Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Smith

Cold Spring Harbor
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just tried my first game, and it was quite fun.

I was wondering how people have been tracking their opponents after they use silence.

Personally, I used dotted lines for all of the possible routes, then continued all of them when possible and erased the ones that were not as play continued. The annoying thing was that the map could get unclear when the different possible routes started to overlap each other. Also, in certain situations it meant a LOT of routes to track early on.

Another possibility might be starting a "new" route (separate from the original) on a different part of the transparency, then comparing it to the possible endpoints of the silence, and finally joining it to the original if it becomes clear where to do so. I could also see multiple transparencies being useful here, and/or multiple colors of dry-erase.

Any thoughts on other ways to track silence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to dot possible locations and just pick one and play as if they are going from there. Once my captain uses sonar it gives me a better idea, but if I don't have them again in 4-5 moves or a drone then I just erase the old path completely. It sucks to lose all of my work, but its easier than testing every possible point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kektek wrote:

Personally, I used dotted lines for all of the possible routes, then continued all of them when possible and erased the ones that were not as play continued.

This is what I do as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sparrrrow
msg tools
mb
There could be as many as 13 possible starting places, including possibility of feigned move of 0 spaces. Well, just after the surfacing there could be even 17. Granted, some of them probably end on island/former route and after first next move you can erase every possibility going in other direction but still there could be too many to effectively track them, especially when they are so close.

The best solution would be to use second clear sheet but some could call it cheating as it is not provided along other components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a "Drone search" quickly followed by a "Sonar search" make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You don't need to TRACK all post-Silent routes... Just track (1) and rotate your clear-sheet 90 degrees to see the other (2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Yaroch

Canton and The Villages
msg tools
mbmbmb
That sounds like a cool plan but as Jack Sparrow noted there are 17 possible new tracks after a surface. You are just talking about possible directions.

BUT...if you just tracked 5 and then rotated 90/180 degrees...would that work?

Because with all the other barriers to movement (edge of board, old track, islands) that might narrow it down pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Donnelly
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't rotating it 180/90 change any directions after the silence? aka, a 180 flip would turn W to E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bim-Merle
United States
Trail Creek
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainofwalrus wrote:

You don't need to TRACK all post-Silent routes... Just track (1) and rotate your clear-sheet 90 degrees to see the other (2).

HealthyGamingNetwork wrote:

BUT...if you just tracked 5 and then rotated 90/180 degrees...would that work?

It is NEVER a good idea to rotate the radio operator sheet! West is still west, north is north, etc.... even following a silence. The orientation of the map and direction the captain gives never changes. Its simply a matter of the radio operator remembering that the post-silence path is potentially shifted in one direction by up to four spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just peek over the other side of the divider and say "What's a Christmas Gram? I want one."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm still fairly new to the game as I only have two plays under my belt. even at that only once as the radio operator. I think it comes down to how close you think you have them if you even bother trying to track them. If there is still a very large range of possibilities for them to be at then i would just pay closer attention to the directions after the silence. If they go silent after a successful torpedo either direct of close. I would mark that on the actual map and work the new route from that area. I don't believe it says anything about marking the actual map in the rules to stop you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
Kektek wrote:

Get a sonar immediately. Helps to simplify/eliminate the tracking problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
livio wrote:
Kektek wrote:

Get a sonar immediately. Helps to simplify/eliminate the tracking problem.

I mark possible spots on the map directly, start the new path on the clear sheet a little way away from the previous path and use it to compare all the spots.

You have to be careful not to smudge the map, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bradley
Australia
flag msg tools
I also put marks on the actual map of all the possible places they could be after going silent. Then you track a single path on the film as usual and as they move you can narrow down which of the places they might have moved to while silent. Seems to help me from losing them completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie .
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can't rotate the radio operator clear sheet. North is still North, you'd be changing the directions.

I track the 3 possible directions using the furthest point they could have traveled for the Silence, then keep tracking on all 3 possible directions until they get ruled out. I use a dashed line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Geluso
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Wait, wait, wait. Is feigning and making a zero-move Silence a legal play?

Here's what the rulebook says:

Quote:
When the Captain activates silence, he announces “ACTIVATING SILENCE” and moves his submarine without announcing the route.

• He can move the submarine up to four spaces in a straight line without crossing an island or his own route.

"up to four spaces" seems to imply the possibility of zero movement. On the other hand, "moves his submarine" implies there must be some movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HealthyGamingNetwork wrote:
That sounds like a cool plan but as Jack Sparrow noted there are 17 possible new tracks after a surface. You are just talking about possible directions.

I thought you had to do one movement between using actions. So you surface, but then have to move at least once, then silence. It is still a good strategy though.

On their next move it they don't continue the same direction they were going in you eliminate one path completely since you can't go backwards. It narrows down fairly quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.