Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Broke this out today for the very first time.

Played the first scenario. Got all 5 factions set up, as well as the minors. Thenrealized I wasn't sure if while playing this solitaire, and only worrying about reaching a certain VP score, if I only need to set up ONE of the Major Powers and simply take on the Minors, OR was I correct in assuming I should set up all Major Powers and have them all take the actions spelled out for the non-player factions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil woolway
United Kingdom
Watchet
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tend to play King of Kings (the hex based version) rather than Imoerator (the area map version) but as they are intrinsically both the same game, I will offer my thoughts.

I tend to set up all the major and minor countries. I play the major of my choice and roll on the event table for each other major too. I also developed house rules which said, in effect, that any nation moving within, say, 2 hexes of another nation's cities would be seen as an act of provocation, and would trigger a defensive response.

I also had a lot of fun creating simple personalities for each of the non-player major/minor nation's leaders, such as Warlike, Bold or Timid. Warlike would attempt to take unoccupied cities within 5 hexes at the risk of leaving its capital exposed. Bold would exploit any areas nearby but would always retire if its capital was threatened. Timid would not fight beyond two hexes of its capital. I cannot remember the exact detail, as there was much more to it. I am sure you could have fun adapting this type of thinking to Imperator with a little ingenuity. The character of each leader would be determined only when the situation arose thus creating an element of 'fog of war'. If you happen to own Divine Right, there is a good set of personality cards which could be used as a draw-pack for randomly determining your leaders personalities.

Do you resolve battles at the tactical level using the reccomended game Ancients? This adds a lot to the game, although I ignore the instruction to not play Ancients with less than six units a side and just double the units involved, i.e. one chariot unit in King of Kings/Imperator equals two chariot units in Ancients. This makes for a more 'realistic' battle. You must remember to halve the surviving units of the battle before resuming King of Kings/Imerator. Also you may wish to fight out the tactical battles using the Prestags system which uses broadly similar units to Ancients but has more sophisticated rules.

Happy empire building,
Regards
Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Phil, thank you for the response

I am pretty well initiated at making mulit-player games solitaire. Having done that quit a bit this year with both Fire in the Lake and Triumph & Tragedy.

Was sort of hoping this would provide a bit lighter and quicker an experience when played Solo.

I do own ANcients 1 & 2. Well not for much longer as it's already been bid on in an auction I'm running. But I really didn't expect to become so enamoured with Imperator that I would take it to that depth. If I wnt to fight big Ancients battles Lost Battles is my go-to.

I just really wasn;t sure how this was intended to be played in the rules.. If say you were playig with only three players. Do you still set up the map with ALL 5 majors and have the non-player majors just sit there as road blocks, do they each roll on the events table in summer, giving the game a better chance at ending faster?

And don't even tease me about Divine Right been sitting atop of my wishlist for ages. That personality deck makes me want it all the more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil woolway
United Kingdom
Watchet
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Aaron,

I would be interested to know what techniques you use to give non-player major/minors a 'mind of their own' as my system is homegrown and fairly simpistic.

Without wishing to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, are you aware that Ancients is available as both print-n-play and on both vassal and cyberboard? Also that Divine Right is available online as a PYR25 game and this would show you the full personality deck. I do have Lost Battles but Phil Sabin seems to focus on Greek/Roman era onwards whereas I like to fight Bronze Age era.

In answer to your question, I always set up all the majors and roll for each on the event table whether PC or NPC, and set up all minors but not roll events for them. minors are in effect just cannon fodder for the majors. I see what you mean about it ending the game sooner but I never include the period end rules and just play til i have a clear winner, i.e.a true King of Kings.

Cheers Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.