Subject: Buying Games... to use as other games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Shipard
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'm wondering if anyone has bought a game with the intent of using it's components for another game?

In my case I'm looking at re-theming Friday... So I bought the game because I like the gameplay but with the express intent of using the cards as a reference to get an accurate re-theme.

Also I'm looking at the cards etc in Citadels simply as components and wondering what kind of solo game I could make with them as my group isn't usually interested in the game itself and I've been on a solo binge recently.

What's everyone else's experiences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy many copies of Risk at $1.99 apiece at Goodwill. With each copy I get a bunch of pieces in six colors, which is perfect for use in lots of other games.

Pete (prefers sets with generic pieces over the ones with little soldiers because they are more flexible)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk and Numble (to use with the original Outpost.)

Advance to Boardwalk (to get more colors for Can't Stop)

Wide World (to use the metal spaceships for Merchant of Venus)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipard wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has bought a game with the intent of using it's components for another game?

You definitely need to have some fun browsing this geeklist:

Thrift store games you buy just for the components

This list is centered on those games that may not be so good for themselves but which are great sources to harvest bits that can be useful or just plain cool to use in other games or for PnP.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased Rummicube and Rage to make my own copy of Raj

Somebody purchased a mall bg (Mall Of America, IIRC?) to use its components to create a custom mall scenario for Last Night On Earth (or was it Zombicide?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I've purchased Rummicube and Rage to make my own copy of Raj

Somebody purchased a mall bg (Mall Of America, IIRC?) to use its components to create a custom mall scenario for Last Night On Earth (or was it Zombicide?)

There are several threads in the Variants forum of Electronic Mall Madness that are about rules for combining that game with LNoE, "Zombies!!!", and others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Racko for 99 cents at Goodwill to use for Karuba. The plastic tray is the perfect size to hold the tiles in numeric order and the cards are used by the bingo caller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i used the backs of dominoes and 8 dice to make my own Pickomino game. although they weren't purchased for that purpose. they were already there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased 4 copies of star trek 5 year mission on clearance for $22 and 6 copies of rolling america for $18 for all the dice. I couldn't pass up the deals, I love it when target remodels one of there store's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 nimmt! + Risk tokens = No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
I bought 2 copies of "Star Wars Duels" (not "Epic Duels). I've been playing the actual War'esque card game with my son, but as it is basically just a set of cards with values, suits and affiliations there's alot of other games that one could play or invent with the the decks of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this all the time especially for homebrews, but only when I can get just the parts vs. the entire game.

My sci-fi dudes on a map concept is using minis from Buck Rogers and Clone Wars Risk.

My dungeon crawler is using doors from Mage Knight Dungeons, walls from HeroClix, chests from Dark World, tokens from Descent (for now), and minis from Mage Knight, DDM and some of the D&D adventure games that were parted out.

My skirmish game is using HeroScape hexes with cake topper trees and model train scenery bits.

Back when I was a hobbyist wannabe video game developer, I used to buy video games that I had no interest in playing just to get their texture, sound and music files for use in my own projects. I guess that's the "digital" equivalent of repurposing board game parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures, with or without their own game system, are commonly bought for use in other games, many of which do not have their own miniatures line. Indeed, many miniature boardgames on KS are criticized as "miniatures with a free boardgame". See you in October!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 nimmt! + Risk tokens = No Thanks!

Thanks for this one. I read this two days ago and we played it twice that night. Pretty fun, although everyone was mad at me when I kept letting them bid coins for card 35 when they all knew I was taking it, hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 Nimmt=(The Game-Ugly Art)

Looney Pyramids+Printed Boards/cards=Onitama,Battle Sheep,Crab Stack,Savrano,Gyges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.