cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there is probably not a rule on this, so advice would be appreciated. Based on expansions and customs, I now have a healthy amount of bystanders. What is the correct way (or preferred way) to compile the deck. Take out a common for each variant ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the Scheme involves around a certain number of Bystanders, then I just shuffle all of them together and put them all in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I shuffle them all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also shuffle them all together for simplicity's sake even though that has created a pool with a very high probability of drawing a Special Bystander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
no rules or guidelines posted on this ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
I also shuffle them all together for simplicity's sake even though that has created a pool with a very high probability of drawing a Special Bystander.

Do you also include the Villains Bystanders? I find with both standard Bystander types, the deck gets relatively balanced.

To answer the OP... I have everything mixed in together, one huge pile of 103 Bystanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just shuffle them alla together. Just as with the wounds + grievous wounds and the sidekicks. Use it all unless scheme says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Unless I'm playing in a league or something that limits what bystanders are allowed, I play with everything mixed up - villains included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Unless I'm playing in a league or something that limits what bystanders are allowed, I play with everything mixed up - villains included.

I do this too, and if I happen to rescue a Bystander from an expansion not allowed in that particular league game, I just set that one aside and draw a new one. It saves me the hassle of sorting through pre-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also use all bystanders. Only restriction I use is that if I play with a certain expansion, Bystanders from other expansions are played as if they were normal bystanders with no special abilities. I just take a look at the small text on the cards which tell me from which expansion they are (small text on the bottom of the frontside of the card). This saves me a lot of sorting out cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
cad37 wrote:
no rules or guidelines posted on this ?

The Villains rulebook says to mix all of your bystanders together into one big stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As usual, the responses here are top rate. thanks to all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Just recently, as the bystander deck got bloated, I have started changing it up. I have a half dozen or more custom bystanders, and the Stan Lee card too. So I will keep the bystander stack at 40 (sometimes 45). That's 20 vanilla bystanders, and then additional ones that fit the scheme or the theme. I then use Stan Lee and one other thematic bystander or a vanilla one in the villain deck.

Always using Stan Lee is a our house rule to represent Stan's cameo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play with the Villains mat/starting hands/bystanders, but this is how I divided them:

regular bystanders from the base set + dark city bystanders + secret wars volume 1 bystanders in 1 stack

bystanders from villains + secret wars volume 2 bystanders + civil war bystanders in another stack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Laager
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mix them all, for sure...

but yeah feel free to experiment it does not hurt...

put ONLY special BYSTANDER or put them on top...

or make 2 piles and let player chooses

or remove the one you don't like...

or let the player draft 3 types

etc... the world is open
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've removed all but six normal bystanders. With all of the special bystanders, this keeps the stack a manageable size and keeps it closer to the original intended counts (from Dark City and Villains).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Rraahk wrote:
I've removed all but six normal bystanders. With all of the special bystanders, this keeps the stack a manageable size and keeps it closer to the original intended counts (from Dark City and Villains).

Except now you are almost guaranteed a special bystander. Fun. Not necessarily the balance as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a large amount of searching here on BGG and came up with this system. I keep my basic bystanders from the hero core set sorted out separately from the special bystanders from all the sets. The villain basic bystanders don't get to see the light of day. I pull all the specials, shuffle and take 12. I take the 30 basic and shuffle them with the 12 to get the 42 in the rules after dark city and the number that came with villains. Villains does say make one big stack, but I find that very unwieldy to stack and shuffle. Plus it nerfs schemes that care about the number in the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
ewsanner wrote:
Plus it nerfs schemes that care about the number in the stack.

I don't know that I've faced that scheme. Help me out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kayes
msg tools
Jemjar wrote:
Rraahk wrote:

Except now you are almost guaranteed a special bystander. Fun. Not necessarily the balance as intended.

Balance definitely seems to be the issue. In certain setups, you may only see a handful of Bystanders... so having all/mostly special Bystanders would be nice. In a game with, say, Jean and Black Widow, that'd probably be busted.

Until recently, I took all the Heroes-side Bystanders + the special Bystanders from Villains.

With the last few expansions adding 6 (or so?) specials each, the deck was starting to get a little big. That, plus the question of storage led me to separate them. The Villains box has all the Villains Bystanders, and Heroes has its own. I swapped 10 of the basics just to mix up the art a little bit, but mostly for giggles.

As I sleeve all my cards, the Bystander deck is getting too tall, too. I'm going to toy with having 5 or 10 fewer basics, or possibly putting 10 back in the deck after shuffling them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All Bystanders. All of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use all of them. It feels more thematic to me that way. If the heroes were fighting in New York, full of millions of people, what are the odds anyone they save would be able to help them in any meaningful way? Probably pretty slim, so when I rescue a special bystander it always feels very lucky, and is a neat story moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
ewsanner wrote:
Plus it nerfs schemes that care about the number in the stack.

I don't know that I've faced that scheme. Help me out?

I don't see how these could be nerfed, but these are all the schemes I found that depend on Bystanders at setup.

Midtown Bank Robbery
Setup: 8 Twists. 12 total Bystanders in the Villain Deck.
Special Rules: Each Villain gets +1 Attack for each Bystander it has.
Twist: Any Villain in the Bank captures 2 Bystanders. Then play the top card of the Villain Deck.
Evil Wins: When 8 Bystanders are carried away by escaping Villains.

Replace Earth's Leaders with Killbots
Setup: 5 Twists. 3 additional Twists next to this Scheme. 18 total Bystanders in the Villain Deck.
Special Rules: Bystanders in the Villain Deck count as Killbot Villains, with Attack equal to the number of Twists next to this Scheme.
Twist: Put the Twist next to this Scheme.
Evil Wins: If 5 "Killbots" escape.

Save Humanity
Setup: 8 Twists. 24 Bystanders in the Hero Deck. (1 player: 12 Bystanders in the Hero Deck)
Special Rules: You may spend 2 Recruit Points to rescue a Bystander from the HQ.
Twist: KO all Bystanders in the HQ. Then each player reveals an mb Hero or KOs a Bystander from their Victory Pile.
Evil Wins: When the number of Bystanders KO'd and/or carried off is 4 times the number of players.

Graduation at Xavier's X-Academy
Setup: 8 Twists. Stack 8 Bystanders next to this Plot as "Young Mutants."
Twist: Put a Bystander from next to this Plot into the Overrun Pile.
Good Wins: When there are 8 Bystanders in the Overrun Pile.

Infiltrate the Lair With Spies
Setup: 8 Twists, Stack 21 Bystanders next to this Plot as "Infiltrating Spies."
Twist: Put all Bystanders from the Lair into the Overrun pile. Then put a Bystander from next to this Plot into each Lair space under the Bridge, Streets, and Sewers.
Special Rules: When you recruit an Ally, kidnap any Bystander in that Lair space. When an Ally leaves the Lair in any other way, put any Bystander from that Lair space into the Overrun Pile.
Good Wins: When there are 12 Bystanders in the Overrun Pile.

Intergalactic Kree Nega-Bomb
Setup: 8 Twists. Make a face down 'Nega-Bomb Deck' of 6 Bystanders.
Twist: Shuffle this Twist into the Nega-Bomb Deck. Then reveal a random card from that deck. If it's a Bystander, rescue it. If it's a Twist, KO it, KO all Heroes from the HQ, and each player gains a Wound.
Evil Wins: When 16 non-grey Heroes are in the KO pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was pretty sure every scheme that deals with bystanders actually gets MORE difficult with a larger bystander stack, not less.

Ohhhh, there is that one where you need Bystanders equal to the number of scheme twists in order to fight the mastermind. In a 5 player game, sometimes we'd run out. But...that's one scheme out of what, 50?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.