Hide
8 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: How many attempts at a puzzle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James A
msg tools
When you start a puzzle, do you just keep going until you finish it? Or do you only get so many chances per turn? I know it says use a specific skill but I'm unsure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Roeber
United States
New Britain
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The rating of the skill it says to use it how many attempts you should make. The app doesn't do anything to prevent you from making more guesses, so you need to be honest. It does save your progress if you revisit the puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the number of puzzle moves you get per attempt is based on the rating of the skill identified in the puzzle. So if it requires, say, Observation and your Observation rating is 4, you'd get 4 moves that attempt. Closing the puzzle will save your progress on it, so you can attempt more moves on subsequent actions without having to start from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Marlowespade wrote:
Yes, the number of puzzle moves you get per attempt is based on the rating of the skill identified in the puzzle. So if it requires, say, Observation and your Observation rating is 4, you'd get 4 moves that attempt. Closing the puzzle will save your progress on it, so you can attempt more moves on subsequent actions without having to start from scratch.

Tagging onto the example here....

If you look at the puzzle and determine that it will take 7 moves to solve, you will need to either use 2 actions (each worth 4 moves) or use 3 clue tokens on the first action (each clue is a bonus move)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:
Marlowespade wrote:

If you look at the puzzle and determine that it will take 7 moves to solve, you will need to either use 2 actions (each worth 4 moves) or use 3 clue tokens on the first action (each clue is a bonus move)

What!? Can you use a Move Action to get move points that again can be used to solve puzzles? I have always played it that one move in a puzzle use up one action from the pool. So if it's a lore puzzle and you have 3 lore you'd have 3 actions/moves to use on this puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Nusferatu wrote:
Mxyzptlk wrote:
Marlowespade wrote:

What!? Can you use a Move Action to get move points that again can be used to solve puzzles? I have always played it that one move in a puzzle is one action.

I am using 'move' to be a 'puzzle interaction on the app' not to be confused with the Move Action which gives movement across map tiles or the individual parts of the Action (movement points in Descent parlance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add a small detail: the rules reference entry for "puzzle" states that you use the printed skill value. I'm guessing this means that items that improve the skill in question doesn't also add to the number of moves you get per action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey007 wrote:
Just to add a small detail: the rules reference entry for "puzzle" states that you use the printed skill value. I'm guessing this means that items that improve the skill in question doesn't also add to the number of moves you get per action.

May also be a reminder that items like the Magnifying Glass, which allows investigators to roll an additional die during Observation tests, don't add puzzle steps because it's not a test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.