Neil Willmott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all - apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. (I did look...)

The following situation came up last night:

Elrond had Light of Valinor and Vilya.

In the Quest phase, I committed him to the quest (without exhausting him), along with other heroes and allies.

Then I exhausted him and Vilya to bring in Northern Tracker from the top of my deck. This I believe is using the action window in and around "Step 1: Commit Characters".

I then committed the Northern Tracker to the quest, triggering his response.

Did I play this correctly? Should I have been able to bring in an ally in this way and then commit him to the quest? It felt a little bit too good to be true, but also I thought I was interpreting the rules correctly...

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately that won't work. You commit all of your characters to the quest simultaneously. So by the time you're in the action window after committing characters to the quest it's too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Willmott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. It didn't feel quite right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alberto Rodriguez M.
Colombia
Bogotá
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not sure about this affirmation:
toliveischrist77 wrote:
(...) You commit all of your characters to the quest simultaneously.(...)

But in the FAQ I found this:

"Q: Does a player commit his characters to a quest at once, or one character at a time? When can a player trigger responses to committing his characters to a quest?

A: A player commits all characters he wishes to commit to a quest at once. Responses to the characters committing (such as those on Aragorn and Theodred) can then be triggered in the order of that player’s choice. After a player has committed his characters (and triggered any responses to those characters committing), the next player has the opportunity to commit his characters to the quest."

So, toliveischrist is right. You can bring "Northern Trackern" to play, but he can't commits to the current quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlmachi wrote:
I was not sure about this affirmation:
toliveischrist77 wrote:
(...) You commit all of your characters to the quest simultaneously.(...)

But in the FAQ I found this:

"Q: Does a player commit his characters to a quest at once, or one character at a time? When can a player trigger responses to committing his characters to a quest?

A: A player commits all characters he wishes to commit to a quest at once. Responses to the characters committing (such as those on Aragorn and Theodred) can then be triggered in the order of that player’s choice. After a player has committed his characters (and triggered any responses to those characters committing), the next player has the opportunity to commit his characters to the quest."

So, toliveischrist is right. You can bring "Northern Trackern" to play, but he can't commits to the current quest.

just to be clear, 'commits all characters [...] at once' does mean simultaneously

your overall post seems to agree, but you said 'But in the FAQ I found this:', which suggests your post is contradictory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same question last night. I felt a little dirty doing it, but I remembered the "commit to quest" action window was colored green so I should be able to perform actions, etc. in the midst of committing. Forgot about that special clause requiring simultaneity.

Might be time to quit trying to make Galadriel/Elrond work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.