafters to use to build decks with. It is considered polite to return them after the draft, but I forget sometimes and no one cares. I can't imagine a place wouldn't say sure take a handful.

They actually play mostly commander actually, they aren't drafters, and again, they almost exclusively buy singles online instead of big bunches like I do. And the only place that does tournies in my town won't give you lands unless you're IN the tournie, they hold onto them like gold, I've tried. lol I guess cause it's a small area they actually have a hard time getting the bulk lands for the tournies or something, and they don't wanna sell them all off. IDK, I'll figure it out eventually, it's just kinda annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Thought
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Chrono Trigger represents potential. Results require action.
badge
It is not a certainity, but I have come to believe it possible that some entity wished for us to witness these events. Perhaps it wanted us to see all of these various ages.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say it, but as much as it seems like they should be, lands are often neither free nor even cheap. One of the local stores sells them for 10¢ ea, same as commons. (The Zen blocks' full-art ones are considerably more, and Un-sets even more than that.) All of the stores that I've played in have draft lands available, but they all expect you to return them once you're done. Yes, people forget (sometimes deliberately), but you're supposed to borrow, then give them back them for other players.
At the root of this is Wizards' decision to stop providing lands to stores free, and instead charge for them.

Now, local players may (depending on their play style) often have extras lying around that they might part with. You're likely to have better luck on that side of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm honestly thinking I'll just have to break down and buy some of the $20, 1000 basic land packs on amazon or something, I just dunno when that will be. But back to the issue at hand, are there any other styles of landless play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you have common cards comming out of your ears.
use those as lands. use a black pen and write land on it and the mana symbol
or use the card color to indicate what land it is

we did this in the beginning of 4th edition when they removed the lands from the boosters to have enough basic land at the time

or use sleeves and turn the cards around and add a paper slip stating its land if you don't want to wast commons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Floyd
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools

Check out my Magic Variant decks. Two of them don't use lands and the Rock-Paper-Scissors variant game has several options for the fact that there are no lands in the decks. Make sure you read the optional rules on each of them as there are more options for not having lands in them there.

Super fun casual Magic Variants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcNeo Masato
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phloid wrote:

Check out my Magic Variant decks. Two of them don't use lands and the Rock-Paper-Scissors variant game has several options for the fact that there are no lands in the decks. Make sure you read the optional rules on each of them as there are more options for not having lands in them there.

Super fun casual Magic Variants!

I'm not sure if I have the cards to build those decks, but I'll look into them thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.