Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"4. never release a cycle like Mumbad again. This has actually caused a large drop in our local game store's netrunner gaming population."

This was given in a recent thread as something FFG could do to increase the player population. I'm curious to hear if others echo this sentiment.

I bought every pack up to Data and Destiny, but I only got Salsette Island for Sports Hopper. I know that I personally feel much more excited by Flashpoint than Mumbad, and I want to believe it's more than just theme. I'm unable, however, to put my finger on why I feel this way.

Are there others who feel that the Mumbad cycle is mechanically inferior to the previous ones? Why or why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
It isn't inferior, but it has annoying cards like Museum in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, suspect the problem the person had was cards that are seemingly OP, and cause stagnation in archetypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clyde probably hit the nail on the head. People were seemingly upset about the stagnation of the archetypes in the meta.

Even though it was not actually a problem. There was plenty of diversity at the top level, tournament winning decks. The main issue was that most middling to upper level players tended toward IG Museum for a long time and that the deck isn't particularly fun to play against.

People tend to forget that, historically, this is the same "problem" over and over again. Noise, Andy, Kate all had their extended periods of dominance. NEH, RP, EtF all had their periods of dominance.

So many people were complaining about only ever seeing Calimsha Kate prior to the Mumbad cycle, threatening to leave the game forever, etc (never mind that Kate wasn't the winning deck at Worlds). Then when Mumbad hit, the meta shifted to Whizzard / Anarch and people were complaining again.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally feel like Mumbad was subpar compared to other cycles. It has absolutely nothing to do with theme if someone goes there.

It's just that I can't shake the feeling that the cards were not tested right and they were either worthless or overpowered. Doesn't take a genius to see why this is not good for a living game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards aren't inferior, but some of the new mechanics they introduced turned away a lot of players. Museum of History in the IG prison deck turned games into slow shuffles (literally, as the corporation player would often need to shuffle his/her deck at least once every turn). Then FFG introduced Bio-Ethics Association, which could cause death to cautious runners, which is one of the strategies against Jinteki.

My regional lost 30 players (59 compared to 89 the previous year), and before the tournament we were all trading tips on beating IG.

We didn't have the same reaction to Noise, Whizzard, Kate or any other deck or archetype. FFG has some work to do to rebuild its fan base. I'm in for the long haul, but I don't know whether they can bring back defectors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't describe it as inferior, but the fact some signature cards (Museum of History and Mumba Temple in particular) quickly found their way to being made unique or placed on the MWL 2.0 list indicated that play testing was incomplete and/or rushed.

I liked many of the ideas the cycle tried to enact, but then I think about cards like:

which just seem so unattractive it makes you wonder what the design team was thinking when they included cards like such as these. I suppose a small portion of ANR cards will always be "crappy" (until some other card is released that makes a miraculous combo). I don't think that Mumbad had more crappy cards than previous cycles, but I really haven't counted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
t looking at the set as a whole for the Corp there are two ok ice, one neutral agenda, one useful character and three assets one of which has already been nerfed. For the runner they have one program, one event and one piece of hardware I would use. All the other cards are meh or worse. I think the other thing that bothered people was these cards you could have six of, none were very good and since they gave you six you could have gotten two different cards instead of that. The next cycle is looking better in everyway. So yeah looking on the cycle overall I can see why people checked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
They charged more for it too. It's not like that likely enticed anyone into playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
mcloud357 wrote:
All the other cards are meh or worse.

I don't agree at all. The cycle has a very high power level, just on the Corp side you have a lot of standouts:

Advanced Assembly Lines
Jeeves
Ravana 1.0
Lateral Growth
Magnet
Product Recall (Nerfed by Museum errata)
Palana Foods
Bio-Ethics Association
Heritage Commitee (Nerfed by Mumbad City Hall errata)
Voter Intimidation
Mumbad City Grid
Aryabhata Tech
Salem's Hospitality
EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION
Commercial Bankers Group
MUMBAD CITY HALL
Mumbad Construction Co
Zealous Judge
Executive Search Film (Nerfed by Museum errata)
Indian Union Stock Exchange
CONSULTING VISIT
CORPORATE SALES TEAM
MUSEUM OF HISTORY
Cobra
Vanilla
Localized Product Line
Mumbad Virtual Tour

And there's plenty of powerful, second-tier stuff like Political Dealings that is just waiting for its day in the sun. Really, it has been a very poweful cycle and nobody abandoned the game because there were not enough good cards on it.

If there's a problem with Mumbad, is that it galvanized a very polarized metagame. Variety suffered because it was difficult to build decks without being brutalized by someone in the metagame. The amount of decks that could beat both AstroBiotics and Genomics could be counted with a single hand, for example.

Things are much better now thanks to the Museum/Mumbad City Hall nerfs, the Astroscript limit and some of the most oppresive Runner cards going to the MWL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mumbad had the Public agendas in it, ergo it's the best cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PMAvers wrote:
Mumbad had the Public agendas in it, ergo it's the best cycle.

Er... with the exception of "New Construction", public agendas were from the SanSan cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
SRL ratings: Elo, TrueSkill, Stang (recency 3/legacy). Stang (simple) has me at 34 ... I have recently concluded that I am not a fan of the Simple rating.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with Merger, though. Combined with AstroScript's errata, it's the clearest possible signal from FFG (or at least Damon) that the ubiquity of NBN fast advance is a thing of the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.