Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Keyflower: Keymelequin» Forums » General

Subject: Please consider color blind players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
and don't use red/green or brown/orange.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
and don't use red/green or brown/orange.


While I agree with the general sentiment, you're trying to close the barn door long after the horse has left where Keyflower is concerned. Amazing game, but I'm probably going to have to mark all the green meeples and icons on tiles in my copy at some point for my color-blind friend.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No they can tweak the colors to be more distinguishable
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
No they can tweak the colors to be more distinguishable


Do you mean flip the pairings? Instead of pairing red with green, pair blue/yellow with green?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
No they can tweak the colors to be more distinguishable


Do you mean flip the pairings? Instead of pairing red with green, pair blue/yellow with green?


that would help too
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismattic wrote:
While I agree with the general sentiment, you're trying to close the barn door long after the horse has left where Keyflower is concerned. Amazing game, but I'm probably going to have to mark all the green meeples and icons on tiles in my copy at some point for my color-blind friend.
Indeed. I suspect the two circles in the Venn diagram for colour blind players and Keyflower players do not overlap by very much and the damage has already been done. The green/red keyple was inspired by the Portuguese crowd so the colours were pretty much fixed. So apologies to those affected.

By way of amends I can advise that the 2016 big R&D Game Key to the City – London has no green keyples so if the colour was an issue for you with Keyflower then Key to the City – London is your solution. Similarly the 2017 Key-series release Keyper has only one red and one green keyple and they are both waving. So hopefully no problems there either.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Breese wrote:
Prismattic wrote:
While I agree with the general sentiment, you're trying to close the barn door long after the horse has left where Keyflower is concerned. Amazing game, but I'm probably going to have to mark all the green meeples and icons on tiles in my copy at some point for my color-blind friend.
Indeed. I suspect the two circles in the Venn diagram for colour blind players and Keyflower players do not overlap by very much and the damage has already been done. The green/red keyple was inspired by the Portuguese crowd so the colours were pretty much fixed. So apologies to those affected.

By way of amends I can advise that the 2016 big R&D Game Key to the City – London has no green keyples so if the colour was an issue for you with Keyflower then Key to the City – London is your solution. Similarly the 2017 Key-series release Keyper has only one red and one green keyple and they are both waving. So hopefully no problems there either.


Regards Richard I would still buy them, love the series. Thanks for the consideration.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a free tool called ColorOracle.org to compare palettes. There are lots of subtle variations in Colour Blindness, but it covers the 3 major types:



It seems they're quite easy to tell apart at least; but this is using the stock image and lighting conditions may greatly affect this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm guessing the number of colorblind players of a game in which you draw random colored meeples from a bag is pretty low. But dotting or skinning the meeples to make them easier to tell apart is well within one's ability if motivated enough I suppose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually about 8% of the male population is colorblind so odds are about 8% or 0.5%.

But colorblindness does affect me buying games. However, I do agree that the ship has sailed for this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.