Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crimea's Scout ability and multiple battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Since the rulebook seems to refer to Combat as one thing that happens after Move actions have completed, and it doesn't refer to the individual battles (i.e. multiple territories are contested) as unique Combats, we've been playing Crimea's Scout ability so that only one combat card is stolen during the whole Combat, regardless of how many territories are fought on.

However, I recognize that this might be interpreted the other way, too, that each battle is a Combat, and Crimea's Scouts will steal a Combat Card before resolving each individual battle during the same Combat. Thematically, I think, it might also make more sense this way.

Which interpretation is correct? If this is explicitly stated in the rulebook, my apologies! If the latter is correct, then The Crimean faction is a powerhouse!

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you steal immediately before each individual combat, just like Saxony and Nordic's Power drains fire before each individual combat.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's got to be latter: each battle is a combat and you steal before each one.

For instance, what if you are battling multiple players? Doesn't make sense you only pick one to steal from.

The rules use Combat to refer to individual battles as well as the Combat phase. On pg 31, the Combat definition is definitely referring to a single battle. On pg 22, at the end of the first paragraph it uses combat to refer to a single battle when it says "chooses the order in which these combats occur."

Hope that helps.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tankbard wrote:
I believe you steal immediately before each individual combat, just like Saxony and Nordic's Power drains fire before each individual combat.

soosy wrote:
It's got to be latter: each battle is a combat and you steal before each one.

For instance, what if you are battling multiple players? Doesn't make sense you only pick one to steal from.

The rules use Combat to refer to individual battles as well as the Combat phase. On pg 31, the Combat definition is definitely referring to a single battle. On pg 22, at the end of the first paragraph it uses combat to refer to a single battle when it says "chooses the order in which these combats occur."

Hope that helps.

Thank you both! These are very persuasive arguments. Especially George's quote from pg. 22 is something I didn't take into consideration, but it would indeed imply that combatS are fought per territory.

This is an astonishingly powerful ability, not just for offence, but as a defensive determent, too!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
tankbard wrote:
I believe you steal immediately before each individual combat, just like Saxony and Nordic's Power drains fire before each individual combat.

soosy wrote:
It's got to be latter: each battle is a combat and you steal before each one.

For instance, what if you are battling multiple players? Doesn't make sense you only pick one to steal from.

The rules use Combat to refer to individual battles as well as the Combat phase. On pg 31, the Combat definition is definitely referring to a single battle. On pg 22, at the end of the first paragraph it uses combat to refer to a single battle when it says "chooses the order in which these combats occur."

Hope that helps.

Thank you both! These are very persuasive arguments. Especially George's quote from pg. 22 is something I didn't take into consideration, but it would indeed imply that combatS are fought per territory.

This is an astonishingly powerful ability, not just for offence, but as a defensive determent, too!


I will need to dig up the thread, but this has been confirmed as once each battle, not once each turn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is once each battle, not once each turn.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

As I'm in the middle of a game right now, my question is, where can you draw the random card from? From either the opponent's pool, or only from his cards currently participating in the battle?

I mean, if I know he might be holding his good cards back...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It says "Before you engage in combat,". I always took that to mean you steal a card, and then both of you choose cards for combat.

It would seem too powerful if you waited until they chose a card for the combat and then you took that card and they couldn't replace it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry: You do it before the battle, so it's from the opponent's entire hand of combat cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Perfect timing! I'm getting ready to go into battle the turn after next!

Yeah, I see now how it would be too powerful if taken from one of the cards in play.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Basta
msg tools
If you as Crimea engage in multiple combats in 1 turn (yours when attacking or someone else's when being attacked) do you snatch all the cards for each combat before resolving the battles or do you snatch one card and resolve one battle and then another card and another battle?
Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tosha42 wrote:
If you as Crimea engage in multiple combats in 1 turn (yours when attacking or someone else's when being attacked) do you snatch all the cards for each combat before resolving the battles or do you snatch one card and resolve one battle and then another card and another battle?
Thanks.
One card, one battle. Next card, next battle.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.