BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ever been deliberately sabotaged because you are a strong player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Insightful [+] dear_abby [+] [View All]
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had an interesting experience occur the other day while I was gaming with my game group and was curious to see if this occurs within other groups.

My game group has been formed for a little over a year now. Of the group, I am probably the most experienced player (one other plays a fair amount too) while the others don't have a lot of experience. We meet at my house, game in my game room and almost always play games I own. The group seems to get along well and we have similar tastes in games. I do win my fair share of games but everybody seems competitive in the games we play and most importantly, seems to have fun.

Last week it was one of my friend's picks and she chose Lords of Waterdeep and we played it three player. I had just been given a mandatory quest by Player A when the player beside me asked if we were allowed to be given more than one mandatory quest...

Well, I knew where that was going and sure enough, I got my second mandatory quest, this time from Player B. It's pretty tough to dig out of that but whatever, it's life. It comes around to Player B again and he gives me my third mandatory quest. Three mandatory quests (and the only three played during the game), all given to me and all within the same game round.

Needless to say, I was a little irritated. I protested and pointed out that not only was my game effectively over, but that I wasn't the leader as I pointed to Player A and her 20+ point lead.

I was told by both players that I was too good at the game and that in every game, I am the primary threat so this was warranted. I've heard this referenced in other games (usually worker placement games) but still, it kind of sapped the fun out of the game for me. I dealt with it, tried not to be a jerk about it and did finish 4 points behind Player A so I did okay.

Does this happen to others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That time I got utterly bashed to death by the 3 guys I taught Dominant Species to, I was so proud .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to me a lot, too. People assume that because you own the game you are a wizard at it. I have a lot of last-place finishes, but I enjoy playing games so I don't really mind. There's only a couple games that I really get into and get competitive: Glory to Rome comes to mind immediately But most times, I'm happy just to play and try my best, no matter what punishment the group decides I'm worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Sure does happen. Welcome to full-contact boardgaming.

Shake it off, it is a compliment. Besides, seasoned players learn how to bend situations like this to their advantage. This was an opportunity for you to start working the part of the game that's not on the table, sowing doubt into your opponents' minds about their decisions to do what they did. If you can get them second-guessing, you can lay the groundwork for the next time you play.

That's a whole different set of gaming skills, but they're more likely to serve you later in life.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Let's just say, I've spent more time in the Brig than any other human.

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has happened to me, but, I tend to Intrigue card hunt. We have the expansions, so, more opportunity to get the card that reveals your lord, and casts off ALL Mandatory Quests, blocks any additional mandatories, and all attacks.

So, I just show my lord and roll on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to your story they played it exactly as they should have. They did that to you and then you still only lost by 4 points. If they wouldn't have done that you would have won. Seems like they were completely justified in their actions.

That all said I have had that type of thing happen before. I would take it as a challenge and try to win despite that. If you find over a few game nights you are constantly targeted and still keep losing than you have a right to speak up, but until it becomes a pattern you should probably let it go.

There was a running joke at my place for awhile. When in doubt, attack Jerry. This led to a number of games where I lost before I could even set up a defense, I took it on the chin and over time people stopped doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you only finished 4 points behind the leader it sounds like it was the right play on their part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I get targeted often. Nirmally, I fine with it, it keeps me on my toes and I wouldn't expect any less from any true board gamer.

There is one guy though that does irritate me. He targets me even when I am way behind AND does it to his own detriment. There can be moves on the board that will gain him positions in the game, but if the is one that will screw me, he'll take that one even if it loses him positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I finished two minutes behind Syvanis. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read it right, you finished in second place by 4 points? Seems like Player B had to choose if you were going to win or if Player A was going to win. Can't fault him/her for making that choice...and your game must not have been over if you only lost by 4 points (unless I'm missing something. )

kohlhatter wrote:

I had an interesting experience occur the other day while I was gaming with my game group and was curious to see if this occurs within other groups.

My game group has been formed for a little over a year now. Of the group, I am probably the most experienced player (one other plays a fair amount too) while the others don't have a lot of experience. We meet at my house, game in my game room and almost always play games I own. The group seems to get along well and we have similar tastes in games. I do win my fair share of games but everybody seems competitive in the games we play and most importantly, seems to have fun.

Last week it was one of my friend's picks and she chose Lords of Waterdeep and we played it three player. I had just been given a mandatory quest by Player A when the player beside me asked if we were allowed to be given more than one mandatory quest...

Well, I knew where that was going and sure enough, I got my second mandatory quest, this time from Player B. It's pretty tough to dig out of that but whatever, it's life. It comes around to Player B again and he gives me my third mandatory quest. Three mandatory quests (and the only three played during the game), all given to me and all within the same game round.

Needless to say, I was a little irritated. I protested and pointed out that not only was my game effectively over, but that I wasn't the leader as I pointed to Player A and her 20+ point lead.

I was told by both players that I was too good at the game and that in every game, I am the primary threat so this was warranted. I've heard this referenced in other games (usually worker placement games) but still, it kind of sapped the fun out of the game for me. I dealt with it, tried not to be a jerk about it and did finish 4 points behind Player A so I did okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Frequently, I encourage everyone to go after the leader, more often then not it's me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ziegler
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:

This type of thing consistently happening is part of the reason why I now only play Lords of Waterdeep as a two player game. I have found that it almost always turns into a ganging up session otherwise. In fact, if I remember correctly, that's even what happened when Wil Wheaton played it on Tabletop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:
game), all given to me and all within the same game round.

Needless to say, I was a little irritated. I protested and pointed out that not only was my game effectively over...

...I dealt with it, tried not to be a jerk about it and did finish 4 points behind Player A so I did okay.

So, your game wasn't effectively over.

I play LoW with a guy who wins 9 out of 10 times he plays. The guy has played hundreds of times and knows all of the Lords inside and out. You bet your behind me and others throw as many Mandatory Quests at him as we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the college game club, the rule was "Team up on Jeremy, or he wins." Since I taught most of the games, I was assumed to be a threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Given a choice of who to target, it's usually a good choice (in the absence of other indicators) to target the strongesy players. In "engine building" ganes in oarticular, where it often isn't clear who is actually winning until late in the game.

Best defense against it is to track plays/wins. If the three of you play LoW 10 times, and you win only 1 or 2 games, they may realize you're not completely dominant and go after each other more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ever been deliberately sabotaged because you are a strong player?

No.

My playing style does not lead to strong play. In other words, I play impulsively and offer little or no threat to the other contestants.

But I do have fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
Looks like I finished two minutes behind Syvanis. :so blue:

And you still got a tip for saying what I said. Well played. Apparently, I am the dominant forum poster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught two friends Magic the Gathering. Being the experienced player, the moment I played a strong card, no matter how early in the game, they ganged up on me and beat me down and I lost game after game. I got real tired of the constant losing and so came up with a house rule to change the dynamic, a real simple one. I called it the "target rule". Whoever won the game was the target of the other two. They could only attack or play an offensive card against the previous game's winner. After that player went down then they could attack each other. It worked like a charm and the victories were more evenly spread out. As a matter of fact there were times when the player who was the target still managed to win which was a real feather-in-the-cap for that player. Other than that I learn as best I can from any defeats often at the hands of more experienced (with a particular game) players to up my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yep, that's why my motto is "Payback is a b.....female dog and I'm patient!" arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
By other players?

No.

I'm perfectly capable of completely sabotaging myself with my own play, thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suck it up Buttercup!

J/k. In my group we're all pretty evenly matched, so we mostly just all go after whoever is leading at the moment. We've all taken turns in that spot.

If you're a consistently stronger player than your gaming partners, maybe try some 1 vs many games. That way, they're supposed to gang up on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all the time. If you play a game that has those effects then its all part of gameplay. If it is intended to slow down the person most likely to win, then take I would it as a compliment from the other players and an additional challenge in gameplay.

What really frustrates me is King-making - the same kind of gameplay but at the end of the game, aimed at the second or third placed person, by a player well out of the race. It carries the intention of "I can't win so I want Bob to win". I think that ruins peoples gameplay experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I get targeted often.

Many years ago, a buddy of mine was having a pretty rough time in some board game. Now this guy, who is usually the nicest guy you'll ever meet, was grumpy for some reason or another, and for whatever reason, snapped at me, saying, "BRO, why you targeting me?!"

Surprised, I tell him this is the first time I had targeted him. In fact, the table quickly realized, nobody had targeted him all game; we were way behind everyone else, and basically fighting for "not last place." The table had quite a laugh.

It's a good thing that he is a such a nice guy because "Bro, why you targeting me" is repeated all too often, for a cheap laugh, to this day. Just seeing it online, makes me chuckle..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PA
Canada
Rouyn-noranda
Qc
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are being referenced as "The Threat". The person to beat, or the person who if not indered will win.

In my group we do gang up on thoses, there is one for boardgaming and one for magic the gathering

In coop game with traitors (battlestar gallactica/werewolf/whatever) thoses 2 persons must be taken out first...whatever happens.

If you can't support it, do the rabbit move, stay low profile till the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.