$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
$30.00
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the books says to play with the fighter if it's your first time playing. It was, and I did. I didn't really have difficulty with the first scenario in the campaign, but I did kinda run away from three enemies towards the end. I feel as though future scenarios might be a lot harder, as it's easy to get overwhelmed with only one character.

I'd prefer to attempt playing more with just the one character, but if the overwhelming consensus is that it's too difficult to do, I will start over with more characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I haven't tried with one, but if 1 character can, I'm guessing the Fighter is probably the best one for the job.

He's daily ability to take another action is completely op in 2 players - when you're playing with just 1 guy and can buy all the recharges...

You can basically 1 shot any villain with umber hulks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Healing is often your main problem with just one character. No opportunity to sit back and let someone else take the heat if things go badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:
Ninjadorg will pipe up in a minute to say he's done it. I've only tried it with Drizzt. It's do-able, particularly if you throw in a third or even fourth Restore token.

laugh

Yeah, the fighter can do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Franklin1742 wrote:
Ninjadorg will pipe up in a minute to say he's done it. I've only tried it with Drizzt. It's do-able, particularly if you throw in a third or even fourth Restore token.

laugh

Yeah, the fighter can do it.

Heh. CAN... But is it a good experience? Harder, easier, samey as with multiple characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed it, but the tougher quests are at the start. Once you get a few upgrades it gets easier. Like it does with multiple heroes really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty, cool. I'll carry on with the fighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
I enjoyed it, but the tougher quests are at the start. Once you get a few upgrades it gets easier. Like it does with multiple heroes really.

Agree - I don't think they got the balance right in this one , compared to previous games in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Beaklini
msg tools
I did with the figher and with the ranger. I do not reccoment the others.

Both fighter and ranger have innate abilities that can deal 2 damage to a monster if you get one the hard ones. Be able to one-shot a monster and move to explore every turn to tone down the number of encounter cards and speed up to the objective is the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mXZPLK wrote:
I did with the figher and with the ranger. I do not reccoment the others.

Both fighter and ranger have innate abilities that can deal 2 damage to a monster if you get one the hard ones. Be able to one-shot a monster and move to explore every turn to tone down the number of encounter cards and speed up to the objective is the key.

I lost in quest #2, but I did get enough gold to level up for next time. I keep getting overwhelmed by all the enemies, and I had a ton of bad tile draws with black arrows in that attempt. Not giving up, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Beaklini
msg tools
Which hero and powers you are using? The fighter with +10 Dagger attack can one shot most enemies, and should be able to hit the 2 hp ones with his Axe attack that deals +1 damage if you start your hero phase adjacent to the monster (which happens in most cases, specially villains, when you're playing solo). Remember to try to kite the villains but always place then at the edge of the tile so you can be adjacent and at the same time one tile away so you can trigger the bonus of your axe. Sweeping Attack and Lunging Attack are aswesome as they both serve as area attacks and villain killing attacks, all in one package.

The ranger has an innate ability that makes him deal +1 damage to enemies you control... which in a solo game it includes all of then, including villains. With a kickass +8 to hit and two tile range you can kite then to infinity. Also at the start you can use your scimitar attack to hit two enemies, even if it's only a +6, speeding up your clearing speed. With the ranger you should get the Regain 2 Hp tokens 1st, as your average AC will make you use your healing surges a bit too often.

The cleric imo doesn't heal that much (3 from utility power, plus 2-3 from innate ability using other utilty and dailies in total, per adventure), and with only +6 on all skills and no way to deal more then one damage per turn except with dailies, playing with cleric you'll have monster staying on the board hitting you for far too long, far outdamaging your heals and not allowing you to explore often enogh to avoid those encounter cards.

As for the Rogue and Wizard, they have the same problem in the damage department as the cleric, plus no heals and are far too squishy to play solo. Fighter and Ranger all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using the fighter with the abilities you mentioned. I've yet to pull any card that lets me refresh the abilities that require being flipped after use, so I really need to use them when I'm sure it's the best time. My rolls were kinda crap during quest #2, so, that coupled with the black arrowed tiles led to a fairly quick demise. I'll be back at it soon, anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.