United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started in on Gluttony, and looking at the figure I can't wrap my brain around getting the tones they show in the pictures.

I was thinking of starting with a light grey and working in maybe red & purple washes to get the hues right, but I don't want to start it off on the wrong foot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You should check out Rob Oren's Live Paining videos on youtube, he's working on figures from The Others:

Maybe these will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I started watching those but every time I fast forward and start watching, its just him talking to the people commenting on his feed lol.

I need to sit and filter through them more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
United States
Byron Center
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He does ramble a bit... and he does talk a lot. I think this is his therapy sessions but he does a solid job painting and he's a pretty nice guy too. I think of him as the Bob Ross of miniature painting... only with Hulk Hogan's arms. Guy could seriously crush some skulls!

He has done a great job with painting the acolytes and the abominations... he is getting ready to start a big push on the avatars as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I watched some of the first video, and the way he does it is pretty interesting and fairly quick. He coats the whole model with a light tone for the flesh. He then does washes of different colors for each area (maybe green for the arms, red for the body, black for the tail, etc.). Whatever matches the art. At this point, it doesn't look very good, because the colors are way too intense and look very blocked out. He then does a very heavy dry brush over the whole thing with the original flesh tone. This unifies the model, and makes the colored wash areas all match up with each other, just with different color tones. Definitely a good way to do it if you're trying to get through everything quickly.

Another way to look at the colors for most of these, though, is that many of them are a very pale flesh color. They have lots of pink/purple/grey and other tones, but they are primarily that light flesh (at least from what I can remember, I don't have the game in hand yet). If you start with that (maybe something more white than pink), you can then add in little bits of red/grey/purple/etc to that flesh color, and paint different areas with those slightly tinted versions of the base color. Then if you wash everything with one color, you'll still get those variations from area to area.

This is a game I'm really excited to start painting, I just wish they would go ahead and send it to me already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb

This is what I was trying to figure out on colors.

I'm thinking a light grey basecoat with a red wash, then maybe go back over it with a purple wash. Not for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg MN
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest Kickstarter update shows an Army Painter paint set with color palette specific to The Others. The end of that update says, "During the next few weeks we will be releasing step-by-step guides to painting miniatures from The Others, check our the guides on our website at www.TheArmyPainter.com"

I have no experience with Army Painter paints or their other istructional guides, but it may be worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
ismist wrote:
The latest Kickstarter update shows an Army Painter paint set with color palette specific to The Others. The end of that update says, "During the next few weeks we will be releasing step-by-step guides to painting miniatures from The Others, check our the guides on our website at www.TheArmyPainter.com"

I have no experience with Army Painter paints or their other istructional guides, but it may be worth checking out.

I saw that... sounds interesting knowing that I can get it right, but I have to wait a few weeks.

What to do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Hillean wrote:

This is what I was trying to figure out on colors.

I'm thinking a light grey basecoat with a red wash, then maybe go back over it with a purple wash. Not for sure

To me, this looks like a very light flesh tone, not actually that different than a pale human skin tone. I'd start with a super light flesh color that doesn't have much orange, one that is mostly pink. From there, a very watered down red wash, and then a bit of a purple wash just in the shadowed areas. The fleshy part of the tentacles would get one or two full strength red washes. You could also use a bit of watered down purple mixed with watered down black wash for some of the lower parts of the body, to give it more shadows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Piper
United States
West Park
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost finished up Greed, actually. I painted him a mid-flesh tone and used a 'white-wash' over it. I'll eventually post a picture when I get off of work.

I plan on doing Gluttony a similar style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Piper
United States
West Park
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
I've done two so far and they do need a bit of tinkering on a few areas to get it just right, but that what I have to show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good! Its not hard to tell how much effort you're putting into these, keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man you are going to need really good primers for the Faith characters. They are detailed but it's really thin. I can see people overprime easily. DO NOT USE 2X PRIMERS ON THE SMALLER FIGURES. It will get into the detail and it will be lost. Can't use cheap primers here either. I also recommend spay primers over painted primers. Due to decreased surface area of each droplet to airin the cracks and crevices paint will aggrigate in the details.

Edit:. Paint the miniature with really dilute paints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://m.facebook.com/RoglandPaintingArtist/photos/?tab=alb...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.