$15.00
$5.00
$30.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Suggestions for games from 'merica. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Crane
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools

Hi

My mum is going to holiday in the US of A in a couple of weeks. So of course i plan to have her mule some games back for me .

Im already getting her to pick up KLASK. Im looking for suggestions for other games.

Criteria

Not available or not easliy obtainable in australia.
Not overly expensive
Not too big (she has 6 grandkids which im sure will take up most of the return luggage space)

Fire away team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
How would we know which are not 'easily obtainable' in Australia?

Your best bet is to pick the games yourself, and if possible, buy them online and group them in one shipment and have them shipped to where your mum would be staying while in US. If you time your purchase right, she'll get the shipment when she's in the US and all she has to do is bring them home. Save her the hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could pick any game that you would like to have and it would be 5 times less than what it would cost to get in Australia.
Go nuts and say to your mum that you are her favourite so bring me more home and the grandkids don't need more stuff.
That's what I'd do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn is boufalaxx
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance I could put in a request?

I want some extra dice and promo wizards for Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar the Khan
Australia
flag msg tools
I don't really know what kind of games you are into but I've fallen in love with Galaxy Trucker which can be difficult to obtain in Aus. Only one place I know has copies and I might have bought the last a couple of months back. Other than that maybe check with local board game shops to see if anything they recommend is out of print at the moment, or if they have received lots of orders for something they can't get their hands on (ie. the way it used to be for Cards Against).

ppsantos wrote:

It's a reasonable enough assumption, please don't be rude about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a former bris-vegan I would say, just look at games you would like to get that aren't "full of air". The cost of games in the US compared to Australia is sooooo much cheaper. As a general rule, avoid deckbuilders as they might weigh too much.

Either pick 1 or 2 standard size games, or maybe 4-5 small games.
All games are available everywhere, its just the postage can get ridiculous.

good luck and happy gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, you have not rated many games so it's hard to tell what you like.

But what about newer games and expansions - Codenames pictures, Time stories and expansions. Cry Havoc and the new Mansions of Madness seem to be causing a buzz but they are bigger games.

Also the GMT games can be harder to get in Aus.

Otherwise get games on your wishlist!

ppsantos wrote:

Perhaps you missed that this an Australian forum. I think most Australian gamers have a sense of what is harder to get in aus than the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crane
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I will just ask her to grab something I want for a hell of a lot cheaper.

I was just so excited for KLASK which is impossible to get here, I thought I would see what else I could grab that I would never have another chance to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jackson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Don't want to be a killjoy but be aware that Customs Duty may be payable at the airport. They may well turn a blind eye for games, especially if you just have one or two, but the more your mum brings back the more likely they'll hit her for duty on the lot. Probably still cheaper than postage though ...

As for the "how would we know" comment, I think the Brisbane, Australia forum is a perfectly reasonable place to ask that question of Australians
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was going to be games about Mercia and Vikings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
I thought this was going to be games about Mercia and Vikings...

"Where'd you get the coconuts?"
"We found them."
"Found 'em? In Mercia! The coconut's tropical"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good games that are hard to get in Australia, because they are by small designers who's work doesn't get here easily

Burgle Bros
Paperback
Leaving Earth
Fantastiqa (enchanted edition)
Healthy Heart Hospital (lot of Victory point games are great and don't ship to Australia)
Lost Woods
(Also Eagle Gryphon games don't always make it hereand a lot if them are awesome)
Also some game accessories like broken token box organisers and meeple sourcse do some awesome game component up grades that are just to expensive here.
Also small box games from the Geek store (eg. Omi) are all free post in us but like $25USD to Australia.

I'm trying to think of more small designers I know that are hard to get here ...
Anyway hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you decide to get, I would suggest www.coolstuffinc.com They have free shipping if you order $100 or more (well, free shipping to continental US). Whenever I go back to the states, I do a big order with them. Their prices are almost always the lowest.

Another thing to consider would be buying OOP games on the boardgamegeek market. There are a lot more sellers in the US than in Aussie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sly Gryphon
Australia
Upper Kedron
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spadoinkle wrote:

Not too big (she has 6 grandkids which im sure will take up most of the return luggage space)

It doesn't sound very safe to be putting the grandkids in the luggage :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn is boufalaxx
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Monikers or The Metagame

They both look fun an hard to buy in AUS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jackson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I am biased, but I have to suggest ASL (Advanced Squad Leader), as it is US manufactured and hard to get cheap in Aus, and should have easy resale on ebay at a small profit if that's what you're thinking.

The Starter Kits (SKs) and some of the smaller modules are relatively inexpensive from the manufacturer (MMP) but the SKs sell for a small fortune on ebay in between prints. For resale the SKs #1-3 and the Core Modules are probably the best.

But of course if you like detailed World War 2 games you might just want to keep them for yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo God
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found Haba games to be very difficult to find in Aus. I also wanted BANG! the dice game but ended up getting it in the states last time I was there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dosky A
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said I would look for small games or expansions that won't weigh too much. Just look up games you want online and compare the Australian retail price to the US one. I tend to just buy whatever has the greatest discount online and games with a small discrepancy I buy in store.

Deep Sea Adventure is a nice small game that is annoying to get shipped to Aus.
Also Oceanos (out soon) seems to have ludicrous shipping from US.

For the person who mentioned Galaxy Trucker I can confirm that it is currently in stock in at Good Games, Spring Hill Brisbane - but I do agree that this game is getting harder to find. I saw it on the weekend but had already bought the new edition of Ra and Quadropolis that day so couldn't justify another purchase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.