Subject: A game to use in an economics class (Money and Banking). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
We need a game to play in the Money and Banking class. It's really difficult to find something that relates. I did look for geeklists that talk about economics games, but didn't really see anything.

The class meets for 75 minutes. Course description is:

This class will explore the nature and functions of money and banking; relation of money and credit to the Federal Reserve System, and economic goals. During the course of the semester, economic tools and concepts will be developed to help students organize their thinking about financial markets, and about the role of key financial market participants.

Course topics include (from the syllabus):
1. Introduction
 Basic Macro Indicators and Relevant Recent Events
 Overview of the Financial System (Chapters 1-2)
2. Financial Institutions
 Banking and the Management of the Financial Institutions (Chapter 9)
 Financial Crises In Advanced Economies (Chapter 12)
 Economic Analysis of Banking Regulation (Chapter 10)
3. Central Banking and the Conduct of Monetary Policy
 Central Banks: A Global Perspective (Chapter 14)
 The Money Supply Process (Chapter 15)

4. Central Banking and the Conduct of Monetary Policy (If time permits)
 Central Banks and The Federal Reserve System (Chapter 13)
 Money Supply Process (Chapter 14)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashflow 101/Cashflow 202?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stockpile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest doing classwork during class and gaming after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Container
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favourite US Economic Indicator:

"Google: Fewer people are trying to sell a kidney, presumably a sign that Americans are feeling less desperate (it’s illegal, by the way). ”Kidney” had been a top-3 auto-fill for “I want to sell my ... “ on Google for the past two years. Now, it’s “furniture.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rising-off-grid-indicators-...

Stockpile
Speculation

I've not played either of these two but they might fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree that Stockpile is a good choice. It is not really a stock market game since buying and selling does not affect the stock values. The stock values are instead controlled by "event" cards. So the game is really more about bluffing than manipulating values. It's a good game, but it is not the type of economic game that would illustrate real economic principles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the possible problem with game length,Gold! by Avalon Hill.

It's basically investment, market manipulation, and arbitrage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resist the Kakistocracy
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly not applicable, but

Masters of Commerce (aka Panic on Wall Street)

Black Monday (by Sid Sackson)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I can tell, board games need rules which are too simple to allow most economic simulation to occur. And, in general, game designers want to focus on the "fun" aspects of the economy: Speculation or competition

Fiddling around with central banking, regulations, market evaluations, debt, money flow, etc. are all too bland to sell or too complex to do without a computer.

It looks like there are some Monetary Policy games on the web:

http://sffed-education.org/chairthefed/
https://www.ecb.europa.eu/ecb/educational/economia/html/inde...

I haven't tried them, but if they're any good, they should be accessible to anyone with a web browser.

Otherwise, the only game that I see which deals with the economics of a nation is Wealth of Nations. But it seems to deal more with deciding how to optimize your selection of industries, than anything to do with central banking.

If you're looking for class activities, you might need to invent something yourself. Probably, you would need a different game for each chapter anyways. At 6 chapters and $50 per game, you'd be $300 in the hole anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been fond of using Rule #11 in Monopoly for explaining the Federal Reserve and fractional reserve banking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Protect our wildlife parks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a hot mess trying to get an entire class to learn a game. Moreover, unless your class is 5 students or less, it;'s going to cost a good bit of money to buy enough games to get everyone playing.

Seems like a good idea in theory, I'm just not so sure it would work in practice. You need a simple game that is easy to learn and plays fast. Not sure where you can go with that.

Puerto Rico seems like a good game for this except that it's too long and confusing for non-gamers.

In any case, good luck. I don't know if I'd learn anything more than I can learn with actual course material, but it would be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.