Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya all,

I've recently made a limited edition hand-made run of a card game and then made it available afterwards on Drive Thru Cards.

The limited handmade run was self-funded and has sold out, but mostly to friends, family, playtesters and previous customers of my previous Reiver Games publishing company.

The Drive Thru Cards has been selling very slowly and is too expensive really to ship to the UK (and probably Europe) so there's no way to get the game in the UK at the moment.

I'm vaguely considering doing a KickStarter campaign to make another hand-made run, but a larger one this time. I'm looking to make 100-120 copies again all by hand (make the boxes, cut out the cards, do the art myself). It turns out making the physical games is the fun bit for me, so I don't want to get a professional run of thousands of copies done, and with only a small number of copies I can't afford much in the way of advertising, or an artist to make the artwork for me.

So here's the question: Would you considering backing a small hand-made game on KickStarter (it would be professionally printed and laminated, then cut out and assembled by hand), or does it have to be professional quality for you to consider KickStarting something?

Poll
Would you consider backing a hand-made game on KickStarter, with designer quality art?
Yes, KickStarter is for supporting the little guy
No, I want my KickStarted games to be full publisher quality
      71 answers
Poll created by CaptainJax

I'd appreciate your input!

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben T

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would consider it, but I don't know that Kickstarter is the right venue for your game. It really seems more like a tool to scale a game from the "small hand made run" to "professional production," rather than a way to fund the former. I'm sure there are other tools that would fit that, but the risk with Kickstarter would be that you either end up with a tiny number of orders and don't reach a goal, or you end up way more orders than you could ever possibly make yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benandorf wrote:
I would consider it, but I don't know that Kickstarter is the right venue for your game. It really seems more like a tool to scale a game from the "small hand made run" to "professional production," rather than a way to fund the former. I'm sure there are other tools that would fit that, but the risk with Kickstarter would be that you either end up with a tiny number of orders and don't reach a goal, or you end up way more orders than you could ever possibly make yourself.

He could limit the number of allowed pledges so that it can't surpass the number he could make. I saw that done with a puzzle book that's on KS now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
Benandorf wrote:

He could limit the number of allowed pledges so that it can't surpass the number he could make. I saw that done with a puzzle book that's on KS now

That was exactly my plan :-)

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Bolger
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so long as you're up front about it to your backers, it's fine. The folks I see most upset with KS projects are ones who expect one thing and get another. If you pledge money to back a small hand-made game, and know it's a small hand-made game, no issue. If you pledge money to impressive graphics and miniatures and a gigantic mounted map and a million add-ons and what comes in the mail is a small hand-made game, you'll likely be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
johnhawkwood2010 wrote:
I think so long as you're up front about it to your backers, it's fine. The folks I see most upset with KS projects are ones who expect one thing and get another. If you pledge money to back a small hand-made game, and know it's a small hand-made game, no issue. If you pledge money to impressive graphics and miniatures and a gigantic mounted map and a million add-ons and what comes in the mail is a small hand-made game, you'll likely be disappointed.

I can't argue with that! I like to think I've always been quite upfront and honest in my previous publishing efforts.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, where's "bacon" as a choice!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Ugh, where's "bacon" as a choice!?

It's a poor poll. I admit I'm not perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.