Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole story and the way it is developing is interesting to me.

At this point it is pretty obvious that Ryan Lochte's initial story was not entirely true, but it appears that someone in a uniform pointed a gun at them and money exchanged hands, why that money changed hands can be interpreted a couple different ways.

The response of Brazil is curious to me, they pulled people off of planes and are threatening legal consequences for what amounts to a petty theft by a Brazilian or minor vandalism by the Americans. Mobs of people are screaming at them at the police station for a story that got stretched a little bit.

Brazil's response makes them look worse. Facts are an officer or guard of some sort pointed a weapon at foreign athletes and apparently took money from them, making a small international crisis out of the whole thing is out of control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb

It appears the swimmers lied about everything.

Good propaganda for Brazil. They can turn the attention of their people and the world press to the one robbery that never took place, with Americans as the bad guys no less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Stretched a bit? Lochte claimed people claiming to be police pulled them over and put a gun to their heads and robbed them.

Instead, they stopped at a gas station. The owner of the gas station stated the men were obviously drunk, broke a soap dispenser in the bathroom, damaged a door, tore down a sign and urinated around the premises.

The police chief says could not rule out that there was an extortion attempt by the guards, whom he described as “public agents,” a term that can be used for police officers or other members of the public security forces. Another police official clarified that the guards were off-duty prison guards working a second job at the gas station.

So it seems like you are bending over backwards to excuse basically a fabrication, not a story that was "stretched a bit".

Hey, well, it's not like anything is going to happen to them even professionally.

The Olympic Commission:

“No apologies from him or from the other athletes are needed,” said Mario Andrada, a spokesman for the Rio Olympics organizing committee, referring to Mr. Lochte. “We need to understand that these kids were trying to have fun. They came here; they represented their country to the best of their abilities.”

Kids just lie and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
In the other shots the guard clearly points a weapon at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But still, demanding passports, pulling people off planes and the people surrounding vehicles at the police station screaming at them....just a crazy response to what is really nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

I'll bet people who have vandalized stores in the US have had weapons pointed at them, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

I'll bet people who have vandalized stores in the US have had weapons pointed at them, too.

Maybe, but usually taking $50 out of your wallet and giving it to the guard doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fools do foolish things BUT

If I am drunk, and someone is screaming at me in Portuguese demanding money with a gun, I'm probably going to say I was robbed. The telling of the tale would get get better over the next 24-48 hours. Two days after my hangover was gone...I'd be like: Holy Shit...I think that guy worked there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm!
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
But still, demanding passports, pulling people off planes and the people surrounding vehicles at the police station screaming at them....just a crazy response to what is really nothing.

And thats why the world hates merkins because you think you are above the law of any one elses country.

When in Rome etc. Your nation quite likes arresting people when their flight stops off in your country for crimes commited in an other country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

And thats why the world hates merkins because you think you are above the law of any one elses country.

When in Rome etc. Your nation quite likes arresting people when their flight stops off in your country for crimes commited in an other country.

Talking about a minor misdemeanor at best...I doubt anyone has been pulled off a plane in the US for something like this.

Part of the reaction is this whole "making Brazil look bad" but the over reaction is baffling to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb

That's the part I don't get. Why go back to the village and spin tales? They could have just shut up and quietly left the country. The story, if it came out, would have been a quiet fizzle like the basketball teams'. Considering where they were, they're lucky they weren't shot, robbed or kidnapped, and the only money they lost was to pay for the damages they caused in their drunkenness. (Lochte is a millionaire who dates a Playboy model. He can afford it.) Quite a bargain under the Olympic spotlight circumstances. Instead they're disgraced for life and are the new poster boys of Americans = Pompous, Arrogant Jerks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:

That's the part I don't get. Why go back to the village and spin tales? They could have just shut up and quietly left the country. The story, if it came out, would have been a quiet fizzle like the basketball teams'. Considering where they were, they're lucky they weren't shot, robbed or kidnapped, and the only money they lost was to pay for the damages they caused in their drunkenness. (Lochte is a millionaire who dates a Playboy model. He can afford it.) Quite a bargain under the Olympic spotlight circumstances. Instead they're disgraced for life and are the new poster boys of Americans = Pompous, Arrogant Jerks.

It appears Lochte didn't want mommy to know what he'd been up to that night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
wifwendell wrote:
Gialmere wrote:

Yes, because he never leaked this BS story to the press until his mother went and ran her mouth to the media about her poor, poor boy.

The entire thing is Ugly Americans Part Umpteen. I love the way the OP makes it about the big bad Brazilians instead. If they really peed all over the gas station and vandalized property, and then tried to demonize Brazilian police, well, gee. No sympathy. These guys will be just fine with their endorsements, OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
All I'm sure of is that Lochte is dumber than a box of rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Gialmere wrote:

Yes, because he never leaked this BS story to the press until his mother went and ran her mouth to the media about her poor, poor boy.

The entire thing is Ugly Americans Part Umpteen. I love the way the OP makes it about the big bad Brazilians instead. If they really peed all over the gas station and vandalized property, and then tried to demonize Brazilian police, well, gee. No sympathy. These guys will be just fine with their endorsements, OP.

Also, you know, filing fake police reports is a serious crime. Not just in Brazil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
MWChapel wrote:
All I'm sure of is that Lochte is dumber than a box of rocks.

A few bricks shy of a load.
A few beers short of a six-pack.
A few cans short of a six pack.
About as sharp as a bowl of jello.
About as sharp as a bowling ball.
About as sharp as a sack of wet leather.
About fifteen cents short.
About three cents short of a dollar.
Elevator doesn't go to the top floor.
He is playing hockey with a warped puck
He isn't playing with a full deck.
He left the store without all of his groceries.
He parked his head and forgot where he left it.
He's a couple of volts below threshold.
His little red choo choo done jumped the track.
His receiver is off the hook.
Nothing between the stethoscopes.
Oil doesn't reach his dipstick.
On the batting end of a no-hitter.
Someone blew out his pilot light.
Surfing in Nebraska.
Was napping in the pile the day that God was cracking nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
she2 wrote:

A few bricks shy of a load.

A sandwich short of a picnic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
she2 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Gialmere wrote:

Also, you know, filing fake police reports is a serious crime. Not just in Brazil.

Did he ever file a report? My impression was he was telling the story and ended up telling a reporter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm!
mbmbmbmbmb
perhaps he should contact the police about the Men's 4x200m freestyle relay, someone stole his gold medal. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are four villages who want their idiots returned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:

OK, but how bad does a village have to get before they want their idiot returned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

OK, but how bad does a village have to get before they want their idiot returned?

You've obviously never been to Norfolk (The county in England). They need the idiots to make the others look OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
This whole story and the way it is developing is interesting to me.

At this point it is pretty obvious that Ryan Lochte's initial story was not entirely true, but it appears that someone in a uniform pointed a gun at them and money exchanged hands, why that money changed hands can be interpreted a couple different ways.

The response of Brazil is curious to me, they pulled people off of planes and are threatening legal consequences for what amounts to a petty theft by a Brazilian or minor vandalism by the Americans. Mobs of people are screaming at them at the police station for a story that got stretched a little bit.

Brazil's response makes them look worse. Facts are an officer or guard of some sort pointed a weapon at foreign athletes and apparently took money from them, making a small international crisis out of the whole thing is out of control.

To be frank I think this is Brazil sticking two fingers up at the yanks.

They are treating you how they think you are (or will if Donny is elected) treating others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
growlley wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

Talking about a minor misdemeanor at best...I doubt anyone has been pulled off a plane in the US for something like this.

Part of the reaction is this whole "making Brazil look bad" but the over reaction is baffling to me.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/muslim-forced-plane-an...

http://upgrd.com/matthew/thrown-off-a-united-airlines-flight...

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Passengers-Call-911-Aft...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My wife is pretty disillusioned. She is a giant swimming fan and had a big Lochte crush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.