Popular Tags: [View All]
vorname nachname
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that this post is just for telling everyone that I'm surprise about this game. What an awesome game just accidentally jumped into my view. I haven't heard of this game before, I just saw the box cover before and thought it's a game like Level 7 Omega P. or Imperial Assault, which I don't like. But after I saw the Gencon buzz list I recognized it. After I watched the dicetower review that is exactely the kind of game I like. An uncomplicated fast paced euro-war-hybrid.
Now I'm afraid I missed the hype here in the forums for the last three month. I have to read everything about this game now. Now I have game which I want to playtest at the Spiel.
Would be good if BGG has an option to alarm you if a war-hybrid game comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will have had less time waiting in anticipation than many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
Sorry that this post is just for telling everyone that I'm surprise about this game. What an awesome game just accidentally jumped into my view. I haven't heard of this game before, I just saw the box cover before and thought it's a game like Level 7 Omega P. or Imperial Assault, which I don't like. But after I saw the Gencon buzz list I recognized it. After I watched the dicetower review that is exactely the kind of game I like. An uncomplicated fast paced euro-war-hybrid.
Now I'm afraid I missed the hype here in the forums for the last three month. I have to read everything about this game now. Now I have game which I want to playtest at the Spiel.
Would be good if BGG has an option to alarm you if a war-hybrid game comes out.

Have you played Blood Rage? It is already available, and I would say it's probably the closest in mechanic to Cry Havoc. Unfortunately for Portal, I think Blood Rage is a much better game, at least in how it flows and works, in addition to supporting 5 players seamlessly. Cry Havoc really only seems to work well with 4 players and 4 only and even then some situations seem rather clunky.
Blood Rage is wildly swingy and has a fantasy/viking theme, but if you have not heard of that before, you should explore that option as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vander Velden
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love Blood Rage, it is my highest rated game and my personal heirloom game I have been painting for about a year, I think Cry Havoc stands on its own merits. The deck building and combat board give it a much different feel. They are in the same family for sure, but I think they are both great and have room for both in my collection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verridian wrote:
While I love Blood Rage, it is my highest rated game and my personal heirloom game I have been painting for about a year, I think Cry Havoc stands on its own merits. The deck building and combat board give it a much different feel. They are in the same family for sure, but I think they are both great and have room for both in my collection

Totally agree with this. I feel Cry Havoc is a good game, and maybe even the theme may push others more towards this, but it is hard to not mention Blood Rage when it is clearly in the same family and implements its mechanics so well.
I guess the main reason I feel this as that in almost every case when there is a rule question in Blood Rage, the answer is almost always YES. This combo seems broken, is it valid? YES. This strategy is overpowered, is it allowed? YES. Everything is balanced out by the fact that everyone starts the same and is balanced by drafting the cards (or not balanced).
Cry Havoc has fixed factions, so you immediately have a whole lot of predefined rules to account for and keep track from the start. It doesn't seem as dynamic and now we have entire threads questioning if certain factions are weaker than others.
Not trying to sway anybody to Blood Rage over Cry Havoc, but if you are waiting on Cry Havoc, it might just be worth checking out Blood Rage in the mean time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vorname nachname
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that I am the only person who doesn't like Blood Rage.
I playtested it last year at the Spiel and I didn't like it.
I don't like card drafting. And this game didn't feel like a "dudes on a map" game. More like a "euro point salad" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
It seems that I am the only person who doesn't like Blood Rage.
I playtested it last year at the Spiel and I didn't like it.
I don't like card drafting. And this game didn't feel like a "dudes on a map" game. More like a "euro point salad" game.

I don't care much for blood rage either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same, played it 4 times even had the KS version but I didn't like the drafting part and the winning by losing strategy. I love Kemet though so I hope this will hit that sweet spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteelWhisper wrote:
Same, played it 4 times even had the KS version but I didn't like the drafting part and the winning by losing strategy. I love Kemet though so I hope this will hit that sweet spot.

Not nearly as good as Kemet unfortunately. It's true that Blood Rage is not for everyone. It is a very swingy game that can turn the tide of battle with 1 card combo.

Cry Havoc has none of this, because your turns are so restrictive and predefined by the faction you are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.