$15.00
$5.00
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished a first draft and some playtesting sessions for my solitaire variant for the Sons of Anarchy board game. It is still an early preview but my last playtest was really fun so I decided to write down and share with you what I have so far.

Please take a look at the living rules at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VwcwHZjVEQY1d3Jbhf3xsHIR... and free to leave any comments or suggestions you have here or in the Google Docs document.

I will update this post whenever there are any significant updates.

Current work:
- Playtesting season 3 cards

Future work:
- Add story cards for seasons 4-7
- Create card backs

Done:
- Write rules
- Season 1-2

Here are some samples of the story cards:

Board state after my third playtest. Barely made it with 3 members alive, $7, no guns and no contraband left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dalivus Morgan
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Solitaire variant - Story mode (WIP)
I am intrigued by the concept of paying members. As a brand new owner who hasn't even gotten to play yet I don't remember anything about paying members (after promotion)so I'm wondering if anyone else has a variant where this is included? Would it overburden the base game if you had to pay each full member every turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dalivus Morgan
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also I like the story cards! Sounds like a pretty cool SP experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of questions.

I guess we don't add enemies to sites in the top row?

Just the sites in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rows yes?

And as its 5 enemies per site to lose, I'm assuming I need expansions to play this?

I only have the base game so do you think it will work with only 6 sites?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
I guess we don't add enemies to sites in the top row?
Just the sites in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rows yes?

Correct. Charming PD, St. Thomas and ER sites will never be occupied by enemies.

Mickey Stirrups wrote:
And as its 5 enemies per site to lose, I'm assuming I need expansions to play this?

What I did so far in playtesting was to use 4 enemies per site. Then displace enemies when a 5th would be added. I changed the living rules accordingly.

Unfortunately without at least one expansion you will still not have enough minis to fill the board. You could replace 4 minis with a heat (or any other) token to show that a location is full.
However, realistically I cannot imagine a situation where the board would actually fill up. This rule is just to protect against a player sitting in his clubhouse and waiting it out.

Mickey Stirrups wrote:
I only have the base game so do you think it will work with only 6 sites?

You probably better off using some tokens as I suggested above because I think the board might be a bit too tight but you could certainly try. I'd be interested in the result.

Thanks for showing interest in my variant. I hope you have fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalivus wrote:
I am intrigued by the concept of paying members. As a brand new owner who hasn't even gotten to play yet I don't remember anything about paying members (after promotion)so I'm wondering if anyone else has a variant where this is included? Would it overburden the base game if you had to pay each full member every turn?

I think you can do that in the multiplayer game too but if one player falls behind he might not be able to come back and will be eliminated from the game early which is not fun.

Another thing you might consider is to pay them only in cash (no guns and contraband) and remove the penalty if you can't pay. Then it would serve as a catch-up mechanic. That might work. It's also thematic. Your dudes are very loyal to their club so they won't just leave the first time you hit a dry spell but when cash is flowing they all want a piece.

Dalivus wrote:
Also I like the story cards! Sounds like a pretty cool SP experience.

The cards still need a little balancing. I often feel they are not as impactful as I want them to be. But it is already a lot of fun to play out SAMCRO's stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool - I'll give this a go tonight and just use heat tokens instead.

Thanks for coming up with this. Looks like fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
Cool - I'll give this a go tonight and just use heat tokens instead.

Thanks for coming up with this. Looks like fun.

I changed the rules so that there can only be 3 enemies on a site because that way they are moving around more and force you to throwdown. So you would need a total of 27 minis. Now the base game only should be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
Looks real good, cant wait to try it, will play and give feedback once I get the game in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for making this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
I tried this yesterday, I have a couple of questions, are the enemy spawn pool and the enemy clubhouse different "places"? If I have enemies on their clubhouse do they automatically move to the place with least enemies at the start of the "spawn phase"? How do I set up the regular anarchy deck to play this? Random 12 cards or like the multiplayer version of the game?

I also think this will work nicely with 2 players to make up for the lack of a third player with some tiny tweaks. Will try it this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Spartan] wrote:
I tried this yesterday, I have a couple of questions, are the enemy spawn pool and the enemy clubhouse different "places"? If I have enemies on their clubhouse do they automatically move to the place with least enemies at the start of the "spawn phase"? How do I set up the regular anarchy deck to play this? Random 12 cards or like the multiplayer version of the game?

I also think this will work nicely with 2 players to make up for the lack of a third player with some tiny tweaks. Will try it this week.

Thanks for your feedback!

During setup you randomly chose 12 story or anarchy cards.

First you spawn enemies randomly from the pool of available enemies.
Second you move enemies from the clubhouse (if any).
The thematic reason is that if you didn't use guns during a throwdown the enemies go back to their clubhouse, put on some patches and will be back for more. Additionally they will have new recruits every round.

I updated the rules and hope this make it more clear. If you have any other questions I will be glad to answer them.

Also I'm very curious how your coop play will turn out. I think if you adjust the spawn table a little bit then it could already work for 2 players.
Maybe something like:
Round 1-4: 3 sites
Round 5-8: 4 sites
Round 9-12: 5 sites
Also double the initial enemies.

Let me know how it goes. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the speedy reply, I'm about to play with the story cards now and a couple of questions popped after looking at them.

When it says fight "x" enemies I roll "x" dices to get the enemy strength, is this correct?

My second doubt is what happens when I cant fulfil an card's request.

Eg. Cards says to loose money or guns, etc.. but I have none of that type. Do I loose an alternative resource? What if I don't have any type of "resource"?

By the way Im thinking about playing with my brother but still keep the competitive aspect going on and not coop style. Think I'll use your version as stock for an enemy "AI", spawning (maybe spawn more enemies) and set up/turn order etc... plus the stock anarchy cards instead of story but add some of the vanilla rules on the 2 "human" players interactions. (eg. add the patch to untie conflicts between the 2 players, maybe add negotiation between players). The one with more money at the end wins. I'll test it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry, I somehow didn't see your post until now.

[Spartan] wrote:
When it says fight "x" enemies I roll "x" dices to get the enemy strength, is this correct?

Yes, you roll one die for each enemy that you fight.

[Spartan] wrote:
My second doubt is what happens when I cant fulfil an card's request.

Eg. Cards says to loose money or guns, etc.. but I have none of that type. Do I loose an alternative resource? What if I don't have any type of "resource"?

You pay as much as you can but only the resource that the card requires you to pay.
I hope for most events this also makes thematic sense. E.g. card #6 says that Nate Meineke is ambushing a prison convoy and using your guns. The cops are trying to find those guns to tie the crime to Samcro. You lose the guns because you get rid of them so they can't be used as evidence against you. If you don't have any guns you don't need to worry about that.

I was trying that all the effects make thematic sense.

If you find any other ambiguities please let me know. This kind of feedback is very valuable to me so I can improve the rules.

[Spartan] wrote:
By the way Im thinking about playing with my brother but still keep the competitive aspect going on and not coop style. Think I'll use your version as stock for an enemy "AI", spawning (maybe spawn more enemies) and set up/turn order etc... plus the stock anarchy cards instead of story but add some of the vanilla rules on the 2 "human" players interactions. (eg. add the patch to untie conflicts between the 2 players, maybe add negotiation between players). The one with more money at the end wins. I'll test it out.

Sounds interesting. Really curious to hear how this plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.