Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a release date set on this one for USA? Kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
No kickstarter. Released sometime in October. The game will be produced in the USA and orders will probably go up after it is produced or near that.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the design.

Here's a good post on what the company is all about:
https://hollandspiele.com/blogs/hollandazed-thoughts-ideas-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Fitzpatrick
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite surprised you arent trying KS for this. why wouldnt you want help paying for production via backers? KS would also act as a promotional tool getting the game, your company and you "followers"/Eyes. This product and your company are IDEAL for KS, its what I prefer to back on KS, instead of a 12th CMON project. Since KS is practically a pre-order system at this point, Whats your reasoning behind not putting on KS? It just seems like a perfect fit?? if you dont mind.

Its just if i see this on KS, I WILL BACK, along with many others I bet. Otherwise if it doesnt go to OLGS I'll never get it.

Thanks, Game looks so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We can buy games on KS? I thought KS was just another forum for complaining about projects that don't meet our expectations: oh no, you used plastic; oh no, you used wood; oh gross, i can't see green; wait, a week late; no solo rules?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
predator8u wrote:
Quite surprised you arent trying KS for this. why wouldnt you want help paying for production via backers? KS would also act as a promotional tool getting the game, your company and you "followers"/Eyes. This product and your company are IDEAL for KS, its what I prefer to back on KS, instead of a 12th CMON project. Since KS is practically a pre-order system at this point, Whats your reasoning behind not putting on KS? It just seems like a perfect fit?? if you dont mind.

Hi Miles,

While we appreciate your suggestion, we never really considered kickstarter as an option for Hollandspiele. There are a few reasons for this.

First, running a successful crowd-funding campaign requires a very particular set of skills, a very particular type of energy, and a lot of time. None of those are things that Mary or I have in the right amounts or varieties. (If they were, we would have done crowd-funding for our feature films.) We are fairly shy people, and not very good at promoting ourselves in overt or flashy ways. For comparison, one can look to the kickstarter campaign that was ran by a publisher for my game Prepotent; said campaign more-or-less died out of the gate (horse racing joke!) because neither the publisher nor myself had those particular kind of skills. Contrast that with Mark Walker's very successful kickstarters for the Flying Pig line; Mark knows what he's doing and is really good at mobilizing social media contacts for maximum exposure.

Secondly, running a successful crowd-funding campaign often requires a very specific type of product. While a game like Mr. Wehrle's might arguably be a good fit for such a model, especially given the success of his Pax Pamir, I don't think my upcoming battle quad set in the twelfth century would really set Kickstarter on fire, nor that game I keep threatening to do on Jenkins' Ear or the Anglo-Dutch Wars.

Finally, it's a question of our particular business model and production methodology. Because we have partnered with Blue Panther to print our games on demand, we don't pay to have a copy of the game produced until that copy is ordered. While we have to sell so many copies of a game to cover art costs and such, that number of copies is fairly low and will generally ensure we turn a small profit fairly quickly. So, with this business model, it doesn't really make sense to run a kickstarter, wait x number of months for the money to clear, wait for Amazon to take their cut, etc.

With our current model, we're able to publish a game a month (and perhaps sometimes two games a month) with relatively little risk. So, it just makes more sense for us than a kickstarter. That might change down the road, but that would be if we got into some kind of project that required something extravagant like miniatures.

Quote:
Its just if i see this on KS, I WILL BACK, along with many others I bet. Otherwise if it doesnt go to OLGS I'll never get it.

Well, right now we're just offering our games through direct order from our website, with this game coming in October. Really, the major difference between ordering from our website and backing it on kickstarter would be that you would receive your copy of the game two or three weeks after you order it, instead of a year later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will this be making an appearance at Essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
halogen64 wrote:
Will this be making an appearance at Essen?

Seconded!

Also HUGE fun of Pax Pamir and your historic interest in your games themes!!!

Could you tell us a little about your design? How the game plays, where does it fall in the scale of complexity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greeek geek wrote:

Could you tell us a little about your design? How the game plays, where does it fall in the scale of complexity?

The game has about half as many rules as Pax Pamir. It's not a light game by any stretch of the imagination though. I can usually teach the game in 10 minutes or so (compared to 20 minutes with Pax).

That said, the game usually doesn't "click" until pretty late in the first game. In addition to the economic game, players have to be careful about managing the unrest in China and avoiding (or encouraging) an opium war. Matches will usually have at least one opium war, but it's common for games to have more. I've even seen a few games where there was a war every single round.

Gameplay is very straightforward. Each turn is dominated by a single action round where players take turns taking a single action until everyone has passed. The actions are simple, construct an enterprise (Opium Contracts, Fleets, Merchants/Distributors), place an enterprise, participate in conspiracies, etc. Enterprises are placed in supply chains with a price set by the player. The hope is to connect supply chains at a price lower than the market cost of opium. When this happens players get paid. However, there's no cash in An Infamous Traffic (the scale means working with revenue streams). So, if a player gets beat out by a cheaper competitor, their revenue will go down. Chains are also subject to disruption by war and police action.

This means that revenue--a sizable portion of a player's final score--will seesaw throughout the game. Regions where players have easy access will drive prices down, meaning all of those early investors either have to adapt or look for profit elsewhere. A player can loose a lot in a single turn. But the game isn't too tactical. Once players get a handle on the ebb and flow of the game, there are plenty of precautions that can be used to protect your investments.

There are two random elements in the game. The conspiracy circles (ie events) are built from counters drawn from a pool. In most games 80% of the events will be drawn, so the game's is a little more tightly scripted than Pamir. If you don't see a lot of British power early, there's a good chance that it will be coming on a future turn and you can plan accordingly. The second random element comes from dice which are used for three things: to track the price of opium, to provide operational constraints, and to measure the political stability of China. Now, that's a lot of responsibility for so fickle a component, but, don't worry, in practice the dice are rarely re-rolled and the initial roll goes a long way in creating a "seed" for the game. Depending on that roll the China (and the game) could be more or less chaotic, profitable, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It sounds very intriguing! Looking forward to see updates and the game on the market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank you for no Kickstarter. Now I can buy this game when ready and not have to try and get it secondhand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another Cole Wehrle game that has caught my attention! I am really looking forward to this game .

I would love to read a good book about this subject to prepare me for the game's release in October. Could you suggest some titles Cole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Julia Lovell's recent book The Opiuim War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Cole. I have a few questions: is turn a year gone by like in Pax Pamir? The map shows four turns or phases, consisting of players taking actions until they pass. How many actions by one player does a decade contain typically?

And could you tell a bit more on the London season part of the game? Is this where you marry, buy a castle and so on?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every turn represents a decade of activity. Turns are composed of rounds of single actions. Usually players will take 6ish actions per turn (this can vary a lot depending on the game).

When players pass they have the option of sending their scion off to London to make a name for himself. At the start of the round players will have "heard rumors" so they will get to look at 1 of the two or three prizes that is available that round. At the end of the turn, when all players have passed, the prizes are revealed and the richest scions get the best prizes. Some of these prizes are negative (gambling debts and the like) so often players may not send their kids to London if they've heard bad rumors. A players final score is prizes + revenue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the richest scions get the best prizes. Some of these prizes are negative (gambling debts and the like)

So the richest kid will not acquire gambling debts...?

Cole could please explain the conspiracy circles? I think it is great that you pick these not-so-well-known themes as one can really learn something new from playing the game. How do the conspiracy element fit in the actual history of the period?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
Quote:
the richest scions get the best prizes. Some of these prizes are negative (gambling debts and the like)

Usually they can get their parents to bail them out

Quote:

Cole could please explain the conspiracy circles? I think it is great that you pick these not-so-well-known themes as one can really learn something new from playing the game. How do the conspiracy element fit in the actual history of the period?

Sure. So, the conspiracy circles are a way to abstract Chinese internal politics. There's a little proof that the British meddled in Chinese internal affairs, but this subject is complicated enough to deserve its own game. I was faced with a pretty important design choice early on: either I could error on the side of accuracy and construct some systems that, powered by a little player input (but mostly a few dice) would allow me to more realistically model those internal politics, or I could give the players a little more control over everything and trust the competition between the players would produce something like a historical result. I went with the latter option. The conspiracy circles are just a way of grouping these events and creating interesting incentives for the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stone
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is there any chance we might be seeing a rulebook before the game launches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That'll be up to Tom and Mary. I have no objections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Gerit wrote:
Quote:

Usually they can get their parents to bail them out

Quote:

Sure. So, the conspiracy circles are a way to abstract Chinese internal politics. There's a little proof that the British meddled in Chinese internal affairs, but this subject is complicated enough to deserve its own game. I was faced with a pretty important design choice early on: either I could error on the side of accuracy and construct some systems that, powered by a little player input (but mostly a few dice) would allow me to more realistically model those internal politics, or I could give the players a little more control over everything and trust the competition between the players would produce something like a historical result. I went with the latter option. The conspiracy circles are just a way of grouping these events and creating interesting incentives for the players.

I think the conspiracy circles are my favorite part of the design. It's one of many things that made Mary and I certain from the first play that this was something we wanted to publish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not clear to me. Are there counters in the circles with different events on them, or modifiers? Wait, the map says bureaucrats, smugglers and merchants... so you get a certain amount of those to place at will?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole - also, how will the 2p game be? Is it a significantly different dynamic than with more players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Cole - also, how will the 2p game be? Is it a significantly different dynamic than with more players?

I think so. It's a little more zero-sum and a little less forgiving. Games are usually close until they suddenly aren't and one player dashes ahead for a victory. I find them pretty interesting but prefer larger player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new tidbits?

I need to plan my gaming dollars and I'm thinking of not getting GMTs Grand Prix in favor of this...thus is my love of Opium...wait, that came out wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suuuuuuuuuuure it did...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ricottma wrote:
Any new tidbits?

I need to plan my gaming dollars and I'm thinking of not getting GMTs Grand Prix in favor of this...thus is my love of Opium...wait, that came out wrong...

As with the other Hollandspiel games, there will be a few blog posts over the next month or so. I'll be sure to put a link here. I also imagine the rulebook will be up when its been formatted to their house style.

Also:
If facebook is your thing, they are very active posters and have given lots of details for the other designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.