Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every now and then, usually by accident, I notice that some of my games need to be re-rated. For some it is based upon additional plays. For others it is simply that my tastes may have changed a bit or another game may have impacted that game's rating. First ratings probably aren't our best assessment yet I believe that most of mine, and likely many others are just that.

I think I will plan to spend some time, at least a few times a year, to try to keep mine more current. As my collection grows, however, this gets harder and harder...

Poll
On average, how often do your re-rate your games?
Nearly each time I play
I look at my ratings weekly and re-rate if needed
I look at my ratings monthly and re-rate if needed
I look at my ratings every 2-3 months and re-rate if needed
I look at my ratings and re-rate them 2-3 times a year if needed
I look at my ratings about once a year and re-rate if needed
Less than once a year
Never but I will now
Never and I don't really care
      113 answers
Poll created by saturnkk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I marked 2-3 months -- I'm usually pretty close to my ratings/comments, but often it's another significant game that will prompt a rerating from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
I marked 2-3 months -- I'm usually pretty close to my ratings/comments, but often it's another significant game that will prompt a rerating from me.

Do you find they they usually go down or up? ...or about 50/50?

I think for me that since most of mine ar initial ratings, I'll have more go down as I play as I learn and play more games and become more critical...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rerate a couple times a year. Most go down, as it they are going up it happens more regularly as I am playing them. Kind of a relative scale though that means things I like now force other things down over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Do you find they they usually go down or up? ...or about 50/50?

Almost always down. Maybe even without the "almost", although I'd have to look at a ratings history to be sure (which doesn't exist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are probably 80% down, 20% up. most of the time the newness wears off and I see the game more clearly, usually dropping between .5 and 1 point. Occasionally a game will grow on me more than the initial 3-5 plays would have suggested. Broom Service is a good example, after 3 or 4 plays I rated it in the 7s, after 10 plays it went up to a solid 8+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
I rethink my ratings for a game every time I play them. I rarely lower them, unless I just get sick of playing it(or losing to it ). Mostly my ratings might rise after finding strategies or rules explanations that make some games more genius after playing a while. Otherwise, I agree with my original assessment and leave them where they're are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In no consistent way. Sometimes after I've played a game I will, sometimes I won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Every sixty-eight days. Usually they stay the same--I know what I like. But they are more likely to go down than up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
In no consistent way. Sometimes after I've played a game I will, sometimes I won't.

Pretty much the same. I might notice another game if I'm ranking something else, and think "thats too high"

And yes, normally its adjusted down. You play a new game, think its great, play a few more times - it might still be fun, but your wish to play it can drop a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
msg tools
Similar to the other replies in that its not a consistent thing. Definitely not about a time window as your poll options are. It's more about if I have reconsidered a game for some reason. That might be playing it or have to do with the kind of game it is or the aspects of it that I value more or less with time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wear
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No set schedule, but it's not very often. And I don't start at the top of the list and go all the way down and reconsider the all ratings. When I do adjust, it's usually just a couple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to rate every game I play, so many of my ratings are based on a single play which is often not enough to really get an accurate rating. I do it to track my initial thoughts on the game, quite often I will revise the ratings after future plays. In many cases the ratings will fall as I realise that the game is not what I thought when I first played it, but recently I have found that I have increased the scores of quite a few games when after multiple plays I am still enjoying them and finding new and interesting aspects of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a specific amount of time that passes between assessments, but it's probably roughly once a month. Usually I'm just browsing my collection for one reason or another and notice a rating that I don't agree with so I change it, but usually not by much. This is always due to additional plays- sometimes I raise the rating, sometimes I lower it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
I re-rate every time I get a new game... this is mostly because I've given myself a hard cap of 10 games. I can easily see myself getting carried away and building a wall of games -- games I would never play.

I barely have time/people/opportunity to play with the 10 games I have.

What am I going to do with a wall of hundreds of games?

That being said, I have over 10 expansions of Talisman and have probably dumped close to $400 into Eldritch Horror and official & unofficial accessories.

I have one game rated '1', another rated '2', another rated '3', etc.

When I get a new game, I re-assess which games actually see play. I then re-rate them and dump the lowest rated game.

(If you look at my collection, you'll find 10 games, rated 1-10.)

(I have issues.) ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I marked every 2-3 months.

Every time I get a new game, I rate it after 3 sessions or so. Then I try to compare it to similar games (if possible) and adjust relative ratings if appropriate. They usually go up. Apparently my initial ratings are on the modest side of the spectrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
I re-rate every time I get a new game... this is mostly because I've given myself a hard cap of 10 games. I can easily see myself getting carried away and building a wall of games -- games I would never play.

I barely have time/people/opportunity to play with the 10 games I have.

What am I going to do with a wall of hundreds of games?

That being said, I have over 10 expansions of Talisman and have probably dumped close to $400 into Eldritch Horror and official & unofficial accessories.

I have one game rated '1', another rated '2', another rated '3', etc.

When I get a new game, I re-assess which games actually see play. I then re-rate them and dump the lowest rated game.

(If you look at my collection, you'll find 10 games, rated 1-10.)

(I have issues.) ninja

Just curious why don't you use the top ten list for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice mine tend to go down mostly as I play more games and see how things could have been done. I will say that it is hard to rate some games, especially lighter stuff. Like BANG! The Dice Game, I have a blast playing with new players that are non-gamers. I always have a great time, usually fun is had by all, but I do not consider it a great game in and of itself. Those games I always have a tough time rating because the experience is better than the actual game. Maybe I am over-thinking this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.