$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Can this be played with the 3 dice per defender rule? (No spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per title, our play group played hundreds of games with the 3 dice for the defender (Risiko! version), can we play it like this or it will break the game?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 937714. Kajo
  • 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (4) + (6) + (6) =
  • Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:21 pm
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that variant still using the defender wins ties rules?

The Risk clone I used to play when I was a kid had that. I hated it. It favors defense too much, which in turn favors turtling, which leads to long boring games. That version also had a rule that after conquering a territory you couldn't move your whole pile of troops there, just three max, which was yet another bonus for defenders.

If you ask me, I think it's a really bad idea. But also, there's a few effects that change dice values (like missiles). Giving defenders an extra die will change the balance of those effects, and it might break it.

On the other hand, this is a game where you'll be breaking it anyway by placing scars in weird places and having the map be completely unbalanced after a few plays, and you'll just learn to live with that. So if you really like to play with the three dice defender, then go ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nachof wrote:
Is that variant still using the defender wins ties rules?

Yes, but you can move all your stack

nachof wrote:
If you ask me, I think it's a really bad idea. But also, there's a few effects that change dice values (like missiles). Giving defenders an extra die will change the balance of those effects, and it might break it.

I was thinking about this kind of things.

Thanks for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be ok, if there was a different bonus for the attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are potential changes to the rules for attacking and defending. My strongest suggestion is play the game as it was intended with no house rules. House rules, in general for most games, end up weakening the game. That effect is amplified further for legacy games where the rules change unexpectedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.