Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alice Baker
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you create rules for your gaming group?

Why or why not?

Seems like a good idea to me.

I have two groups. One table top and one RPG. Both have kids. I feel like laying down some ground rules and expectations are a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no written rules, but we all seem to grok three important things:

1. Be polite.

2. Try to pick games so that everyone can be included.

3. Treat the games nicely.

I'm fortunate to play with people where we've never had to say all of these things out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beat
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(he still wins)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule #1 Do not talk about game night
Rule #2 Do not talk about game night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one. Don't talk about politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't, but we should.

Personally, I would say:

1) No TV. I'm tired of saying, "hey, it's your turn....hey....hey..." (sometimes followed by a recap of what just happened on the board). You want to watch that show or football game? NO problem...either reschedule the game or don't invite me...either works.

2) Leave your non-gaming family at home. It's not OK to bring your wife and daughter to a 4-6 hour game session. Especially when after two hours your wife's asking "are you done yet?" and "when are we leaving?" Your 3-5 year old daughter is cute, and it's nice to see her, but NOT on game night when she's trying to grab components off the table, and especially, hand painted miniatures. Regardless what you say, it's not "quality family time."

Yes, I know, I need to just find a group that works better for my gaming interests.

As posted above, you'd think such rules need not be stated, but rather implied and understood. At least that's the kind of group I'd like to join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Baker
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right?

Sometime I feel like people need to be reminded of simple thinks like, be on time.

If these unspoken rules your group has were spoken out loud, how did you think people would respond? Perhaps "well duh" given your group....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Baker
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WORD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Baker
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda feel like group generated rules would also help everyone figure out if they are in the right group.

My big one is Your engagement is required not just your presence.
I am tried of that same issue but with cell phones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Baker
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you did there!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just follow "The Will Wheaton" rule. Pretty much covers all potential problems. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

1. Don't trade with Jeff.

2. Don't take advice from Chris, it's a trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shipard
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
Our gaming group doesn't have a laid out policy of rules but we do tend to enforce the basic socially standards. Be polite, don't flip the table, be respectful of other peoples property etc.

Although I've often considered making a set of rules simply so that new members (and existing ones) know exactly where they stand. It's not been a large issue previously, but I could see the need for one, especially as our group grows and the organisers have less direct/frequent contact with our members. I'll give this some thought over the weekend and post my results later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
We don't have this rule...mostly because my gamers are fairly apolitical...but it's really causing problems right now.

Pete (has a few people avoiding each other because of that right now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Baker
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me I keeping thinking that I want to do it "for the kids"... but the more I think about it I think it is important for the adults as well so we're not making assumptions.

I have friends who have a more fluent idea of time than I do and I hate having people waiting around until those individuals arrive.

Or the same people are always doing the set up because they are the people on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
We don't have this rule...mostly because my gamers are fairly apolitical...but it's really causing problems right now.

Pete (has a few people avoiding each other because of that right now)

I have always had friends that run the gambit across all political believes, but when they are at my house they are all the same [gamers]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No cell phones except to look up rules, if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they're written, perhaps they're on the group's page, facebook page, or Meetup group homepage. Most of them have been unwritten with some "common sense" thrown in...

--don't ruin people's games
--the cat is also the host of the house
--game owner reserves the right to call a game early if his copy of the game is in use
--don't take other people's games

--we don't make people play games they don't want to (whose tradeoff is we get less variety and certain games virtually blacklisted)
--if someone really did get roped into playing a game they didn't want to play by your insistence, you can't complain about cell phones and other distractions
--if there's a lot of downtime between turns (more than 7 minutes, you can't really expect a no cellphones nor distractions policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always let the wookie win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be glad you have a group to begin with... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only rule we have is no coupling at the table. Coupling is couples playing as couples. We tend to have the rest of the table couple against them, they learn fast. It is actually more of a guideline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert V Tobal
Spain
Villaviciosa de Odon
Madrid
flag msg tools
Basics:

1. Play to win, if you can't win, play to improve your final standing. King making and making teams in games that are meant to be played individually is not ok

2.if you get caught cheating, you will receive a single warning, if you're caught again, you will not be invited back

3.Win with grace, lose with dignity. Do not go overboard celebrating, do not whine or take losing personally

4. Handle the components with care. Do not bend or scratch the cards, even if they are sleeved. Avoid throwing dices on the board

5. No food and specially no drinks at the gaming table. I don't care how careful you are,

6. Cellphones or any other distraction is only ok for games with very long downtime between turns

7. Take backs are only ok if you're learning the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
The only rule we have is no coupling at the table. Coupling is couples playing as couples. We tend to have the rest of the table couple against them, they learn fast. It is actually more of a guideline.

Must be those lovey/dovey Canadian couples. Down here, couples are more likely to attack each other first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules of my games group are mainly there because the venue is a church. I have gotten a tiny bit of flak for one of the rules ("no evil themed games"), but it's mainly not a problem.

1. Venue is alcohol & tobacco free.
2. Please no offensive language.
3. No D&D or other "evil" themed games. If you're not sure, just ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.