Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am still learning the basics of this great game. I have also got the Solo expansion and the FF generator (not used either yet).

My question is how do you play with Off Board Artillery when playing both sides solo? I have tried searching on the forums, but haven't found any answers yet. I know "how" it is supposed to work, as per the rules, but I want to know how any of you actually use it in a solo play-through, because it seems to be difficult to do it fairly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to plot 3 different target hexes and then randomly choose one of them when the time comes to execute the OBA.
Not ideam but it works.
BUT
After getting the solo module I have not played the base game solo as everything just works better with solo module
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I've tried that method, didn't really like it - looks like I will have to start playing with the Solo expansion earlier than I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
Hi all,

I am still learning the basics of this great game. I have also got the Solo expansion and the FF generator (not used either yet).

My question is how do you play with Off Board Artillery when playing both sides solo? I have tried searching on the forums, but haven't found any answers yet. I know "how" it is supposed to work, as per the rules, but I want to know how any of you actually use it in a solo play-through, because it seems to be difficult to do it fairly.

Have not tried OBA in this game, but have in Great War and Combat Commander. What are the special circumstances making it difficult?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Difficult to plot OBA a turn in advance as you would always know where it was going to hit and not move units into the plotted target hexes.

My question was really about how others have got around this problem, to make it playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
Difficult to plot OBA a turn in advance as you would always know where it was going to hit and not move units into the plotted target hexes.

My question was really about how others have got around this problem, to make it playable.

Yes, but I really wanted to understand the question. As I stated I've not used the OBA system yet in CoH, so wasn't sure why it was a problem. You've now answered that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my personal experience (which is limited to a small number of solo sessions with OBA), even though I know where I plotted tha OBA, I always play the best choice for the targeted side without regard for targeting. So I won't purposely move units to avoid OBA target hexes unless I would have done so anyway. I have a horrible memory so it works out for me (sort of) and I don't think too deeply about any move anway.

But its sort of annoying having pretend I don't know.

So I randomly select a number of targets. I think it was 5 or 6 and then draw from a cup. Works well enough for solo purposes IMO. It doesn't really matter after all as either way you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.