Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a solo play through to try and wrap my head around this one. I'm more familiar with games where money is the winning condition, and I know this is a variation of GM&O - a game I have not played.

Questions:

1) I'm assuming it costs $3.00 to place in your home city, correct?
2) If I buy presidents share and build in 5 cities and connect to no other color track, I get 6 points, correct? 1 VP per city, 1 VP for starting.

Thoughts:

1) Trying to figure out motivation to buy secondary share. Only the president can't expand that company, and during a dividend round, ALL shares get $4.00, so I would think I'm more motivated to simply buy a different president's share (assuming they're available).

I suppose if I want dividends, I would accelerate things by buying a secondary share, and then spending another action on my next turn to buy a secondary share again.

2) I'm trying to figure out the value of the president's share. As the 4th player in a 4 player game, bidding $21 for presidents share and then laying 7 cubes (assuming I have a new color available than what's laid already) seems reasonable b/c I can get LOTS of VP's.... I have to think about this in a real game though.

3) I have to think about passing benefits. I read Clearclaw's review of GM&O, and he mentions THAT game (which is essentially a variant) is all about timing with tight decisions. I have to explore more with real players....

Thoughts welcome, as well as strategy ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
Did a solo play through to try and wrap my head around this one. I'm more familiar with games where money is the winning condition, and I know this is a variation of GM&O - a game I have not played.

Questions:

1) I'm assuming it costs $3.00 to place in your home city, correct?
2) If I buy presidents share and build in 5 cities and connect to no other color track, I get 6 points, correct? 1 VP per city, 1 VP for starting.

Correct in both cases.

Quote:

Thoughts:

1) Trying to figure out motivation to buy secondary share. Only the president can't expand that company, and during a dividend round, ALL shares get $4.00, so I would think I'm more motivated to simply buy a different president's share (assuming they're available).

1. Interest in having dividends paid.
2. Different color cubes being used in the two cases.
3. Different part of the map being used in the two cases.
4. You are not buying a secondary share or a president's share. You are putting it up for auction. Why are you assuming that you're going to win the auction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really want to be in a position where passing is good for you. If you're in the lead, it's sometimes the best thing you can do - let others make the decisions.

As for the values, always keep in mind how many points you're getting and how many dollars you are paying per point. It's that easy. Also factor in opportunity costs and the scores of other players, and you're doing fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.