Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
With the goals being the same every game I'm a little concerned this one could get stale after a few plays. Still going to buy it since I enjoy most of his games but still wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Concnered about replay
How about the goal of "scoring the most points" being the same in most of Feld's other games? He changed things up for once, and I can only be happy. "Same goals every game" is not the reason to worry by itself. It's like to say that since car racing games have the same goal of crossing the finish line every game, their replayability is terrible. What really matters is how you achieve these goals - variable setup, interaction with other players, randomness, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Concnered about replay
Glad8r wrote:
How about the goal of "scoring the most points" being the same in most of Feld's other games? He changed things up for once, and I can only be happy. "Same goals every game" is not the reason to worry by itself. It's like to say that since car racing games have the same goal of crossing the finish line every game, their replayability is terrible. What really matters is how you achieve these goals - variable setup, interaction with other players, randomness, etc.

Not really, castles has tons of replay with all the tiles and how they show up and the cards in Bruges keeps it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Glad8r wrote:

Not really, castles has tons of replay with all the tiles and how they show up and the cards in Bruges keeps it fresh.

That's basically my point. It doesn't matter that all you do is try to get the most points in these games, as long as they provide a ton of variability within. The jury is still out on Delphi, but it seems to have many signs of high replayability - modular map, different starting abilities for players, various upgrades, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
With the goals being the same every game I'm a little concerned this one could get stale after a few plays. Still going to buy it since I enjoy most of his games but still wonder.

I am not saying you will not feel this way. But let me give you some points:

- The dice - They are different every turn. The aim may stay the same, but the way to achieve them is different and challenging all the time. Delphi has a brilliant dice mechanism.

- Every player has a special characteristic because of the special effect from the ship tile.

- The playing area is different in every play. You need to "read the green". Where are the best poits to go to? How do I best get there? To me this is a bit like in Istanbul: You need to figure out how to play the current playing area.

There are some ways to specialize. The six gods offer help that can used in many ways. The game has so many options that it will be thrilling for many plays.

My recommendation: Just give it a shot! You said you will buy it anyway - not the worst game to get! I already love it. Played the prototype a few times. Cannot wait for it to arrive on my shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Gasparetti
Italy
Trecastelli
An
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Same goals every game" is not the reason to worry by itself. It's like to say that since car racing games have the same goal of crossing the finish line every game, their replayability is terrible.

Epic Win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's too early to tell but I had an idea:

Since there are 12 goals, in a two player game could you remove two give each player 5 and have them keep them secret? Not sure if that would mess up the game but that makes it way more interesting for us when we don't know who's close to winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Since there are 12 goals, in a two player game could you remove two give each player 5 and have them keep them secret? Not sure if that would mess up the game but that makes it way more interesting for us when we don't know who's close to winning.
At least you would remove all the interaction from the game ...
And just for information: In earlier stages of the game we kept the tasks secret. The problem then was, that on the one hand it was very annoying for the players to keep in mind which tasks they have to solve. On the other hand there was no reason to watch the opponents' play, as you have no idea what their plans could be.

In fact it is much more interesting to KNOW which player has left how many tasks - this is the result of maybe 100 tests ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

And just for information: In earlier stages of the game we kept the tasks secret. The problem then was, that on the one hand it was very annoying for the players to keep in mind which tasks they have to solve. On the other hand there was no reason to watch the opponents' play, as you have no idea what their plans could be.

In fact it is much more interesting to KNOW which player has left how many tasks - this is the result of maybe 100 tests ...

Interesting.. I was thinking of splitting the task between both players then you wouldn't know what exactly that person was going for. Would it break the game if each person wasn't going for the exact same goals as the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
barandur wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Interesting.. I was thinking of splitting the task between both players then you wouldn't know what exactly that person was going for. Would it break the game if each person wasn't going for the exact same goals as the other?
It would be a different game then: The reason to give the players the same tasks lead to many little races in the game: If I take the blue Offering which is near the blue temple, I'm sending the other player the longer way.
If all players have different tasks, nobody get in each others way - we like it better the interactive way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.