- Devious DevicesUnited States
Today we hit 400 backers in our Kickstarter campaign for Sharknado™: The Board Game! That means our backers have opened up the opportunity to vote for the next Character to be included with every copy of the base game. Below, we cover a little bit about each character’s background, abilities and strategies.
If you are interested in voting yourself, any backer of Sharknado™: The Board Game can visit our update on the new characters and leave a comment with their favorite choice. We're excited to have the community involved in shaping the game, and this is only the start.
On to the characters!
Calvin Stern spent most of his life trying to fit in and repressing bouts of homicidal rage. One day he looked out the narrow window of his basement apartment to see sharks raining from the sky. After confirming they were not hallucinations, he realized what he had to do. He grabbed his trusty cricket bat, headed outside, and started to laugh. He hasn't stopped since…
Calvin loves to get up-close and personal with sharks. No one rolls Melee damage like Calvin. His hands are at home when they're swinging something deadly like the katana or a chainsaw.
Like several of our characters, Calvin was inspired by some of our favorite characters or tropes from pop culture. With his cricket bat, name badge and red tie, horror fans won't have a hard time pinning this one down.
- Calvin gets 8 Action tokens and 1 Reroll token each player phase.
- His signature ability lets him roll the two Encounter dice at the start of each Fight. Calvin can reroll any red (Melee) dice that match those numbers for the rest of the Fight.
- Calvin's Red Tie is a locked accessory that cannot be replaced. It lets him remove up to one green (Defense) die from his dice pool each turn of the fight to either add another Melee die, or reroll ANY number of his Melee dice.
- You'll hit with more Melee dice more often with Calvin, so concentrate on Melee weapons.
- Don't be afraid to drop a Defense die to reroll a bad field of Melee dice. Most fights don't go into a third round.
- Try to pair up with someone who is stacked with Protection and Defense dice to make the most of your Red Tie's ability.
- While Calvin can still use Ranged weapons effectively, all of his special abilities are focused on Melee damage, so that Sawed-off Shotgun might be more useful in someone else's hands.
- Be careful not to drop too many Defense dice. You'll need one successful Defense roll for every one Bite a shark has, and you never know when you'll lose your head!
She blew into town as if on a breeze, the same morning the Sharknado made landfall. "What's your name? Where are you from?" the others asked. "Salem," was all she said. "Why should we trust you?" they demanded. She simply walked away--toward the storm. Only later did the others find the trail of dead sharks she left in her wake.
Salem is very mysterious and great at fighting alone. A true loner, she was developed with solo-play in mind, and excels at blazing her own path. While she loses her abilities when fighting in a group, you can always use an extra hand in a fight!
- Salem is all about being on her own. Her signature ability gives her an extra Ranged (yellow), Melee and Defense die when fighting alone. As if that weren't enough, she gets +1 to all of her Defense dice rolls if no one else is in the fight!
- Splitting up can be extremely dangerous in most games, especially in early rounds. Salem however is well-equipped to try fighting a shark or two on her own, right from the get-go.
- Look for equipment with "loner" abilities when Searching and Siphoning. These cards grant the user with extra abilities when fighting alone that can significantly boost Salem's built in advantages.
- When playing with a team, Salem can split off from the rest of the group to attempt to cross the City and get to more out of the way objects and take care of them while the rest of the team concentrates on solving larger, harder problems.
- If you are fighting in a group and a shark bites, you get to choose who takes it as a group. Not so with Salem. If she is alone, there is no one else to step in front of that shark tooth salad.
- It won't take long before you find out how powerful Salem can be in a solo fight, but don't let that go to your head. Players who get overzealous quickly tend to bite off more than they can chew and end up another dead character for the stack.
- [+] Dice rolls