John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hoping to play our 1st game this weekend, and was looking for "crew suggestions" (for a 2-player game) for:

- episodes 1-3
- and then maybe 4-6

i've seen several posts where players indicated the suggested pairings in the rulebook make sense as far as the actual TV episodes went, but really aren't the crew choices you'd want to make when playing the game...

thanks...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McPherson
United States
Ft. Wainwright
ALASKA
flag msg tools
I'll play
badge
Vigilo Confido
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for my first games (all solo) I used Mal, Zoe, Inara, and Simon as supporting characters. I played it campaign style where I went through every episode but I replayed episodes that I lost until I successfully completed them. I didn't look through their decks beforehand but based on what I know of their characters from the show, they seemed like they would have a pretty good mix of Attack, Recruit, and heal abilities. I think this worked out pretty well.

I rotated through each of the other characters so that I played as each of the remaining 5 with the other 4 being used as non-player main characters. I used Jayne for the first game, then Book, Wash, Kaylee, and River in that order for the following games. If I lost a game, I would keep playing with the same character setup until I got it right. If I remember correctly, I only lost twice (for a total of 7 games played) and I had a lot of fun that way.

I hope you and your mate find a combo that works well for you and that you enjoy it as much as my friends and I have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nellatrebor wrote:
Well, for my first games (all solo) I used Mal, Zoe, Inara, and Simon as supporting characters. I played it campaign style where I went through every episode but I replayed episodes that I lost until I successfully completed them. I didn't look through their decks beforehand but based on what I know of their characters from the show, they seemed like they would have a pretty good mix of Attack, Recruit, and heal abilities. I think this worked out pretty well.

I rotated through each of the other characters so that I played as each of the remaining 5 with the other 4 being used as non-player main characters. I used Jayne for the first game, then Book, Wash, Kaylee, and River in that order for the following games. If I lost a game, I would keep playing with the same character setup until I got it right. If I remember correctly, I only lost twice (for a total of 7 games played) and I had a lot of fun that way.

I hope you and your mate find a combo that works well for you and that you enjoy it as much as my friends and I have.

but...in a 2-player game we would be playing 2 of the characters, with 3 more avatars as non-player characters (but still "main" characters...these extra 3 don't seem like they'll add much to our quest though; they're kind of just there in case a card refers to them)...

it's the other (remaining) 4 support characters that will really be helping us (because we will be using their decks...hope i have this correct; haven't actually played yet)(smile)...so my question really is:

- for episodes 1-3 which support characters would help us the most? and which 2 main characters should we "play"/use? (again, for a 2-player game)
- and then the same 2 questions for episodes 4-6, etc.

this all assumes that we can, without violating the rules, swap-out main and/or support characters after every 3 episodes if we want...is that allowed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
John_VW wrote:
this all assumes that we can, without violating the rules, swap-out main and/or support characters after every 3 episodes if we want...is that allowed?

If you're playing by the official by-the-book "campaign" rules, I believe you're supposed to keep the same crew throughout all 5 games (15 episodes).

But you can also just play a series of games and swap as much as you want between games. Or you can make up your own rules for a "campaign". It's all good as long as you're having fun. For your first games, I'd suggest swapping crew around so that you can experience more of the game.

Don't get too discouraged if episode 1 kicks your butt a few times. I found it to be one of the tougher ones, depending on which order the episode cards come out. I think that episode has the highest ratio of enemy ships, which can easily knock Serenity out of commission with ship strikes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean B
United States
Abandoned Oil Rig
Gulf of Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I did a little optimizing when we first got the game...in order to make full use of the supporting character decks, you need to have certain main characters.

You start by picking Mal and Book or Inara and Zoe, so that none of the Uncommon card main character triggers will fail (the four of them react with each other in a neat little square).

Jayne, Simon, and River all react with each other similarly (a...very awkward triangle this time), so you pick any two of them.

Then Wash and Kaylee each react exclusively with the other, so pick one of them.

Make sure book is either being actively played or is at least supporting to get his flaw removal, similarly Inara and/or Simon need to be supporting if Simon is not being actively played. The Wash/Kaylee dilemma matters a lot less, since Wash's supporting avoids ship strikes and Kaylee fixes them whther active or supporting.

Not everyone is going to care about this level of detail but...hey it was a slow work day, and I was excited.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Kaylee and/or wash help a lot in your deck with the first game, since there is the potential for a lot of ship damage, and they can help with that. Kaylee is probably a better choice, since she can heal the damage, while Wash prevents is, and depending on what order you pull the cards for the first episode, you may end up with a lot of ship strikes coming at you.

I'd also suggest having Simon as a main character or in your deck, because (especially if you're going to play it as a campaign) healing is a very valuable skill, since bringing players back when they've been defeated is extremely helpful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
markblasco wrote:
I'd also suggest having Simon as a main character or in your deck, because (especially if you're going to play it as a campaign) healing is a very valuable skill, since bringing players back when they've been defeated is extremely helpful.


Having Simon as active MC or supporting, either one works. It's having him as inactive MC that's a no-no.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.