Subject: Nice System, but not a fan of the theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*Warning: This post contains instances of highly personal tastes and preferences. I really don't care if you disagree with me.*

Apparently I'm in a very small minority of gamers that is not a big fan of the bloody, gory, horror genre. I just watched one of the reviews and the game looks phenomenal from a system perspective. I really like the mechanisms they used for things like corruption, combat, health, etc...

What I can't get over though is the theme. Quite simply, I'm not into this variety of horror and can't bring myself to buy or play such a creepy looking game. This is not an indictment of the game or it's creators. Perhaps more of a lament that I can't get past this aspect and will therefore miss out on what looks to be some really excellent gameplay.

That said, perhaps CMON could leverage the gameplay system into another theme (dungeon crawl or generic military-style commando raid themes come to mind). I could see this system working extremely well in a fantasy setting and would definitely be on board for such a game.

I'll also second the final thoughts of the reviewer I watched in that the 1 vs. all dynamic is a bit of a turn off, mostly because I don't have a regular gaming group with whom to play such games. Some modest tweaks to make this a fully co-op system with an automated enemy would make this a much more attractive option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a bit ironic since I would venture to guess that most backers backed due to the theme, figuring it would be light in mechanics similar to Zombicide...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
Some modest tweaks to make this a fully co-op system with an automated enemy would make this a much more attractive option.

This would be cool if achievable, but the interrupt-heavy turn structure would make this inherently more difficult than in something like Descent.

Edit: nothing at all wrong with being put off by the theme either. I tend to dislike the macho tendencies that lead people think it's fine to dislike farming or trading in the Mediterranean, but somehow weak to dislike horror or gore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
*Warning: This post contains instances of highly personal tastes and preferences. I really don't care if you disagree with me.*

Then why post to a public forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the aesthetic could be creepier. It seems to pull back from going all-out, with the clean sci-fi locations, gear, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I'm the opposite for this game, I didn't care about the gameplay, when I saw the miniatures I knew I was going to buy this (and now, seeing the game play, I am also very excited to play it). I don't typically like bloody horror, but this one isn't so much blood and guts as it is creepy nightmare food.

I find it refreshing that there are so many games with different themes out today. There are certainly games that sound interesting in genres I otherwise hate, but I'm glad there are so many different options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
I think that the aesthetic could be creepier. It seems to pull back from going all-out, with the clean sci-fi locations, gear, etc.

This is actually what I like about the game. If it was filled with blood and guts, I wouldn't be nearly as interested. Some of us really like horror, but not gore, and this game is exactly that. I also enjoy that it's not just a bunch of monsters. Some of them are monsters of course, but a lot of the evil still looks very much like it was once human, which in my opinion makes it even creepier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
Snardo wrote:

Then why post to a public forum?

I think it was mostly just to log my thoughts in the event that CMON might be lurking about. The disclaimer at the beginning was mostly tongue in cheek but also there to try to avoid the inevitable response of "are you crazy? this is the best game ever and here's why you HAVE to buy it right NOW!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hooked by the theme - Hellboy mixed with Hellraiser. If horror and 1 vs many games are not your thing than I would stay away from this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Lang said that he saw some of the art and went "I have to make a game out of this" so the theme literally made the game in this case. If I'm not mistaken, something similar happened with Scythe, so there might be a trend forming here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully this will have further expansions down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Brian T wrote:
Hopefully this will have further expansions down the road.

Game seems extremely complete if you take all the team boxes into account. It's like a 2 year FFG cycle all at once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just replace the monsters with My Little Pony dolls and the characters with Bratz dolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine B
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't share it I can understand your perspective. For the same reason it can be hard to get people to play Chaos in the Old World, one of my favourites.

The 'corruption' mechanic seems married to the theme, though. Something that you can take voluntarily, and that your enemy can also inflict on you, that empowers you but will damage if you have too much? I can't think of another way to retheme it but maybe I'm not imaginative enough. Maybe adrenaline or some kind of combat drug but that doesn't work with the enemy attacking you with it part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
That's a bit ironic since I would venture to guess that most backers backed due to the theme, figuring it would be light in mechanics similar to Zombicide...

-shnar

Actually I did exactly the opposite, a huge fan of Barker's "Books of Blood"/"Hellraiser" (heavy inspiration of The Others IMO) since the 90s I was dragged into the KS by the theme and then STAYED when I had my first glimpse of the mechanics (well also the name of Mr Lang influenced me TBH)

At the time there was NO WAY I would have invested so much money if the game part hadn't been interesting (the minis/theme wouldn't have been enough, far from it), so you can say I backed because of the mechanics in the end :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was attracted very much to the theme (Barkeresque), and the designer pedigree (Lang).

My advice? Buy another game with a more pedestrian theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I liked the theme.
The game itself appeared so-so for my tastes.

I considered backing it, but I am being VERY picky about what I back these days.

If I hear good things about it later after it's released, I might pick up a copy when it is on sale somewhere.

But by all means, feel free not to buy anything that doesn't appeal to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky Fletcher
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can see Eric Lang, or Coolminiornot, using the gameplay for other themes.

The new Arcadia Quest Inferno has a shared system with the corruption mechanic, it's damnation system. They certainly aren't exactly the same, but do use the idea of getting stronger at risk of future pain and death.

So I totally could see this being used with something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. I backed and received my pledge but everything is still sitting in the box unopened. I think CMON has brainwashed me into backing their projects w/out a second thought just so I don't miss out on exclusives (still kicking myself for passing over Arcadia Quest and Blood Rage). But honestly I still scratching my head on this one wondering what to do. Not a huge fan of the horror/demonic theme and usually can never get an all vs one to the table unless I play as the one.

Most likely this will be making its way to the marketplace or eBay. I think I might have just broken CMON's hold over me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you don't like the main theme of the game (horror) and wish it were fantasy and you don't like the main gameplay mechanism (one vs. many) and wish it were co-op. That about right?

Sounds like you want an entirely different game then.

Luckily for you, CMoN is already making it (Massive Darkness) as is Ares/Gremlin (Sword and Sorcery). A number of companies already have the game you're describing: Privateer Press (The Undercity), WotC (DnD Adventure Games), MegaCon Games (Myth) and Games Workshop (Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower). Also, if you don't mind app-driven games, Fantasy Flight has your back (Descent with Road to Legend app). If you're cool with a sci-fi theme, there are even more possibilities: Galaxy Defenders, Space Cadets: Away Missions, Gears of War. I left off the upcoming Doom game since it's probably closer to horror than sci-fi. Heck, there's even a weird west themed one: Shadows of Brimstone, though that one might be treading back into the horror theme too.

Basically, it's a great time to be a co-op dungeon crawler fan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Not playing a game when you like the mechanisms but don't like the theme seems silly to me. It's only a theme. What's the big deal?

Also, this isn't really a pre-existing genre. I can't think of another game with this theme. It's certainly not conventional horror, as it draws on Christian themes rather than common tropes such as Lovecraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
It's certainly not conventional horror, as it draws on Christian themes rather than common tropes such as Lovecraft.

It reminds me a lot of the dark fantasy worlds conjured by Clive Barker, who I assume it draws its inspiration from. Works such as Cabal, Hellbound Heart, and The Great and Secret Show.

Just to pick you up on the Lovecraft tropes thing - I don't actually believe there has been a game that successfully and faithfully recreates Lovecraftian worlds. The Arkham Horrors and Mansions of Madness, whilst debatably good games in there own right, seem to be a seperate entity from the worlds created by the legendary author, in a similar way Bladerunner is only a vaguely spiritual successor to PKD's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

"Lovecraft tropes", as you put it, are more tropes invented by, and for, the board gaming community and bare little resemblance to the subject matter. Unfortunately, the games that are now flooding the market and turning people off to the theme are merely burlesques of the original material, and this watering down has led to fatigue in the community. There is more to Lovecraft than Cthulhu, after all.

A game that truly instilled the sense of helplessness; of the dark things scratching behind the curtain of reality and being an insignificant spec in the eye of a malevolent or indifferent god, will feel like an original game. If that game is ever made remains to be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
I could see this system working extremely well in a fantasy setting and would definitely be on board for such a game.

Erm... this IS a fantasy setting isn't it? It's not real-life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orabbi wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I backed and received my pledge but everything is still sitting in the box unopened. I think CMON has brainwashed me into backing their projects w/out a second thought just so I don't miss out on exclusives (still kicking myself for passing over Arcadia Quest and Blood Rage). But honestly I still scratching my head on this one wondering what to do. Not a huge fan of the horror/demonic theme and usually can never get an all vs one to the table unless I play as the one.

Most likely this will be making its way to the marketplace or eBay. I think I might have just broken CMON's hold over me.

Can I haz your stuff pleaz? :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I read comments during the KS about the theme, including using it with a different theme, so don't sweat it. Eric Lang's pretty prolific with his game designs, and you'll probably find one you enjoy.

So... Anybody have a kid in the SF Bay Area who's want my copy of Eric Lang's Dragonball Z?? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.