Signorie» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules exceptions 2/3 players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain me why you should remove some alliances tiles in a 2 or 3 player game?

3-player game: remove 1 tile from each family at random
2-player game: remove 2 tiles from each family at random

This makes no sense to me because the tiles are drawn randomly anyway. So removing tiles before the game or take a tile from the whole pool out of a bag has the same effect but removing before takes more time which is not needed. The only difference would be that the face-down tiles run out earlier. But I think the supply should be unlimited anyway.

Another question: The rules say that there are 48 helpers but I have only 40 which should be enough for most of the games. Is this a misprint or should I have 8 more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Removal of 1/2 of each tile is to help the distribution. If they were all left in there, and you take less out, there is a higher chance that some wont be see at all.

Not sure about the 40 / 48
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Removal of 1/2 of each tile is to help the distribution. If they were all left in there, and you take less out, there is a higher chance that some wont be see at all.

Not sure about the 40 / 48

I'm not sure. You randomly remove the same amount of tiles from each family so the distribution between the families stays the same.
The points on the tiles are 2x5, 2x4, 3x3, 2x2 so there is a slightly bigger chance to remove the 3 point tiles but I think this has a really small impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not following me

Take it to the extreme - have 100 of each family in a bag. The chance of you getting an "uneven distribution" of familes coming out is huge. You might get 20 of one and none of another.

Reducing the number of each family is key to this not happening, and for there to remain roughly the same "distribution" during the game.

E.g. Lets say I design a game where 8 tiles are drawn, and there are 4 different families. If it is really important that each family comes out at least once, I need to have 2 of each tile in the game. If I had 3 of each, then it COULD happen that one of the families never comes out and the game breaks because of it.

Simply put, lowering the number of each family tile in there increases the chance that the distribution of them coming out in the game is fair across the families.

This method is not just in this game, but it is a very common method in games to address a potential issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Take it to the extreme - have 100 of each family in a bag. The chance of you getting an "uneven distribution" of familes coming out is huge. You might get 20 of one and none of another.

The chance of getting 20 of one and none of another is no higher than one in a million, no matter how many of each you have. I agree there's an effect, but it doesn't really get bigger as you make the bag bigger and bigger---eventually you hit an effective limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.