Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: This_is_News??? [+] [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After much soul searching and rules reading, plus frustration that no TOS 50th Anniversary Expansion for STFC seems to be in the making, I decided to promote myself to Fleet Admiral by buying Star Trek Ascendancy. STFC is a great game, but being a Firefly player as well, I know that GF9 will expand the game continually.

So I had a pal attending GenCon get me a first edition STA recently, and have played three games of it so far. It is most similar to STFC in the Exploration module, and scratches a 4E itch, but without individual ships and characters. So far we all love the new game. The rules are edited much better, although I put a Table of Contents for it in its board Files section, as I did here with STFC. The components are far superior in quality as well.

The core game gives you the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans in a 3 Player only format, but two expansions are already due in October; Cardassians and Ferengi---each may add one player. Many more are planned such as Andorians, with the Borg and Dominion as some kind of NPC factors as well.

I have been very active here on the STFC board and in the Files area below. Now I am over there. My first thread a few months ago was "Will Ascendancy Replace STFC?" Many were loyal to the older game, and I would buy any new expansion for it. I don't do Face Book, so don't have access to the fan made factions. So my answer for now is...YES! At least for a while, it will be hitting my table where the older game will not. Luckily, I have room for both in my heart and in my apartment.

"These are the voyages..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was going to reply -
its usually the admirals who are traitors -

but then thought of -
remember every time you move one fleet in Ascendency thats us STFC who are doing all the real work -

but then thought -
Hey would that be possible i.e use Ascendency as the campaign game for STFC games?

I don't have Ascendency, but have been following it here. So choice of ships in STFC based on some Ascendency level, map tiles reflect Ascendency planet etc. Result of STFC feed back into Ascendency. Probably a lot of effort, but it would be epic!

Possible?
Any thoughts appreciated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farydia Pseudo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Ascendancy is out for me (although I was thrilled at first!) because it's seemingly not intended as a 2-player game. yuk
So - no promotion to Admiral for me, I'll just follow in Picard's footsteps and stay a Captain forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just mention that oddly enough, although GF9 and GenCon demoers say it wasn't designed for two, everyone who has tried it with two so far reports that its fun. Including me. Go figure!

Right now we're discussing whether its worth changing the rules or leaving one or two out to do so...since the Two Player is officially a "Game Variant." Hah.

(Kirk actually became an Admiral in the films, and then went back down to Captain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But why does STFC lose its quality just because it is not expanding? How is it diminished?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a game, STFC is one ass-stomping game!

STA is, imo, a different game to STFC. There's room for both in the Star Trek universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't lose its quality at all. I've just been playing it many times for years, and would enjoy it being backed up with new expansions by its publisher, which it deserves and is not getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
It doesn't lose its quality at all. I've just been playing it many times for years, and would enjoy it being backed up with new expansions by its publisher, which it deserves and is not getting.

Well said. When I initially read "At least for a while, it will be hitting my table where the older game will not." my mind focused on the "older game will not" more than "at least for a while".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone looking through this board and the Files section, especially reading my review, will discover that I was one of the oldest and most vocal supporters of STFC! Its the publisher's handling of the game that I'm not so crazy about. If it was an active title, I might not have gone for Ascendancy. But given the lack of support, when I heard that GF9 was doing Star Trek I said "Uh oh! I may have to get on board."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.