Hide
11 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » General

Subject: OL Threat tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Galli
msg tools
Hi guys, played the first RTL dungeon yesterday and i really enjoyed it (playing as OL).
Btw it seemed to me that i was getting too much threat tokens. I mean...

- At the start of my turn (Overlord), i get 4 tokens (1 for every hero)
- I draw 2 cards and discard down to 8
- Every card that i discard grants me some more threat tokens

Am i right? Is this balanced?
I reached dungeon lvl 2 with all the tokens provided in the box, in addition "Doom" and "Hordes of Things" powers were in play...
Do those powers stay in play during the others level of the dungeon?
Do OL deck needs to be shuffled between one level and the other, or it just stays as it is until it's empty granting me 3 conquest points?

Last question is about movement from Tamalir to a glyph. Can a hero choose the run action for that? For example, yesterday "Steelhorn" in Tamalir spent 1 point to move from tamalir to the dungeon and then completed his run before attacking an enemy as his ability let him do that

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Razinar wrote:
Hi guys, played the first RTL dungeon yesterday and i really enjoyed it (playing as OL).
Btw it seemed to me that i was getting too much threat tokens. I mean...

- At the start of my turn (Overlord), i get 4 tokens (1 for every hero)
- I draw 2 cards and discard down to 8
- Every card that i discard grants me some more threat tokens

Am i right? Is this balanced?

You're right. And it is balanced. Do not forget to turn your spawn marker after spawning. You will have to turn it face up to be able to spawn again, which will cost you 15 TT.

Quote:
I reached dungeon lvl 2 with all the tokens provided in the box, in addition "Doom" and "Hordes of Things" powers were in play...
Do those powers stay in play during the others level of the dungeon?

Yes, those powers stay in play during the other levels of the dungeon (but in copper you restricted to two in a given dungeon). However, it is impossible to have "all the tokens provided in the box". Was that included the "fivers" (the ones that represent 5 single TT)? FYI: when you "sell" an overlord card for threat, you receive the lower right number of TT. The lower left number is what you have to pay to use it.

Quote:
Do OL deck needs to be shuffled between one level and the other, or it just stays as it is until it's empty granting me 3 conquest points?

It stays as it is. You shuffle it once, at the start of the dungeon.

Quote:
Last question is about movement from Tamalir to a glyph. Can a hero choose the run action for that? For example, yesterday "Steelhorn" in Tamalir spent 1 point to move from tamalir to the dungeon and then completed his run before attacking an enemy as his ability let him do that

I would think so, yes.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jan, is right on with a lot of his answers, and I think he has a great grasp of the rules.

This is very common for newer players to play VERY slow and cautiously. It would baffle my mind to see that you have ALL of the threat tokens in addition to DOOM! and Hordes of the Things. For this to happen that would be 38 threat alone, plus the amount you paid throughout the level for spawns, flipping the eyes to "open" after you have spawned, and any other trap or Event card. Even so, all the threat tokens is likely more than 50 threat. So at the very minimum you would have had to gained at the very minimum 98 threat, and that isn't including the other items that I mentioned. 98 divided by 4 is 24.5 turns. Drawing 2 cards per turn after your initial 3 cards would be a total of 51 cards, which would exhaust the deck in the first dungeon.

I see this as a possible outcome, especially for first time players, it is highly unlikely that this is what actually happened within the actual rules. My guess is that you guys are likely not playing the rules (on accident) to some aspect, or your hero team is one of the worst I have seen. What is the CT score at this point? Which level are you on (some are more difficult than others)? Does your hero team know they don't have to do all three levels? Have they read this thread on Blitzing?

Art of the Blitz-langeweile

I would check this out to help you out.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18240828#18240828

A lot of us more experienced players have definitely made those mistakes along the lines, especially at first. I remember the first time we played, not knowing the flip the eyes open so you can spawn for 15 threat. Don't feel too shy to ask questions along the way.

I would suggest that all your players read the Road to Legend rules as well as the FAQ. I know it is long and tedious, but you guys will be able to help each other out, as it is near impossible to have everything memorized. I usually keep a digital copy on hand with me at all times (phone) to be able to do a quick search and find for questions that pop up from time to time.

Most questions asked on these boards can get answered in a timely manner (within 24 hours). Most of the times, I try to not interject and wait for others to chime in.

TLDR:

Jan is awesome and knows the rules. You guys aren't likely playing by the rules, or your hero team sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have that many threat and aren't spending it you are not playing the OL as intended. Remember.. the OL is out for BLOOD. this is not a friendly RPG where you are telling a story. This is evil overlord trying to kill the invading heroes who are set on stopping his evil machinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

duhtch wrote:
Jan is awesome and knows the rules.

modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Galli
msg tools
Thank you for your answers. Btw yes it's the first time playing for all of us and We played correctly. First turn heroes moved from tamalir to a dungeon. First level: dragon's lair or something like that, They had to fight against flametongue. I spent just few threat tokens to play a trap, 2 dodge card, the 2 Powers that i Said before and a spawn card. It took a Lot to defeat flametongue, and i killed 2 of them on the first level. At The end of second level it's something like 15 Cp for me and 10 for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razinar wrote:
Thank you for your answers. Btw yes it's the first time playing for all of us and We played correctly. First turn heroes moved from tamalir to a dungeon. First level: dragon's lair or something like that, They had to fight against flametongue. I spent just few threat tokens to play a trap, 2 dodge card, the 2 Powers that i Said before and a spawn card. It took a Lot to defeat flametongue, and i killed 2 of them on the first level. At The end of second level it's something like 15 Cp for me and 10 for them

?

The CP statistic sounds reasonable enough. However, the typical cost to play power cards is 20 (twenty!) threat. How on earth did you manage to get 40 threat to play the two power cards, besides what you spent on spawning, resetting the spawn marker and all that? And still end up with all the threat tokens in the game? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Galli
msg tools
I was wrong, Hordes of things was played during the first level, While doom during the second one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Razinar wrote:
I was wrong, Hordes of things was played during the first level, While doom during the second one

The question still stands. It's just doesn't seem possible to have that many threat. How many turns did you play per dungeon? Give or take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Galli
msg tools
I think that we played at least 10 turns for the first level

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's a lot of turns, but not excessive for a difficult dungeon. So you received about 40 'regular' threat of which you spent 18 for "Hordes of the things", which leaves 22. You started with three OL cards, received two each turn so ended up with 23 cards. When selling OL cards the average profit is 2 or 3 threat ("Danger" -10- and Power Cards -5- are exceptions). So if you sold all cards but "Hordes of the Things" that would amount to roughly 55 + 20 = 75 threat.

But in ten turns you probably used a lot of your OL cards in stead of selling them, forcing you to spend threat in stead of receiving it. On top of that you probably spawned at least two times, the second (and each subsequent) time costing you another 15 threat just to turn the Spawn marker (actually, how many times did you spawn in that first level?).

So when all things really, really went your way, you should've ended up with about 30 threat, assuming you were really hot on selling in stead of using your cards. That's hardly all the threat in the game.

Are you sure you didn't mix up the cost and discard values of the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.