$20.00
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just spent about two hours trying to set up the British for Scenario 18.1
Part of the problem was my initial counter sorting. However, lots of other confusing stuff.

British Reinforcements:
A/24L Sherman Tank Squadron (5units) I do not have 5 of these and the ones I do have have different stats. Some of the B/24L match some of the A
some of the "C" have same stats as some of the "B"

Cannot find AA/24L tank troop. I have all of the 24L together. What does this look like ?

7DWR infantry battalions(8units). I do not have 8 7DWR infantry units so will use the 6 DWR that have the same stats.

Are my counters messed up or am I just confused (or both)

I dread setting up the German side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that I'm thoroughly perplexed. Two hours? There's only one sheet of British counters. Assuming that your counters are correct, let's have a look...

Quote:
A/24L Sherman Tank Squadron (5units) I do not have 5 of these and the ones I do have have different stats.

The stats have nothing to do with the unit IDs. "A/24L" refers to the ID (rectangular box at upper right side of counter), not the stats. There should be a total of five units (all tanks) with the ID "A/24L." These units are the 'A' Squadron of the 24th Lancers Tank Regiment.

Quote:
Cannot find AA/24L tank troop. I have all of the 24L together. What does this look like ?

This is the anti-aircraft (AA) tank unit of the squadron. It has the same background color as all the other tank units, which should narrow it down for you, and the same NATO box color as all the other 24L tank units, which should narrow it down even more, and it is the only unit with the ID "AA/24L." Once you've located the five A/24L units required for this scenario, it should be relatively easy to locate the AA/24L unit just by matching the colors.

Quote:
7DWR infantry battalions(8units). I do not have 8 7DWR infantry units so will use the 6 DWR that have the same stats.

There are a total of eight units that comprise the 7DWR (7th Duke of Wellington's) Infantry Battalion. These are the 8 units with the ID "/7DWR." Not all units in an infantry battalion are infantry companies. There are four infantry companies, plus the supporting machineguns, mortars, anti-tank guns, and carrier platoon, for a total of eight units per infantry battalion. This is why the ID is important. You're looking for the 8 units with "7DWR" in their ID.

Sorry for any confusion. Once you are familiar with the ID conventions used in this and most wargames, setup for a given side in this game should (hopefully) take you only a few minutes.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I'm always happy to help. If you're still confused, I can send pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools

A/24L: Right-hand block, top row, first five units.

AA/24L: Right-hand block, 8th row, third unit.

7DWR: Left-hand block, 8th row

Notice the use of color to designate battalions.

German counter sheet for reference.

Last counter sheet, with a handful of other units from both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say the support for this game is amazing. I cannot check my counters right now but will do so tomorrow. When I read "infantry" I look for the nato symbol so that is part of the confusion.

The unit I.D. Is a concept I find difficult in all of my games with lots of different unit designations. Cannot seem to overcome this blind spot(amongst many) but will keep trudging along till I get it.

Will file a progress report tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
I must say the support for this game is amazing. I cannot check my counters right now but will do so tomorrow. When I read "infantry" I look for the nato symbol so that is part of the confusion.

The unit I.D. Is a concept I find difficult in all of my games with lots of different unit designations. Cannot seem to overcome this blind spot(amongst many) but will keep trudging along till I get it.

Will file a progress report tomorrow.

Keep at it, Kenneth! This game is well worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pictures, Ethan!

Kenneth, if the idea of formations is giving you difficulty (and you're having trouble locating the proper units by ID or color), there are at least 3 other resources in the printed materials that might offer some help.

1. The Counter Manifest shows the countersheets in their unpunched configuration, with formations grouped together (just like Ethan's pictures, above).

2. The OB section towards the back of the Reference Book lists exactly what units are part of a given formation.

3. The Unit Notes section of the Reference Book goes into detail explaining the units that comprise a given formation. For example, the section on the British Infantry Battalion explains that the battalion is made up of eight units: four infantry companies, a mortar platoon, an anti-tank gun platoon, a carrier platoon, and an attached Vickers MG platoon.

I recommend sorting your counters by formation -- typically by battalion -- and storing them in a counter tray accordingly. This makes setup much faster and easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The unit I.D. Is a concept I find difficult in all of my games with lots of different unit designations.

This may help. The British counters use the following designations in their IDs:

Mortar platoons are "Mtr"
Carrier platoons are "CP"
Anti-tank gun platoons are "AT"
Infantry companies are named by one of four letters: A, B, C, or D

The battalion designation follows this. For example, "7DWR" is the 7th Duke of Wellington's inf battalion. The units would then look like this:

A/7DWR
B/7DWR
C/7DWR
D/7DWR
AT/7DWR
Mtr/7DWR
CP/7DWR

The one outlier is the MG platoon. Since the British attached MGs from a different formation (in this case, a platoon from 'B' Company of the Kensington MG Regiment was attached to the 7th Dukes), the MG unit will have an ID that doesn't match the other seven units of the infantry battalion. It will be "B/Ken." But, to make it easier to locate, it is the same color as the other seven units and appears with them on the countersheet.

I could have simply named the MGs "MG/7DWR" so that they matched the other IDs, but the purists would have been angered and quick to point out my mistake, admonishing me for not doing my research. We went back and forth on this decision point when naming the units but finally decided that the average wargamer willing to tackle a game of OpD's complexity and size was probably a bit of a grognard and would prefer historical names over matching IDs. I'm almost (but not quite) regretting this decision since several people have written to me confused about the MG IDs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone I finished British set up in 15 minutes although cannot find a spot on reinforcement card for A 24L

Now on to the Germans !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
cannot find a spot on reinforcement card for A 24L

Per the instructions in the section on British Reinforcements: "The cost to activate the A/24L Sherman Tank Squadron formation is 8 Reinforcement Points."

Basically, they cost the same as any other Firefly-enhanced Sherman squadron, and they can be placed on the card with 'B' and 'C' Squadrons (B/24L and C/24L) which are identical in every way except for the ID.

When I play smaller scenarios, like this one, I normally just put all the available reinforcements in the map border area at the far north end of the map. That way, the players can glance at them and are reminded of what they have to work with.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.K. Germans set up, British and German reinforcements are on the reinforcement cards or the information track.

Now my head needs a break before I actually start to play !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.