Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Arbo
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I get confirmation on how a couple of rules work? I've come up with how I think it works, but it seems a little weird.

1) Suppose that you have the following Diplomatic Status: England-Habsburg Allied, England-Protestant Allied. Two English and two Protestant units are stacked in Munster, which is under Protestant control. Habsburgs move a stack of ten units from Amsterdam to Munster. The English stack does not manage to avoid battle; the Protestant stack does. What happens? Do the two allies fight a field battle?

2) Is there any game mechanism to ensure that Mandatory Events are played, or does it simply rely on player honesty? I doubt it will be a problem; I'm just used to games saying that you show your extra cards at the end, but the rule book doesn't seem to say it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Ed has adopted a new rule that prevents this sort of thing from happening. The short version is, you can't move into any space unless one of these two conditions applies:

A - You are allied with all units in the space (other than independent units).

B - You are at war with all units in the space (other than independent units).

You can read the full version of the rule on the "errata" page of Ed's website.

Oh, and for the record, even without this rule change, England couldn't have made an "avoid battle" roll in the situation you describe, because England and the Hapsburg are allies and thus there would have been no "battle" between the English and Hapsburg troops.

2) No, for this issue the game is on the honor system, but you could adopt a "show your held card" house rule if you wanted. In Twilight Struggle, if you hold an illegal card you are considered to have accidentally launched your missles and started a nuclear war; I wonder what the HIS equivalent would be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Arbo
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm confused on this bullet (from the errata):
. this is a space controlled by an enemy power and all units in the space are either from that enemy power or allied to them. When resolving this movement, treat the units already in the space as “enemy units” for all purposes. Adjacent units from a power with units in the space are also considered as enemy units and may intercept into the space if desired.

As for the second part...I don't know...suddenly causing another wave of Black Death? Enticing the Mongols for round 2? Or, for a really fun twist, Charles V accidentally launched all his missiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Habsburg1497 wrote:
As for the second part...I don't know...suddenly causing another wave of Black Death? Enticing the Mongols for round 2? Or, for a really fun twist, Charles V accidentally launched all his missiles?

Not sure about the first part, but Greg seemed to sum it up nicely.

As for the 2nd part, it seems to me you could reveal the pertinent information on the card without revealing the exact card. In Twilight Struggle, the bottom most part of the card says "Do not hold this card evar" - or something to that effect. You just reveal that portion to show your card doesn't have that text and can move on.

Same thing in HIS. All mandatory cards have the red bar across the top. Expose just enough of the card to show everyone that it is doesn't have the Red band. The only thing that might be exposed is the turn order it enters play, a slight portion of the CP value, and possibly a sliver of the card art. But by using your hom card to cover it up and slide down slowly, you can expose the info you need without revealing your held hands and ensure no one kept a mandatory card. If they did, then you can decide in a tribunal how to execute the wretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I completely forgot about that part of the rule. Guess I should have checked it first, huh?

It looks like you can end up fighting a battle against your own ally, if your ally is also allied with your enemy. You definitely would end up fighting the English troops, since the rule says you treat them as enemy units "for all purposes."

Oh, and I've got the answer to the other, much more important question: If you illegaly hold a mandatory event, all of Europe converts to Buddhism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Arbo
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing to double check on. If Luther or Calvin (while leader) is excommunicated, the Protestant player does not suffer any penalty to his card draw, correct? The two can only be excommunicated in their role as reformers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Protestant doesn't have a bonus to his card draw because of Luther or Calvin...snd anyway the excommunicatiuon would end before the drawing of cards. But yes, it only affects them as reformers and debaters: as does death or expulsion from Geneva.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.