Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife played a 2p game with me last night for her first time, afterwards I asked her what she thought about 2e vs. 1e and she immediately pointed out that she liked having a person (it was always me) being the keeper because she knew how evil I could get as the Keeper but also that I was fair-minded and never piled it on overkill and she liked the bantering I would do too to get her and the others all worked up.

I must admit, I loved hearing the groans of the others when it was my turn and I would talk out loud about how I was going to torture them with effects or monsters. The MoM2e IA has zero personality that way.

All that said I actually DON'T miss being the keeper mostly because I was the only one who had the patience and know-how to play as the keeper (set-up, seeding the cards & execution of the Keepers role).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't miss being the Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you already noted there are some things in first edition that makes it not so fun to be the keeper.
For me it's mostly the setup (and fear of making a mistake, which made me both double and triple check every card pile before each game, which of course made the setup take EVEN longer.. ),

But I really enjoyed the actual gameplay when being the keeper, it had great tension. But having said that I really do find a true co-op even more rewarding, I like the interaction and planning, and actually being part of the investigation makes it more fun for me overall.

EDIT: And to answer your question: I guess I miss being the keeper a little bit, but not enough to ever go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I anticipated I would miss being the Keeper. My wife was VERY aprehensive because she truly loved being the Keeper.

That being said after my first play through I no longer have any qualms about the lack of a Keeper. And 2 turns into her first play through she said, "Ok this game is actually really good."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not one bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but I think it will come to the table more often because it doesn't require as much preparation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I wouldn't know... no one ever wanted to be the Keeper.

That is why I got rid of the 1e game, and absolutely love the 2e edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't miss it because I still play the original edition! 2e is fine, but it is an addition, not a replacement, to 1e for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Not. One. Bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
I miss having the option... but i don't miss it the way it was implemented,so fiddly and busy, in 1e.

Some industrious young gamer could certainly come up with a seeding set of items/clues, and maybe a few other things including either a keeper track/deck, so that we could bring that option back.

I aint the guy however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get to play RPGs anymore, and when I did, I enjoyed my share of DMing, so on that level, I don't mind being the keeper occasonally, and no, I didn't really find it that fiddly.

But I don't want to do it every time I play, and that was pretty much the situation, so having both editions works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
As my group's exclusive Keeper, no I don't.

I'll have to ask my group after we play the 2nd scenario (2nd game as well) if they miss having a keeper.

Having said that, I did enjoy the best scenarios in 1st edition and will likely play some more of it in the future. But man do I like the ease of setup in 2nd edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't miss being the keeper, and as seems to be a running trend, I was also ALWAYS the keeper (since I owned the game, I would set up beforehand, so it made sense).

I really like being involved with the investigation. Also my group seems to enjoy the fact that we all get to work together instead of viewing me as the enemy each time. There are some scenarios we never played in 1st edition, so that will make it to the table again eventually, but for now 2E is the way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always preferred playing the keeper to investigator. I expect to go back to MOMv1 at some point in the future, but it will require all the effort to setup.
Alternatively, will we play MOMv2 tonight - who knows - but I just power up the ap and go. Its easy.
We do say, you get out what you put in, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:
But man do I like the ease of setup in 2nd edition!

I really find it funny that it went from being one of the fiddliest setups I've ever encountered to one of the fastest I've ever seen (except for simple card games of course).
(This is obviously since most of the setup is gradual during the course of the game, but that is so much better than the alternative).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was always the keeper and honesty I do miss it. As great as this game is for solo, my wife and I didn't enjoy it as much as we hoped. I was always a fair keeper and really went out of my way to make it tough but fair and keep the right amount of tension.

I introduced 1st edition to many non gamer friends and family and to my wife's non gamer wedding party. Everyone just loved the game, I think because they never played games like this. I actually enjoyed the enjoyment they got out of it.

But being the keeper always I jumped at the chance this year at gencon to play MoM 1e as an investigator, so when signing up I was happy to spend 4 bucks for a ticket, fast forward to gencon, that guy that we paid to play overbooked play slots so one of had to be the keeper and of course no one played before so it fell on me.

But I set that game up in under 20 minutes, using his game. So if you can't set scenarios up in that amount of time using your own set, maybe you are not as good a keeper as you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
It is a funny thing about the setup, it guides you and that makes it fast. Seems to me, as was already mentioned, a setup app for 1E would make it fairly quick as well. The card piles in each room could all be on the app, as well as puzzles and combat. (I thought a while back I ran across a combat app for 1E that someone had done). The steps of the keeper turn could also be guided by the app especially the time step. Plenty of tabletop involvement for keeper and players would remain. Not as streamlined as 2E but certainly not bad. I decided to keep my 1e stuff and hope some industrious app programmer out there makes this a reality. The pvp mode has its appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cart
msg tools
I also miss the competitive aspects of having a Keeper...the trash talking & banter is integral in good board gaming, in my opinion. It takes a ton of work in the first version, however, and not only setting up but also making the story run smoothly. Complete knowledge of the story, cards, etc. is really required, and often I'd add little story details to help it out. Both of those issues have been completely eliminated with this version, but I sort of hope they come out with expansions to include the Keeper with the app. There's no reason they couldn't have the app act as a Keeper aid to all of the first edition missions; Keeper makes the story choices then has the app reveal encounter cards. It could also handle puzzles, keep track of events, and basically streamline the hassles of the first version. I love how the first game had so much variety...including a non-Keeper mission in CotW. No need to limit this to all Keeperless scenarios...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, my wife had the same sentiments as well. After her first play though with 2e she said she liked it a little better with me as the Keeper as opposed to the app. She felt the app made the game feel "bland" at times. Maybe additional play-throughs will change her mind.

As for me, I can't say I really miss playing as the Keeper all that much. If anything, what I miss is the branching narrative that the 1e scenarios have compared to the 2e ones which play out pretty much the same each time you play them with only subtle variations (like the rooms being different in some cases). Hopefully this is something FFG will address in a future update and the 2e scenarios will be as varied as the 1e scenarios were narratively speaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Melon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
[q=All that said I actually DON'T miss being the keeper mostly because I was the only one who had the patience and know-how to play as the keeper (set-up, seeding the cards & execution of the Keepers role).[/q]

I've played as keeper and with the app. It bothered me that we seemed to spend most of our time looking at the app screen than at the board and figures.

So part way through the game I took hold of the app, took on the job of playing the keeper. Players told me what they wanted to do and I told them what the app told me, only now I had room to embellish. On my turns I would tell the others what was happening and again would try to add a bit of flair. I only gave the other players the app if they need to solve a puzzle. It felt more like the first edition from that moment on and yet I was able to play the game rather than just play the adversary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't miss being the Keeper, and most importantly, I don't miss having a Keeper. I much prefer a full coop boardgame where everyone's on the same site. if I want a Keeper telling a story (and not playing to destroy the party) I'd rather play the Call of Cthulhu RPG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I absolutely miss being the Keeper. Being a haunted house is awesome, 1st edition is just a better game (although I love 2nd too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

NEVER had fun as the keeper-- always felt like "I could completely and quickly slaughter the investigators at any point, but that wouldn't be any fun, and I spent SOOO LOOONG setting up the game we might as well play through."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:
Nope.

NEVER had fun as the keeper-- always felt like "I could completely and quickly slaughter the investigators at any point, but that wouldn't be any fun, and I spent SOOO LOOONG setting up the game we might as well play through."

This 100%. And if I wanted to be a Keeper who helped the players tell a story, I'd play CoC anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.