Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burrow: During your Move step, this unit ignores the movement restrictions of hexes it moves into.

Inferno marker: When a non-flying unit enters a hex containing an inferno marker, it must end its movement and suffer 1 damage. Then, remove the inferno marker from the game board.

Swarm token: Treat each hex containing a swarm token as blocking terrain. When a unit moves into a hex containing a swarm token, it must end its movement and you roll 2 dice. For each [strike] or [cleave] result produced by this roll, that unit suffers 1 damage. Then, remove the swarm token from the game board.

Both of these tokens/markers cause a non-flying unit to end its movement. The Doombringer's Burrow ability clearly ignores that section of these tokens' rules because it ignores movement restrictions. However, the damage portion confuses me. Is the damage portion considered part of the movement restriction, or is it independent? If a Doombringer burrows under an inferno marker, does it still take 1 damage and remove the token, even if its movement isn't stopped?

Fluff-wise, I think the Doombringer should not suffer damage from these tokens and the tokens should not be removed if a Doombringer goes underneath it, but it's not clear to me that the rules support this interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Flaying" ability on the Roc Warrior states: "This unit ignore movement and combat restriction of hexes it moves into or occupies". Later we understood (private communication from Derrick to Scott reported here plague land vs flying unit) that the intent of the wording was that the flying unit ignores ALL terrain effects of the hexes it moves into. Because of the similarity in wording, I would say that the same should also apply to "Burrow" ability. In any case, this is the way I'd like to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Giulio. Comparing it to the wording for Flying makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought to look there.

EDIT: Looking at Dawid's first post in that thread, it seems like Swarm tokens actually do stop any unit, including flying units. That seems to suggest that it would affect burrowing units as well, but that doesn't seem thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right Garrett. If I remember well, at some point we had this discussion about the interaction between Swarm tokens and the Roc and, for some reason, we more or less agreed that the Roc was affected by the swarm (I remember funny disquisition about the height a swarm of insects might reach in a fantasy world). I can't find the discussion right now so my reconstruction of events might be faulty. In any case, later we got that ruling by Derrick which I think definitely settled the issue in the other direction. Maybe someone with a better memory than me can be of more help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.