Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools

Hey Fellas,

I was wondering if any of you play your wargames online, not through "Vassal" with Skype, but with Skype and your real wargame on your table top?

How I see it is, each person would have the "actual" wargame set up on their own tabletop. You would have your phone with the camera on that would over see the game board. Whenever someone moves or does any actions he/she would let their opponent know what hex he/she is moving to or attacking. Their opponent would follow along and trace the same moves on their map.

I was just wondering if any of you are out there? I know there is vassal, and it does it's job great for people who like that system, but i'm getting tired of it. I got off computer games because one reason was i was tired looking at a screen. I like to touch and oversee the maps and move the counters and i feel like i loose this when i play on vassal.

So, is there any online boardgame crowd that using their real maps?

Thanks
Clay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried this myself, but I know there are some ASL players who play like this. From what comments I remember reading, I think they liked it very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
norev wrote:
I've never tried this myself, but I know there are some ASL players who play like this. From what comments I remember reading, I think they liked it very much.

I like to grab some online games this way myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my eurogame buddies is just getting into wargames, and we've played games this way. We don't live nearby, so it was going to take too long to have an opportunity for face-to-face play. I don't know how well it would work with a large game featuring many counters & stacks, but for the Nap20 system (Fading Glory), it worked really well. We both set up the game at our respective homes, aimed the laptop webcams so we could see each other and part of the board, then just played. As I'd move my pieces I'd identify which one and which hexes it moved through, and he'd do the same. That way we kept both boards in sync, like a double-ledger system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
One of my eurogame buddies is just getting into wargames, and we've played games this way. We don't live nearby, so it was going to take too long to have an opportunity for face-to-face play. I don't know how well it would work with a large game featuring many counters & stacks, but for the Nap20 system (Fading Glory), it worked really well. We both set up the game at our respective homes, aimed the laptop webcams so we could see each other and part of the board, then just played. As I'd move my pieces I'd identify which one and which hexes it moved through, and he'd do the same. That way we kept both boards in sync, like a double-ledger system.

wow!!!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

This sounds like a great idea. When people have done this, how much extra effort does it involve for the non active player moving their opponents pieces as well? That would be my only concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game's counter density I guess... I wouldn't probably try something like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
MarkEJohnson wrote:

That's exactly the idea. You can have your phone on a mini tripod sync to your laptop that can capture the game with the phone's camera of your iphone or android.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great topic. I have been doing it this way for years, ever since Skype first became available. Just would rather use the real board and counters although I have nothing against VASSAL and use it to keep track of my boards when playing pbem on ACTs. I have been doing Skype and the real boards mostly for ASL but also for some CDGs and other games. In short it just works great and is really enjoyable.

We don’t train the web cams on the boards, as long as you carefully narrate the move for the other guy to follow it works very well. We have never had a big screwup and the occasional minor error here and there has never been a problem. We have been playing all of the regular scenarios from ASL in order for a while now and in September we will take up the scenarios from Yanks. Biggest scenario we have done so far is to the Square out of Beyond Valor.

We used to just use the honor code for rolls, but for ASL it sort of slowed things down to report the rolls and the die colors etc, so instead we train our web cams on the dice cups which is what displays on the other guys screen so you can immediately see what was rolled. Recently I got a dice tower and it works very well to hook the web cam base into the hole at the top and have the camera trained on the tray where the dice roll out. Only other problem is keeping the game set up since most of our scenarios go on for more than a single session. Usually keep my game-boards on one of those poster frames and keep it stowed under the couch between sessions.

Also have played CDGs like Washington's War and FtP this way. For games like that with a common deck we have one person maintain the deck. Basically we have a sheet of paper with numbered spaces and for draws, the guy maintaining the deck holds the card draw up to the web cam without looking and tells the other player which number space he is putting the card on. The other player finds the corresponding card and puts it on the same number space. When he plays a card he just tells the guy maintaining the deck which number space his card is coming from. I know it sounds cumbersome but it works. And goes witout saying that the whole system has to work on trust but the honor code is another feature that I enjoy about it. I know I can trust my opponent completely.

Anyway, I can definitely recommend playing this way. It is real easy to set up and carry through and as I say I have all these lovely boards and counters and I just want to use them rather than seeing an electronic representation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi diddle dee dee. Goddamn. The pirate's life for me.
United States
flag msg tools
roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norev wrote:
Depends on the game's counter density I guess... I wouldn't probably try something like this

Photos like these make my mouth water.

Don't mind me drooling over the cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
TomW731 wrote:
Great topic. I have been doing it this way for years, ever since Skype first became available. Just would rather use the real board and counters although I have nothing against VASSAL and use it to keep track of my boards when playing pbem on ACTs.

Anyway, I can definitely recommend playing this way. It is real easy to set up and carry through and as I say I have all these lovely boards and counters and I just want to use them rather than seeing an electronic representation.

Tom I agree with you 100%, that is why i made this thread. I have nothing against vassal either. It serves its purpose very well, which i have used, but for me i want to play the actual game that i own and move the counters around, and all the other good stuff that comes with it.

I just wanted to know is there more of you out there that feels the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Several of us play Panzer Grenadier over Skype that way. Describing the moves add to the playing time (a scenario takes about twice as long to play as when I play solitaire) but the general banter makes it all worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
norev wrote:

OMG, I have a headache looking at that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Games that want to get out."
mbmbmbmbmb

Wellington

December 2008
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Games that want to get out."
mbmbmbmbmb

Wellington

April 2012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.