Subject: TED - revisited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With ten plays in the last fortnight, I feel fairly confident in saying I rediscovered TED.

I was impressed with TEK and I enjoy cooperative games, which is why I decided to back TED too. Having received the game, I was initially lukewarm about it. Immediately I was surprised to find that the art of the regions is much better than the art (in both TEK and TED) on the faction cards, I recognized how the double-sided Region Cards, the large number of Characters/Factions one can play as well as the plethora of Dire Enemies and Epic Foes would offer some replayability but I never really warmed up to the game. Not like TEK had managed to accomplish at least.

And then we went on holiday and I wanted to bring a compact cooperative game. I knew Hanabi was not an option and I knew I needed sth with more flavour than The Game, so my eye quickly fell on TED.

Even though we lost our first two games, it was a bit of a hit with my girlfriend who especially liked the many variables the game has to offer. This must have sparked some more love with me, because I have played it on almost a daily basis since and I look forward to playing it even more. I am currently pretty confident in adding 3 dire enemies to the deck, and tomorrow I will crank it up to 4.

So, all in all, it took a couple of plays but I am very happy to have backed it and look forward to getting many more plays in. It will soon be introduced in new groups and hopefully find more love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. My first plays of TED left me lukewarm (and my wife cold). But I hope to try it again soon, and I hope I have the same experience you have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Thanks for posting this. My first plays of TED left me lukewarm (and my wife cold). But I hope to try it again soon, and I hope I have the same experience you have!

My girlfriend was fairly enthusiastic (she is not an avid gamer), which helped. She just requested another game, which is remarkable. We are at 2 dire enemies now. I have today tried my first hand at 4 (which was a terrible loss)
Hope you too will find a way to enjoy the game. It will never be my favourite coop, but there is enough to enjoy, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Hope you too will find a way to enjoy the game. It will never be my favourite coop, but there is enough to enjoy, for sure.

I don't need it to be a favorite, but I'm hoping it might join Forbidden Desert and Pandemic: The Cure as a super-portable co-op we take on trips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

I don't need it to be a favorite, but I'm hoping it might join Forbidden Desert and Pandemic: The Cure as a super-portable co-op we take on trips.

Here's two of us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come full circle. TED is really easy to set up and play. At first it seems random and luck is still a big part. But you cannot win with luck alone, you have to conserve and make the most of your actions.

One little thing I do which seems to improve the game is make sure I only have one dire enemy or nemesis for each region during random card setup. Makes it pure chance for which regions have what.

The Beholder looking monster is my favourite nemesis. It is really cool how he circles the kingdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
I have come full circle. TED is really easy to set up and play.

While we like TED, I disagree with the "really easy to set up" portion - we regularly mess up the deck construction portion.

That said, TED actually hits the table less often that TEK (which we LOVE - in fact just finished playing again this morning) and TEG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.