A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Game of Thrones LCG or Board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lach
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thinking about getting into one GoT game option. I know that it is probably difficult/wrong to try to compare the LCG vs the board game. I'm comfortable going the LCG route or the board game route on this. The board game clearly seems the much longer game and is probably better with more players while the LCG looks to be a shorter game option that can be with 2 - 4 or maybe more if more core sets are added. So, I understand those minimum types of differences (at least I think I do and have this much "right"). If those issues don't matter, which might provide the more complete GoT experience, theme, etc.. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm not an expert at either version of the game, but I did notice a big difference between the two. The board game captured the military planning feel that you see in the real story as well as the building of alliances. This part is really cool to be doing that yourself with a map in front of you. I didn't enjoy the actual battles that much in the board game. That felt just like a game and not like a real Game of Thrones battle. On the flip side, the card game gave me the authentic feel of the battles.

I did not keep my board game (sort of regret that now that the books and TV show are so popular and I'm more into it these days). But I know that the board game was hard to play. I only enjoyed it with five, there was a lot to teach and the games were long. Too long for my taste. But the card game is short and sweet and that's really how I like my games when they pack this much punch. The board game's atmosphere felt bigger. How can it not when you actually have to negotiate with real people?

I'm just sharing what my experiences with both were like. I'm not trying to persuade you either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is possible to play the LCG with more than 4 people, I wouldn't recommend it -- way too long, and too chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Go with LCG, board game demands 6 players and lots of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have adored both of these games since the first edition of both. I own the second edition of the card game, but have not purchased the second edition of the board game. Here's why: For me, I can never get enough people AND enough time simultaneously to play the board game. My weekly game night is not long enough to teach and play the board game, so it would never get played.

The card game on the other hand is shorter, but that is not why I chose it over the board game. My enjoyment from the LCG is mostly from making the decks. I have spent far more hours building and testing decks than actually playing these decks. But I have eight, (mostly) balanced, single-faction decks that I can use to teach people the game and get an hour's worth of enjoyment per sitting.

I would recommend the card game over the board game if you like the deck-building behind-the-scenes aspect of the game. It did cost more than double the board game to get those 8 decks balanced, but I feel like it has paid for itself in the time I've enjoyed creating the decks, not to mention teaching and playing the game.

As far as getting the "feel" of the story, I find both do a good job, but there is far more material in the LCG to pull from. There are cool synergies and abilities in the cards that, if you know the story, you appreciate. On the other hand, while the LCG multiplayer does a great job of forcing temporary alliances, but the Board Game is built upon temporary alliances. The board game really feels more like a war game with a lot of extras (bidding mechanics, card play, alliances, theme, etc).

I think I'm done rambling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija
Croatia
flag msg tools
mb
They are both absolutely great games, thematically, mechanically and also very fun. Which one will you prefer playing will depend on your preferences: the board game is more about negotiating and playing your opponents, while the card game is more about building decks and detailed tactics during the game.

But I think it's more important to look at how / when / how much you'll be able to play them in the first place.

The board game is a huge game, requiring a couple of hours (can go up to 4-5 for first couple of times or with new players) and is definitely not a game you'll casually grab off the shelf and play.
Also, you always need 6 players. Well, with 5 is also not terrible but with anything less than that it isn't that much fun (and very unbalanced because those players that are closer to the empty regions have an advantage).
And you'll need at least 30-45min to explain the game to new players, especially if they're not experienced players.

So, unless you have a very dedicated group of 6 players, chances are you'll play this game maybe a couple of times a year.

The card game is a very different beast. It's absolutely great as a 2-player game (for couples also, I play it with my girlfriend regularly) and with 3 or 4 players is also very fun (and different from the 2 player game). I haven't tried with more players than that but I hear it isn't much fun. Usually the games last about 1 hour (2 hours for 4 players), but keep in mind you'll need to prepare some decks in advance if you just want to invite friends over to play (there are some out-of-the-box options in the core set for that).

It is not a (much) lighter game than the board game - although the game mechanics are pretty simple, the amount of different cards you have to know and keep track of is challenging, at least for the first 10-15 games.
But keep in mind this is an LCG, meaning one core set is just the beginning it is fun to play with one core but if you like it you'll probably go and start buying more chapter packs or another core. This can open a virtually endless amount of deckbuilding options that can give you hours and weeks and months of fun.

TL;DR if you want a huge game for 6 players that you'll play once a month, and want to buy one box and be done with it, get the board game. if you want something for 2 players (but also 3-4) that you can play daily and maybe get involved deeper in the game with new cards, building decks and the community, get the LCG.

Personally, I prefer the LCG these days as it is a much deeper strategic and tactical experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Foley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chabster wrote:
Go with LCG, board game demands 6 players and lots of time.

The Feast for Crows expansion for the board game gives an alternate setup for a 4 player game that plays shorter as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both. But as someone who's kneck-deep in the theme, I find the LCG much more interesting.

The board game focuses on the overarching story of the Houses in conflict, and the bitter rivalries, truces and reluctant alliances that are part of that. I like it and will never turn a game down, but I find it ultimately - I don't know exactly - somewhat unsatisfying. Despite being a long game, I'd rather it was even longer - I sometimes find it's over before I've put my ultimate plan into place. I want something epic and it doesn't quite deliver. I enjoy it, but maybe it doesn't quite suit me and doesn't really encapsulate what interests me about the story.

The card game is all about the characters and the idiosyncrasies of each house, and that's where the theme of the books really comes out, for me. Most of the interactions and synergies between the cards, and the houses, are really well thought out and appropriate. It's been over a decade since I first read the early books and I'm re-reading them again to remind myself of some of the minor characters that appear in the card game, but that I'd overlooked or forgotten from my first time around. All thanks to this game. It's thoroughly absorbing as well as being brilliant mechanically. It's a much shorter game than the board game, but I'm usually mentally drained after a challenging session, so it feels more epic than the time used up would suggest.

Admittedly the above are mostly answers to your question based on thematics. But even as a pure game, I prefer the LCG. Yes, it requires more buy-in, as numerous expansions and chapter packs come out, but that's reflected in the replayability. I've notched up 125 games of just the 2nd edition of the card game so far. I enjoy playing it as much as a 4 player game with my regular group, or 1 on 1 at my LFGS or with my partner. On a cost/play basis that makes it a bloody bargain compared to any other game I own! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can play with 6 or 4 with the expansion, then the board game is a solid pick. If you are playing with 4 or less often, go with the card game. There is also the issue that the board game doesn't, even with expansions, cover the mother of dragons aspect. It is houses only. If theme matters, the card game is a much better offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Sauter
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I absolutely love both of these games! I rarely get to play either of these games!

The board game is a lot longer. Even in my group when we've put a time limit on the planning phase it still lasts a long time, which is why it doesn't make it to the table very often. The general rules of the game are more difficult than the LCG as well. But playing across the board, mustering and moving, capturing and conquering, in my mind it is just a great, fun, thematic experience, as if I'm the Young Wolf with my map of Westeros in front of me, strategizing against the Lions of the Rock!

The LCG is a lot quicker. While the general rules of the game are more simple than the board game, I think the variety of cards and how they potentially interact with other cards, makes the game more complex than the board game. But the theme of the LCG is much richer and deeper in my opinion as you get both major and minor characters, people and places from Westeros that make the immersion more personal, as if I'm the Imp sharing a cup of wine with one I'm about to use or misuse before they do so to me so as to secure my station and bring honor to my house.

Ideally, get into both for the most complete A Song of Ice and Fire experience. With how short and vanilla the LCG can be with just the core, which will most likely lead to more table time for it, that might be your best bet, especially because you can add to it depending on how you and your group accept it. If you have true Brothers of the Night's Watch or devoted and faithful Silent Sisters, go with the board game. If you're like me and love the Westerosi experience and like pretty things on your shelves despite the limited playing time, burn them! Burn them all! Oh, I mean get, get them all! Just ignore that burn stuff and the mad glint of green flame in my eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.