BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Have you ever thrown a game because it was just taking too long? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dear_abby [+] [View All]
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently i was playing a 3 player game of Smash Up with a couple of friends. I can't remember what the factions were that were in play but i know one of mine was the Geek & Sundry faction.

We'd basically been playing this single round for an hour and everybody at the table was getting fatigued. I had a hand full of cards which returned minions to discard piles or people's hands as well as other such "game extending" abilities.

I found myself repeatadly not playing these cards just so somebody could score a base and finish the game.

I'd played the game before but the other guys at the table hadn't so i was conscious i didn't want to leave them with a negative lasting impression of the game by making it out-stay it's welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah i like Smash Up as a 2-player game. 3 it can be too long for what it is, but can also be ok depending on factions chosen. 4 is just horrible.

I wouldn't throw a game tho. I would just suggest that it is a better 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

We played the first edition Zombies!!!

After two players figured out you could play spoiler cards on any named square they just (deliberately) played the game to stop anyone wining.

After for 4 (expletive) hours every other player just played helper cards on any player on the helipad (or near it) so that someone could win and we could end the (expletive) game.

We never played it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
One Overtext To Rule Them All
badge
One Overtext To Rule Them All
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a teenager, we would regularly quit Risk or Axis & Allies once it got down to two players. Either we'd call it a draw, or one would concede to the other if there were ego considerations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:
Recently i was playing a 3 player game of Smash Up with a couple of friends. I can't remember what the factions were that were in play but i know one of mine was the Geek & Sundry faction.

We'd basically been playing this single round for an hour and everybody at the table was getting fatigued. I had a hand full of cards which returned minions to discard piles or people's hands as well as other such "game extending" abilities.

I found myself repeatadly not playing these cards just so somebody could score a base and finish the game.

I'd played the game before but the other guys at the table hadn't so i was conscious i didn't want to leave them with a negative lasting impression of the game by making it out-stay it's welcome.

That's a promo faction. As such, it can unbalance the game, and make it drag.

Don't throw the game away. Just don't use this faction I have not played with it, but have not heard a lot of good things about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin. I didn't care who won, as long as the game would end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Savva
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A 1-hour game is considered long in your group? It depends of what your expectations are, but there are plenty of games that are much longuer than 1h. If you enjoy it, the time is not a problem. I have quit once a game of Legends of Andor, but it was because it became clear that we will lose and I wasn't enjoying it at all.
I mainly play games that last 2+ hours, and I enjoyed long sessions of 6-7 hours, even if I was expecting 3 hours in the begining. Complex games tend to surpass their advertized playtime once you throw in people that are not familiar with the game.
Oh, I just remembered. I abandoned my first games of Eclipse and Runewars as being too long( but it was mostly because I was hammered away by my rival and I wasn't enjoying the games. My initial impression about these games was that both titles suck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over an hour is long for Smash Up yes, but we don't shy away from long games. We'd just finished playing Archipelago and were after a filler whilst waiting for the fourth player to arrive before moving on to Elder Sign and Alchemists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:
Over an hour is long for Smash Up yes, but we don't shy away from long games. We'd just finished playing Archipelago and were after a filler whilst waiting for the fourth player to arrive before moving on to Elder Sign and Alchemists.
Smash up is a game that looks like it should be a quick game but runs way longer than you'd think. Given how long the game can be, I'd rather play a deeper game for the same amount of time. The depth to length ratio is way off on SU for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Fort Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!!!
Indiana Jones DVD Adventure Game
Cosmic Encounter

I've thrown each of these once just to end the game. They had each reached a point of boring, repetitiveness where the game just wasn't enjoyable anymore. I won't throw a game if I'm the only one who's bored but no one was enjoying themselves in these games.

Edit: Add Samurai Sword to that list as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I acted as kingmaker in a game of We Didn't Playtest This At All so it would end about a minute sooner (I was going to lose regardless, I took out 2 of the 3 remaining players). I'm not sure whether I've throw a game I could win - possibly, but I'd only do it if no one was enjoying it anymore. In a longer game (maybe Munchkin but I've never played it and never wish to) I might throw the game but I'd make sure it was obvious that's what I was doing so people knew the game might end earlier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't thrown a game to get it over with but I have made moves to speed up the ending. One of the guys in my group is really, really slow on his turns. Really slow. After awhile most of us will get tired of waiting for him and just take whatever actions on their turn spring to mind first just to get things over with and not make the game take longer. I've talked to him about speeding up his turns but it doesn't help. He doesn't seem to realize he takes so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting!

I've found smash up to be great with 3 or 4 people and cleans up pretty quickly. Some combinations that require a lot of table manipulation (thinking the robots?) can make a turn last awhile but for the most part the game moves fine.

As for throwing a game I know i've done this. It's late, kiddo wakes up in 5 hours, i'm not going to win so might as well just try to get the game to end so we can all go home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently was accused of attempting to throwing a game of Scythe by allowing an opponent to claim victory on my turn. I was just trying to keep my score as competitive as possible by denying my opponents an additional turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just scoop if we are not having fun. Then on the trade pile it goes. Recently, Mystic Vale. The turns were going on. She had taken all but one victory point and I said "how about you take that one too and we just end this crap."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I'm fine with longer games. If it is a great game, I don't even notice. When I do notice is when it is a simple, repetitive game that was never meant to go long. I will usually stick it out because everyone else is having fun. If it is a short game played over and over, I make some excuse and bow out of a few games. I've only played one game that was a single play through where I definitely gave up during the game.

We had just gotten Epic Card Game from Kickstarter and had 3 players. After a few regular games we decided to play the 3-Headed Hydra variant with only 2 against the Elder God. The game is only supposed to take about 20 minutes per game...

4 hours later it was looking like someone's deck was finally going to run out in a few turns and we'd be done. At this point I didn't care who won. And then the Elder God player made us all shuffle our discards back into our deck...

Me Internally: arrrh zombie arrrh zombie arrrh zombie arrrh zombie

Me Externally: *tired face* 'Guys, I'm sorry but I really need to be done with this game. It's been 4 hours and it's obvious to me that this game variant is not designed for 2 against 1. We're just going to stalemate forever.'

My teammate wanted to keep going. So at first he tried to convince me to keep going but when he saw I wasn't doing my best he took over my player side and played both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:

I wouldn't throw a game tho. I would just suggest that it is a better 2 player game.

Yep. I love Smash Up with all my heart, but honestly it is best 2 player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harris
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest I've come to this would be recognizing that things could drag on in an effective stalemate indefinitely and instead deciding to commit myself to a high-risk, high-reward move that will either win or lose the game rather than dragging it on. That's not really "throwing," though since I'm still trying to win. I think that truly throwing a game (forcing yourself to lose quickly just to end it) is pretty inconsiderate to the other gamers who have put time into playing the game up until that point. It's sort of a slow-motion table flip that ends the game before its natural conclusion.

If no one is having any fun and the end is nowhere in sight, I think the much better approach is just to suggest ending with a handshake and moving on to something more enjoyable. If everyone agrees, I don't see anything wrong with that approach. I've had a few games end that way myself and no one ever had a bad taste over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harris
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cocuzzi wrote:
When I was a teenager, we would regularly quit Risk or Axis & Allies once it got down to two players. Either we'd call it a draw, or one would concede to the other if there were ego considerations.

I used to have a regular Axis & Allies game with some college buddies. The unspoken rule was that as soon as Moscow or Berlin fell (and was not retaken), that entire side would concede and the game was over. We played so much that way that I had forgotten until reading your post that that wasn't the actual written victory condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking a risk because it was my best chance? Of course.

Throwing a game that other people are enjoying because it's taking too long for me? I can't think of many things more selfish when playing. That's like convincing yourself you're doing something when in reality you're just throwing a temper tantrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to quickly defend SmashUp a bit -- while it can drag on, it's a game that hides its learning curve very well. In other words, it can take about a half dozen games or so before you're really conversant in the strategy, and even longer before you're familiar with the different factions. Once you gain that knowledge, not only does the game go faster (because you're taking way less downtime to read cards) but you also get a much more enjoyable experience (because you're more able to respond to other people's strategies).

Unfortunately, SmashUp doesn't bill itself this way (it seems like a really light, anyone-can-play sort of shufflebuilder) so there's a lot of unmet expectations after the first play. This has been my experience, so I try to include this in my rules explanations when we play

Anyways, your point is totally valid -- for me it was a one-hour game of Fluxx! zombie -- but I just wanted to chime in with some hopefully not-fanboyish defense of SmashUp there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Munchkin. I didn't care who won, as long as the game would end.

There have been more than a few games where I conveniently forgot about a card in my hand that would have prevented someone from winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this counts, because the game allows it, nevertheless...

I was so pleased to pick up a card (I can't remember the name of it) the effect of which was something like give your opponent 10 points and end the game. I played it as soon as I could just to end the misery of Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
What's going on over there?
badge
Don't Blink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders - Four player game, exceeded four hours and it was in the wee hours of the morning, we just had to call it.

I know what your thinking, priorities! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ugh yes with Smash Up, Munchkin, and Fluxx. Our game nights usually have more than four players and I bought Smash Up (and a few expansions) as a quick filler while we're waiting for folks to show up or regroup for a larger game. Each expansion adds a bit to the overall playtime and the game has slowly turned into a 90+ minute slog where you know who's going to win 45 minutes in. With a bit more play and familiarity with all of the factions we could probably speed it up but there are just better games for filling this niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.