Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: 2v2 Smash Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Hopkins
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I cannot find any rules or threads on 2 vs. 2 Smash Up.
I am wanting to try different ways to play and we had this idea. I am sure I am not the first one.
Has anybody tried it? What works best?
If we are teams, can I play an action on my teammates minion?
Would my teammate's ability of "Destroy a minion of power 2 or less" affect my minion?
Can we pick and choose what we use on teammates cards?

What is the best way to score?
First to 30 as a team?
First team for each player to have 15?

Thanks a lot for the help!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can check out this thread for some ideas:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1247262/team-smash-2v2

Now, it would be really awesome for the developers to publish official team rules !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:

^ This is hands down my favorite 2v2 variant for Smash Up, and ironically one of the VERY few ways I enjoy playing my 2nd favorite game of all time.

1v1 is meh-ish, but playable. I'd honestly rather play something else.
3 player FFA is a sweet spot for sure.
4 player FFA is awful …just awful.
But… the 2v2 team variant is on point!!!

*First player to 15VP ends the game, but the team with the highest combined total VP wins. (Ending the game doesn't necessarily mean you'll win!)

*Table-talk is legal, but watch out! – the other team will hear everything!

*Your minions are YOUR minions. Your partner's minions are THEIR minions. (Your partner's First Mate won't help your Pinkie and players face the possibility of occasionally negatively affecting their partner.)

*Alternatively, there will be times where your partner has 12 power on a base where you only have 10 power… destroying their power 2 minion will cause a tie and award more points to your team.

So much fun, especially when playing with a faction draft.
Downtime is really limited since players are invested in their partner's turn as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hopkins
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Do teammates sit next to each other?
Is it A, B, A, B?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
andrewkapish wrote:

Downtime is really limited since players are invested in their partner's turn as well.

I've enjoyed a few rounds of 2v2 very much, however the games last much much longer! You're right that there is less downtime, but it is because players are working together to determine what should happen on a turn, suggesting ideas, negotiating other ideas, brainstorming together, and then finally choosing what to play. Because the dialogue is open, the other team is actively listening to the conversation and feels involved.

So the first question I would ask before suggesting 2v2 is whether you'd rather play with your own thoughts for an hour or play with shared thoughts for two?

The second question I'd ask regards affecting other players' cards. The first time we played 2v2, my partner drafted Aliens, so I drafted Shapeshifters. So my partner drafted Superheroes to protect the invader, and I drafted Dragons to have unlimited draw. Every time my partner played Invader, I Copycatted it. She could choose to return Invader to her hand or Copycat to mine; it was basically the same. Meanwhile, she triggered my Imperial Dragons every turn to load up my hand. We pulled off a solid victory.

Because this seemed very unfair, in my second 2v2, I made the rule that there was no interaction between partners - that it was as if each player was playing a 1v2 in every way except in base scoring and the final score at the end. (So no minions or actions should affect your partner.) At first, this worked well. But then this rule was suddenly abused by my opponents, since one of them had Dragons and his partner was now playing minions at full power and getting full VP while my ally and I had to deal with Intimidating Presence and Ruins. I also realized that Elves would help your opponents twice but your team at most once. Elder Things would be overly powerful. Perhaps Ignobles as well.

So no matter whether you go with 100% or 0% interactions between the partnership, the 2v2 will lead to some factions becoming too powerful and others becoming too weak. This isn't awful, as long as there is enough balance to have a fun game.

To counteract this, I propose a 50% mechanism by flipping a coin to see whether the ally will be affected by any given move. This may lead to wasting perfectly good cards/abilities, but it may be the most fair way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheddarific wrote:
So the first question I would ask before suggesting 2v2 is whether you'd rather play with your own thoughts for an hour or play with shared thoughts for two?

Combined i think. Since you also play "enemies" mindset during the game this is less difference than it seems.

Cheddarific wrote:
The second question I'd ask regards affecting other players' cards. The first time we played 2v2, my partner drafted Aliens, so I drafted Shapeshifters. So my partner drafted Superheroes to protect the invader, and I drafted Dragons to have unlimited draw. Every time my partner played Invader, I Copycatted it. She could choose to return Invader to her hand or Copycat to mine; it was basically the same. Meanwhile, she triggered my Imperial Dragons every turn to load up my hand. We pulled off a solid victory.

Seems a bad draft issue. No team should have booth shifters and aliens. Elves are another obviously good one.
If someone is playing support, remove his minions/vp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WildcatPat33 wrote:
Do teammates sit next to each other?
Is it A, B, A, B?

Across from each other. A,B,A,B.
It's all outlined in the provided link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheddarific wrote:
Terrible drafting mistake. Your opponent should have immediately hate-drafted Shape Shifters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
andrewkapish wrote:
teg2 wrote:

^ This is hands down my favorite 2v2 variant for Smash Up, and ironically one of the VERY few ways I enjoy playing my 2nd favorite game of all time.

1v1 is meh-ish, but playable. I'd honestly rather play something else.
3 player FFA is a sweet spot for sure.
4 player FFA is awful …just awful.
But… the 2v2 team variant is on point!!!

*First player to 15VP ends the game, but the team with the highest combined total VP wins. (Ending the game doesn't necessarily mean you'll win!)

*Table-talk is legal, but watch out! – the other team will hear everything!

*Your minions are YOUR minions. Your partner's minions are THEIR minions. (Your partner's First Mate won't help your Pinkie and players face the possibility of occasionally negatively affecting their partner.)

*Alternatively, there will be times where your partner has 12 power on a base where you only have 10 power… destroying their power 2 minion will cause a tie and award more points to your team.

So much fun, especially when playing with a faction draft.

What makes you hate 4 player FFA? I agree that 3 player is the sweet spot but I'd rather play 4 player FFA when everyone knows what they're doing than 1v1 with someone who's never played before.

Also on an unrelated note, 2v2 with Ignobles is going to be INSANE. Hell I'd start giving minion to the other team just to mess with them "why didn't he give it to his partner? What's he planning".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Father Time wrote:
What makes you hate 4 player FFA?

1. down time
2. game length
3. down time
4. have a plan for your next turn? hah… that's cute. good luck with that.
5. down time

Yah… there's nothing quite like 45min of fun packed into 2 hours.
Maybe it's just the 3 different groups I've played 4-player FFA with, but I'm definitely over it. Thankfully, those groups agree that 2v2 offers a superior play experience.

Father Time wrote:
I'd rather play 4 player FFA when everyone knows what they're doing than 1v1 with someone who's never played before.

I'd rather play a 2 player game thats actually good.

Father Time wrote:
Also on an unrelated note, 2v2 with Ignobles is going to be INSANE. Hell I'd start giving minion to the other team just to mess with them "why didn't he give it to his partner? What's he planning".

Agreed. Pumped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
andrewkapish wrote:

Father Time wrote:
I'd rather play 4 player FFA when everyone knows what they're doing than 1v1 with someone who's never played before.

Aside from Star Realms (which I don't have) or something like chess, what options are there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Father Time wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:

Aside from Star Realms (which I don't have) or something like chess, what options are there?

Patchwork
Raptor
Thunder & Lightning
Targi
Seasons
Summoner Wars
Mr. Jack
Lost Cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.