Subject: GS Surround a unit in an edge hex? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
v grey
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can a unit in an edge hex, assuming that edge is on their armies side, be surrounded? Or, by default, do they always have two edge hexes in permanent supply? I'm having a lot of trouble moving LXXX Corp past a very stubborn 10A stack wedged into the corner in hex 2603, helped out by a line held by the VIII. That damn river doesn't help, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Friendly map edge hexes are always in supply. It's referenced somewhere in the rulebook. Probably in supply, no sarcasm intended.
Similarly, if the enemy's edge hex has a Hold Value, the enemy can deploy to it unless you essentially garrison it by stacking a unit there. Especially applicable to North map edge Allies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

FYI. This has been brought up in an earlier thread: Re: GS : allied reserves on map northern edge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Why is BGG so populated with posters who only post to say that a post was already posted, and then post a link to the earlier post. It probably takes longer to look up the previous thread than it does to answer the question. Moreover,answering it creates a human interaction among people playing the same game, which could lead to (gasp)friendship.

Be a person, not a link regurgitation komissar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v grey
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oddly enough this is exactly what just happened to me, just a few turns after posting my original post. The road to Liege opened up, so I blitzed right to it and grabbed it with a stack from the LXVII. Unfortunately I left a lot of open road behind me and the US VII Corp came in at 0111 and 0114, cutting off the stack in Liege and threatening to take back Verviers. Now I have to push through with the ISS and hope I can get them back in supply. So watch those edge hexes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
Why is BGG so populated with posters who only post to say that a post was already posted, and then post a link to the earlier post. It probably takes longer to look up the previous thread than it does to answer the question. Moreover,answering it creates a human interaction among people playing the same game, which could lead to (gasp)friendship.

Be a person, not a link regurgitation komissar
On the flip side, showing people that a particular question has previously been asked might make them search for existing threads next time they have a question. This reduces duplicates in the forums which makes existing threads easier to find (reducing the number of questions getting asked multiple times, it's a nice feedback loop!)
That way the forum becomes much more useful as a tool to find answers to questions without having to post a thread. It makes it also simpler to find threads with official answers if any have been given previously.

You have a point though, and I'm a fan of posting the link as well as giving the answer to the question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why is BGG populated with posters who complain about other posters who is actually concerning themselves with the subject of the original poster? It probably takes longer to type everything that's wrong with other people's posts than it does to find out what said people previously has contributed to the community or to add something that's actually (gasp) constructive themselves. How's that for human interaction?

Be a person, not a forum gnome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v grey
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well my post did certainly raise some interesting posting philosophy/etiquette questions. For what it's worth I thought posting the link to the previous thread was helpful and I'm glad I was directed to it. After all, helping each other out and sharing out knowledge and enthusiasm for games is kinda the point of the forums, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
Why is BGG so populated with posters who only post to say that a post was already posted, and then post a link to the earlier post.

I think that many people find it helpful and interesting to read the previous discussion (which often includes some official confirmation or specific rule citations), instead of only reading one person's answer. Personally I always appreciate it when someone gives a link like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.